2019-2020 Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Dec 2, 2018.

1. racer

racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    The OEM center stands are now available through HOnda dealers. I think they became available after September 1st. Call your dealer and he should be able to order one. Racer
  2. sscardefield

sscardefield Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I picked up my 2019 a couple weeks ago. After spending the last couple nights reading through this forum along with a couple others I am left with just a few outstanding questions before I pull the trigger on my Rally Raid order along with some other odds and ends.

1. Is the windscreen the same on the 2019 as the previous years? In comparing the pictures I can't tell. I would like to swap out the stock with something possibly just a smidge taller and dark smoke or black.

2. Are the foot pegs (or at least the mounting) the same on the 2019 as the previous years? I would like to get some lowering pegs but the few I have been able to find all only mention up to 2018. I have only been able to find one reference on another forum to them with regards to the 2019's and the guy says he is running previous year pegs on his 2019 with no issue.

3. I would like to get the Scorpion exhaust from Rally Raid. It's hard to tell, but in pictures it looks like it might sit just a bit higher than the stock exhaust. Does anybody know if the Scorpion exhaust will interfere with me running hard panniers (more than likely SW Motech Trax 37L's)? If so is there another option that sits lower? Or I'm guessing I could always just make a longer mounting bracket for it to hang lower and then have the mid-pipe modified if need be?

Thanks!

kft_01_400_50001_b_2_xl.jpg 2b8a39b0a0805a9042a7ce9eb9ebb66b.jpg
  3. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hi sscardefield - I can't help with regards to the screen, but the footrest hangers are carried over from the 2017-18 bikes to the 2019, so all year aftermarket foot-pegs ought to fit the same.

As for the Scorpion exhaust - the pipe exits are pretty much the top of the tyre, so it might be cosy if you've got larger/deeper panniers on there - plus it's shorter, so the exhaust [gas] is going to exit directly underneath the pannier too. If you're not worried about weight so much (with hard luggage) then it might be better to stick with the stock silencer, at least initially... although personally I'd go with the Scorpion pipe and soft luggage of course ;o)

Hope that helps...

Jenny x
  4. dereck74

dereck74 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can someone please recommend me a smartphone holder suitable for the small diameter bar fitted on the windscreen of the CB500X Model Year 2019? Thanks in advance.
  5. MotoSpen

MotoSpen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @KevinMcCall I can't speak for the US, but here in Canada, I was lucky to find my 2019 CBX (purchased last month). According to my dealership, Honda has been cutting back on the number of bikes they release due to a high number of non-currents still collecting dust on the showroom floors. If you're lucky a dealership might offer to search the inventory of other shops in your area and ship it. That's what they did for mine. Best of luck!
    KevinMcCall likes this.
  6. MotoSpen

MotoSpen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @dereck74 I was able to just barely fit the U-bolt mount on the top windscreen bar. I used a piece of rubberband in between the mount to help it grip. No problems on bumpy dirt roads.

70505352_1138620186527098_3839834812848275456_n.jpg

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-149Z-A-UN10U
    dereck74 likes this.
  7. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The screen is slightly taller than the previous models. Much less buffeting on the 19 compared to previous model, although this may be partly due to the redesigned fairing as well as the screen.
  8. racer

racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used a small piece of rubber hose, half inch ID, to make the cross bar larger in diameter to hold the RAM ball mount U-bolt. Racer
    ag_streak likes this.
  9. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Be aware that if you order the right/latest version of the RAM U bolt, it comes with an insert to reduce the diameter to 1/2":

[​IMG]

Jx
    dereck74 and ag_streak like this.
  10. Manray

Manray Killing Time

Oddometer:
    There is a new black 2019 CB500X for sale at a dealership in Toronto (Powersports T.O.). It's been sitting for sale since June. I'm pretty sure someone can get a great deal on the bike now....
    KevinMcCall likes this.
  11. KevinMcCall

KevinMcCall Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think I finally found one. They are telling me that it's the last 2019 with ABS available in the US. Not sure if that's true but I put down a deposit on it and will pick it up next weekend. I will begin defarkling the V-Strom this weekend. In my search I came across several new 2018 models still unsold. Also found a couple non-ABS 2019s as well.

Regarding the GPS mount, I have always had good results with the RAM U-Bolt. I came across this from a fellow inmate and am going to give it a try. My first farkle for the new bike. :-)
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/gps-...-1-2-cross-bar-by-motopumps-usa-made.1393787/

Now if you'll excuse me, it's time to back and scan/search the previous 73 pages for links to the center stand and crash/light bars. Back in a bit...
    MotoSpen likes this.
  12. lighthorse

lighthorse n00b

Oddometer:
    After a long wait
    ive finally got to buy one of these
    so i cant wait to pick it up from the dealer (perth australia) 5 more days and i shall be on the road
    2019-Honda-CB500X-ABS3.jpg
    DeeEll, MotoSpen, pegote and 5 others like this.
  13. antwon412

antwon412 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought I didn’t like the black color scheme. But it looks really good in that picture.

Congrats! You’ll love it. It’s my favorite bike I’ve owned.
  14. sscardefield

sscardefield Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thanks for the info.
  15. sscardefield

sscardefield Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For those of you with the RR Engine Guard, do you have any concerns about it not wrapping up slightly on the right side to protect the bottom couple inches of the exhaust down tubes? The only other skid plate I have been able to find so far is from SRC Moto and it does protect the pipes. It looks like a well made piece, but it also looks heavy and is a little more expensive than the RR. I also think the RR plate looks a little better.
  16. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi sscardefield - someone asked essentially the same question on another forum recently, so forgive me if I simply copy and paste my answer, as I trust it covers your potential concerns:

With regard to the headers on the CB, they have not proved vulnerable - both during our initial testing when the guard was originally designed, and subsequently over a lot of real-world use with dozens if not hundreds of customers, not least the Rubicon Trail video you may well have already seen - I'd say that is about as gnarly as it gets for an ADV bike!

Unless you were to mis-time trying to cross a large log or rock and wedge it between the back of the wheel and the engine, there is actually very little chance of hitting the headers on anything (note that they are actually higher than the bottom of the engine/engine guard anyway)...

In addition, there is actually very little space between the headers and the back of the rear fender when the suspension is fully compressed, so unless a guard was very close to the headers (which would have its own disadvantages - see below), there is a danger it could come into contact with the front of the guard.

I'm sure you also appreciate that having the headers in the open air like that also aids cooling, and stops the engine guard potentially acting like an echo chamber around the engine, which can lead to increased noise.

As I say, the design works very well and I'm not aware of anyone saying they've damaged their headers due to any lack of coverage there. Of course if you are concerned about more general road dirt/stone damage to the pipes, then a fender extender is a good idea perhaps, although again in practice (and particularly off-road) those have not proved necessary for the CB either.

Hope that clarifies things!

Jenny x
    DeeEll likes this.
  17. sscardefield

sscardefield Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome, good stuff. Thanks for the info and thanks for all your participation in general, it has been very helpful.
  18. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. MotoSpen

MotoSpen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My favourite comments about this bike is when people ask me if it's an Africa Twin. :brow

Halfrica Twins for the win!

But for real, Honda did a great job re-styling the 2019. I'm glad I went for this year's model. The changes they've made have really made this stand out in the lightweight adventure bike category.
  20. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi
    Am after a bit of info please. Is there a kit available to fit a high front fender on an ABS 2019 model ?