2019-2020 Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Dec 2, 2018.

1. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just do it!
    ag_streak likes this.
  2. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    on a 19?
  3. racer

racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Due to health issues, I will be selling my non ABS 2019 CB500X Honda. What is a fair price to ask? 12xx miles, OEM center stand and 12 volt outlet. Has folding levers and a Kaoko throttle locker. Includes an upgraded tool kit and 12 volt air compressor and GPS, with a tank bag and 16 tooth front sprocket. The bike is spotless as new, never off road. Also included is a two year extended warranty that is transferable.

What is a fair price to ask. Located in Southern Indiana.
  4. gehart

gehart Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't help with a price, but I'm sorry to hear about your health problem.
    Captain Lew likes this.
  5. racer

racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Gehart. I talked to my dealer today and he will pick it up and try to sell it. I asked him to get me 5500 dollars. Racer
  6. dirtytroll

dirtytroll Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Big Review :-)
    MotoSpen, jksewell, jojojones and 3 others like this.
  7. beltrack

beltrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    JT 16T sprocket fits.
  8. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any specific product number for the 2019 bike please?
  9. J.Mo

J.Mo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    JTF1381.16RB
    Johnytuono likes this.
  10. sherloc

sherloc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is the 16 tooth one up or one done from standard?
  11. J.Mo

J.Mo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One up.
  12. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, I’m not sure I want to read all the pages....I started at the last post and was working my way backwards. My question is this.....how different is this engine compared to the NC750X engine? Or....how different is the overall performance and seating position? I am using the word performance loosely as I understand this is not a performance machine. I get it.

I currently have a 08 BMW F650GS and a 2013 Street Triple. I really like my BMW but absolutely HATE and DETEST the cost of run of the mill parts that are never in stock ,cost at least twice or three times more than UJM parts and I do not enjoy the dealership I have to use.

The Triple is a total shits n giggles bike and I had one before that I modded up for touring. Took it on a 9 day camping trip carrying all my camp gear and clothes ect,ect. Poor fuel mileage. It’s acceptable for long distance touring but....why? I do really like the pretty neutral seating position though. And it weighs nothing. Ridiculously nothing.

I am now looking with interest at the 2019 CB500X. I like the redesign and the upgrades. I am concerned about the new higher seat height. I would need to fit a soupys link on there. I’m sort of 5”2ish with a short 28ish inseam.

If you are going to say take one for a test ride, no go amigo. No one does testvrides here and it would be a skyscraper for me ,god help me if I couldn’t scoot my butt over quickly enough to get at least a toe tip down and the bike takes a nap.

Someone TL;DR me!

How does this bikes gearing,engine,seat position and general overall feel compare to a NC750X?
  13. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    The 750X is a low rev torque motor while the 500X revs higher and keeps giving after the 6500 rpm mark. You have to shift gears a bit more on the 500. Use the motor and gearbox and it gets along fine and enjoys twisty roads and corners. It is a lot quicker in turning and change of direction than the 750 with its short wheelbase. Fuel economy on both motors is exceptional, even riding the 500 hard. The 750 has that rear tank and great glovebox though. The 500 is more like your Street Triple than it is the 750X. Both great bikes though, parts are easy to get and cheap. Depending on exactly what you want from the bike, i dont think you can go wrong with either one. (Past owner of 650X BMW also)
    JMo (& piglet) likes this.
  14. KevinMcCall

KevinMcCall Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So just as I have made the decision to trade my 2014 V-Strom 1000 on a 2019 CB500X ABS I can't find any for sale. Are they hard to find or maybe I'm just not looking hard enough?
  15. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    @theshnizzle - I rode the CB500F and NC750X back to back. I liked the 500 engine much better. As @Cruz noted, the 750 engine is a low-revving fuel-economy oriented design. Ergos of the F were not for me, and there was no 500X demo, so I went and bought something else.
    Cruz likes this.
  16. Lonebiker

Lonebiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode the NC750X back in 2015. At that time, i owned a Yamaha FZ07 (MT07). The engine of the 750X gave me the impression i was riding a big scooter with clutch. Very linear power spread ... that felt boring to me. And the fuel cap is under the rear seat of the 750X. I ride with a tailbag that stay on the bike. So, for me, it was another point against the 750X. The storage at the usual fuel tank location is great. But it was not enough to win me.
  17. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I want to like the NC750X and may try it again. The DCT was weird, but I can see how it would be awesome riding in traffic, commuting, etc. I tried shifting it manually, but found it worked better in auto mode. I love the frunk, and the ergonomics seemed to suit me. I would run a top case on a rack, so the under-seat fuel filler wouldn't bother me.

Impression during my test ride is that it is a bit dull and appliance like, but perhaps it would normalize with use. After all, for many, it is more about the journey than the machine. Seems like a brilliant piece of engineering, just not sure whether it is for me.

I am 62 and arthritis is affecting my left hand. I suspect the DCT will be welcome before too long.
  18. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Full confession....I had a NC and I absolutely loathed it. Out of all the bikes I have owned I have never hated one until that one. I won’t go into why it didn’t work for me cause all the NC lovers will roast me......again......:augie.....but I spent a lot of money on that NC750X before finally giving up and selling it.

I LOVED the frunk,HATED the engine. Fuel filler under the seat is an annoyance for touring and gets old quickly. Anyway....moving on.

I just want to have some reassurance that the CB engine isn’t the NC engine. Or delivers power in that way.

I have been considering going to the AIME Expo in Cleveland upcoming just so I can ride the 2019 and the GROM. I kinda really want a GROM. But again, with a new seat height of 33 skyscraper inches, it going to be a tough go for me to ride it.
  19. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I'm going to chime in on this because of the bikes I've owned. I've owned several BMW F650 and G650 singles (7 total). I also had an NC700X. I currently own an X ADV 750. I test rode the CB500F. I sat on the 2019 CB500X a couple of weeks ago.

The 750 cc on the NC is very different than the 700. The 750 is much better. I'm a DCT fan. I used to think that I was too much of a control freak to enjoy the DCT but that thing is a gem. I can see why some people don't like the 700X. I always felt it needed a bit more oomph and because mine was a manual, I always rode it to the red line. I don't have that feeling/ need on my X ADV. I now mostly ride the X ADV in manual unless I find myself in heavy traffic. I love pinning that throttle down while going up in gears. It's so much fun!

Before I bought my NC700X, I test rode the CB500F. It's a fun engine that loves to be revved up. The chassis of the CB was so good that it left me wanting for more power. So I went with the NC700X. I didn't get to test ride the CB500X but at the time, I didn't think the X would be much different from the F. I didn't keep my NC very long and often thought I should have bought the CB500F. If the little CB had a different styling, I would have probably bought it back then.

Fast forward to this summer and the new X is actually quite different. The riding position is different from the previous version and the wheels will offer a different handling. I can't help but compare it to the old BMW F650. They share the same specs (power and weight). The new X is a better F/G 650. I bought a G650GS in 2016. My bike had lots of issues. There was a recall on the G650GS at the time (which the dealer didn't mention it at the time of sale). I swore it would be my last BMW single. The new CB500X fits me in every way. It's got enough performance to keep riders entertained. It's cheap to run and insure (like the old BMW F650). A twin cylinder means it won't have the problems of a single cyclinder. I really, really like it. It is on my list of bikes to buy. I just have 1 or 2 bikes ahead of this one.
  20. Tuff Tunica

Tuff Tunica Moto-Skiveez creator

Oddometer:
    Racer, sorry to hear of your issues. I would have been happy to pick up your bike but just got one last month. I have a question, I have been searching for the OEM center stand and factory luggage racks for the OEM hard cases. NO dealer seems to be able to source these items. Since you are saying your bike has the OEM center stand, I am curiuos to know how you obtained this?

Thank you in advance and best of luck with your situation.
    ag_streak likes this.