2019-2020 Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Dec 2, 2018.

1. bmah

bmah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why didn’t you use the supplied washers/spacers for that very purpose? I used them and everything cinched up nice and tight.
  2. Boxmonkey

Boxmonkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I picked up my 19 on the 28th. The local dealer had one all summer long, until I finally made up my mind to buy one. Luckily they were able to find one a few hours away, or I was driving to IN to get the one I saw there.
    I have my RR plate on back order, but I have picked up a few other accessories to keep me busy until it arrives.
    MotoSpen, ag_streak and Hannda like this.
  3. antwon412

antwon412 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it’s perfectly fine on the freeway. I’ve had mine at 80 for extended periods and. It still has passing power. Though some people will tell you unless it’s a 1400cc, 175hp ZX-14 it’s not possible to ride on the freeway....
    Hannda likes this.
  4. jojojones

jojojones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Me too...75 seems the sweet spot for me but 80 easy and even 90 but I get buffeting above 85.
  5. emmi

emmi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ? I did and they still bottomed out on me.
  6. bmah

bmah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You bought the risers for 1 1/8” bars?
  7. emmi

emmi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tusk 30mm Risers for 1 1/8" bars. FWIW the supplied bolts fit fine in the front. It was the rears which bottomed out. I took a piece of welding wire to measure the depth and I needed to trim about 10mm off of the bolts (with the included spacers x1). No biggie.
  8. MotoSpen

MotoSpen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ordered my RR engine guard on backorder as well last month. They were pretty quick about it! Mine was about another week until they shipped it but it could depend on the quantity of orders coming in. They told me 2-3 weeks originally but it came much sooner than that.
  9. BMWs2Dave

BMWs2Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do not own a 2019 CB500x yet, but was wondering, can the ABS be turned of on this bike? that would make it much better suited for dirt roads and off road riding.
  10. J.Mo

J.Mo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nope.... Sadly enough. You can pull the main abs fuse but that's it. Rally raid sells a switch that you can connect to disengage the abs tho. Although it's not specified on the 19 model page so not entirely sure it matches.
  11. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Ride one on the dirt before deciding what the bike can or cant do. You may be surprised.
    MotoSpen, Hannda and Dean Ohlin like this.
  12. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Do you still have the oem tyres on Dave? If it is dry then they will be okay for Jimna etc, but dont even think about it if it is damp even, let alone wet.
  13. Wanderchris

Wanderchris n00b

Oddometer:
    What adjustments did you make to suit your height? I am almost 6’2” and generally big and though I like the bike I have a feeling that a) it’s not gonna be comfortable and b) I will look funny riding it lol.
  14. BMWs2Dave

BMWs2Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From my experience with a previously owned dual sport motorcycle, ABS was terrible off road. it was like having no brakes at all on lose surfaces.
  15. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    I see lots and lots of posts about farkling this bike into a dirt bike. Do any of you owners just use it as a road bike? Maybe even if that means paved and easy dirt roads, but no trails?

I think it may be a fun road bike but I'm getting the impression that I'm the only one . . . and that usually means I'm wrong. Comments welcome, even if they're only to tell me why I'm wrong.
  16. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do, i've no intention of making it more off roadie or putting more dirt orientated tyres on. If i do go off pavement, its only a gravel road, hard pack in the dry, or across campsite field.
    I've always liked adventure bikes for the road, being tall they fit me well and you can load em up with bags for touring. I've always rode the big adventure bikes, S10, Strom, Tiger etc, but i'm liking lighter weight these days and the CB5X still has just enough power for me. Its excellent fuel economy adds to its touring potential.
    Hannda likes this.
  17. J.Mo

J.Mo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No until now just used it on roads and some gravel. I'm coming from a r1200gs and find it still a nice bike. Less horsepower but a lot more nimble. Also easier in busy traffic splitting lanes.
    Hannda likes this.
  18. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    Thank you.:thumb I like the upright seating position of an adventure style bike. But at only 5'8" with a 30" inseam, old and wimpy, I no longer have a desire for something tall and heavy. The looks and specs of this bike appeal to me, I just want to know if everyone/anyone is happy with it on the road. I've looked at a dozen reviews and they all want to tell me how good it could be off road but only one guy mentioned its on road ability and he said he didn't like it as much as the WeeStrom.
    Thanks for providing your perspective.
  19. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    My BMW XChallenge was like that too, but i havent had a problem with the ABS on dirt or bitumen with the 500X.
  20. jojojones

jojojones Been here awhile

Oddometer:

if you have a center stand it's even easier...just spin the front wheel while stopped...it will temporarily defeat the abs until next power on.
    Johnytuono likes this.