2019-2020 Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Dec 2, 2018.

1. crfnick56

crfnick56 n00b

Oddometer:
    Maybe it has been covered because I haven't check all 80 pages but I looked in the recent few and didn't see an answer. I'm looking at a skid plate for my 2019, Specifically the SW Motech and the Rally-raid but there is quite a bit of confusion on what fits what. The SW Motech site says it fits 18-19, but twistedthrottle.com (USA Distributor) has the same skid plate listed as fitting 13-18, not 2019. Rally-raid lists the 13-18 separate from the 2019 so I am really just guessing that 2019 is specific to that year, am I correct?
  2. fastnlight

fastnlight Repeat Offender

Oddometer:
    After buying the rally raid plate and seeing the fit and clearance on a friends 2019 model before my 2019 even arrived in the garage, I decided to sell it and wait for another sturdy option. The sw motech plate specific to the 2019 landed at least on the european market a week ago. My calls to source it in the usa went nowhere and they are roughly 6 to 8 weeks out from making it available over here. They simply dont have the unit you need even listed on their site. Sw Motech wont ship direct over to here either. So I placed an order in the UK, paid some extra shipping, and have one on the way for my ABS 2019 model. There are at least a couple of RR plate owners with metal skills who have plans to modify them for better fit, and there are at least two other options on ebay for less sturdy mounted designs that may be fine as debris guards.

Here is the 2019 fitting sw motech plate. https://sw-motech.com/en/bike/HONDA...cts/protection/engine+guard/4052572178041.htm

Greg
    William42 likes this.
  3. sscardefield

sscardefield Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What specifically about the RR plate bothered you enough to sell it and go a different route?
  4. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    The 2019 bike has a fatter catalytic converter, so any engine guard has to be lower to go under that (compared to the 2013-18 bikes). The Rally-Raid guard for the 2019 bike uses a pair of brackets at the front (to primarily aid fitting, as you can now fit the brackets one at a time, then attach the guard), and a longer U bracket at the back so the flat underside of the engine guard remains level under the engine.

Jx
  5. lighthorse

lighthorse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hi all finally got to pick up my new machine
    and wow what a great bike just clicked over 500kms
    and love the bike so far

Adam
  6. fastnlight

Oddometer:
    The RR plate was a strongly built unit and I liked the side bars built in but when I was able to see one installed, I quickly realized that it was not redesigned so much as retrofitted for the newer model. That can be fine, but there are a couple of spacers used in the front to simply lower the guard downward for clearance of the larger cat and header pipes. It lost significant clearance in the process and the leading edge was lower than the rear looking much like a square edged shovel blade hanging well under the bike looking like a natural catch/impact point. Now the unit is strong enough to take some hits, but a recent report from an east coast rider confirmed my worry about hanging up on obstacles that another more ski like design would glance off of lessening the impact by design. Not much clearance on the bike to start with and I want to make the most of it. Examine pics installed from the side, compare it with pics of the plate installed on earlier models, or see one in person and draw your own conclusions.

Once I have the new plate installed, I can get pics and measurements of them side by side to clarify the differences.

Greg
    simplemind likes this.
  7. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Greg - they are not 'spacers' they are brackets so you can mount each one individually (rather than have to undo both engine mount bolts at the same time, and potentially have the frame spars spring forward slightly) - allowing you to fit and remove the main engine guard more easily than before.

They are longer as the whole engine guard needs to be lower to clear the new [fatter] exhaust catalytic converter, and the reason the guard hangs slightly lower at the front is because John didn't want to compromise the overall ground clearance any more than was necessary - ie. keeping it tucked up towards the rear.

I would agree the additional space under the engine on the left hand side is not ideal, but that is what was required to keep a flat bottom to the skid-plate section - unless you choose to put a step in the underside (or retrofit an earlier catalytic converter/header or aftermarket header), you are limited as to what can be done.

I agree the 2019 version of the RR engine guard does not look as elegant when fitted as the previous model version, but their are limited other options if you want to retain a flat underside (as a skid plate) now that Honda have fitted a Euro 5 Cat to the bike.

Jx
  8. Boxmonkey

Boxmonkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_20191013_183639182.jpg IMG_20191013_183740101.jpg IMG_20191013_183725619.jpg IMG_20191013_183606653.jpg
    I was able to finally get my new screen, deflectors, and skid plate installed. My bike will see very little off road use other than gravel and a few forest service roads. It will also be limited to day trips, but mostly commuting. Other than the skid plate the other accessories will seem light duty compared to most. I am enjoying the bike, as it has rekindled my urge to get out and ride.
    Bors, KevinMcCall, J.Mo and 3 others like this.
  9. antwon412

antwon412 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well the windscreen is strong! Hit a turkey at about 50m0h today. Smacked the screen so hard it folded my iPad mini down flat. Pulled over. Plucked all the feathers out of various nooks and crannies and looked everything over real good.
    No damage!
    DaFoole, 78er, TimmyTheHog and 2 others like this.
  10. fastnlight

Oddometer:
    I know the terms get used pretty loosely but the function is worth considering as well.

But the definitions help...bracket - hold or attach by means of a right-angled support. Spacer - a device or piece used to create or maintain a desired amount of space.

Here is the part,
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZPjgJdHgeuwee41V9

On the 2018 and earlier models, the silver part is not included or required and the engine guard mounts directly to the black engine/frame bolt.
    On the 2019 model, the engine guard kit includes the silver parts which they refer to as "mounts" that effective move the assembly downward to add that clearance for pipes and cat.

Adding a step or second dropped surface to the plate to gain clearance for the cat, and providing some simple cuts in the leading plate edge for pipe clearance, could provide clearance enough to remove the spacers from the kit, which is what some owners have been measuring and considering doing in their own garages. There are limited options for this bike, and we all appreciate options existing in any form Jenny. Now how about some folding foot levers to fit the 2019 model? I have not identified a single option yet.

Greg
    J.Mo likes this.
  11. KevinMcCall

KevinMcCall Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Boxmonkey, is that the R&G kickstand pad?
  12. Boxmonkey

Boxmonkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes it is Mr.McCall. I wish it was black but it does the job.
    KevinMcCall likes this.
  13. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Greg - again, those brackets are there primarily to make fitting and removing the guard easier - they also happen, in the case of the 2019 model, to lower the front of the [original shape] guard sufficiently to clear the fatter header/catalytic converter assembly - although it's worth noting that the 2019 engine guard did need a slightly longer bracket at the rear too, to help level it out.

There is no desire to remove the billet mounting brackets from the kit - indeed, it was always the intention to have that kind of separate forward mount for the earlier generation bikes too (something I highlighted/suggested as far back as 2015 after my Trans-Am ride) - as some people have had problems trying to line up both engine bolts along with the guard when mounting it initially*

* note. you only have to undo and replace the forward engine mount bolts once to fit the RR engine guard, since it is designed to subsequently pivot down (by just loosening these two bolts a couple of turns) for access to the sump plug for changing the oil. However, some people do like to remove the guard completely for cleaning etc. hence the introduction of the separate billet mounts.

However, currently using the new billet brackets with the existing cradle means the guard does hang rather lower than ideal on the 2013-18 bikes, hence why the engine guard for those models is not currently supplied with the brackets until the jigs can be revised.

As for the suggestion of cutting a step in the underside of the cradle [to fit around the fatter Cat on the 2019 bikes] - that would result in an uneven skid-plate section which potentially could get hung-up on obstacles, and would also make using a scissor lift more precarious than having a completely flat underside.

Hope that clarifies things...

Jx
  14. jojojones

jojojones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OneAUout likes this.
  15. dafish

dafish Mr fish

Oddometer:
    He is a nice guy
  16. WTW

WTW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OEM center-stand part # 08M70-MKP-J80 just installed it
    Dean Ohlin and KevinMcCall like this.
  17. KevinMcCall

KevinMcCall Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you get it from your dealer or were you able to get it online?

Nevermind, found it online and ordered it.
  18. Long Ride

Long Ride Don't let up!

Oddometer:
    Racer, do you still have the bike for sale? If so where in Southern Indiana?
  19. racer

racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, but thanks for asking. I felt so bad after just two chemo treatments, that I took the bike to the Honda dealer to sell for me. However, a couple weeks later, I decided to stop chemo and am now feeling much better, so I went and got the bike. Going to ride until the cancer gets the best of me. Racer
  20. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good luck with your journey. :thumbup