2019-2020 Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Dec 2, 2018.

1. fastnlight

fastnlight Repeat Offender

Oddometer:
  2. KevinMcCall

KevinMcCall Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone have Givi Dolomiti cases on their CB500X? I have read somewhere (possibly further back in this thread) that he PL1121 rack will work.

However, Revzilla's site says it's not compatible. Twisted Throttle's says it is compatible and there are different pieces of hardware needed for the 2019 model vs prior model years. I just so happen to live a few miles from the Givi Charlotte location so I stopped in to see what they had to say (and buy the rack) but was told that it's not compatible. They said they are working on a new rack that might be available either around the end of the year or sometime next spring.

Then I found this video of the bike with the Dolomiti cases on it. Not sure if it's a custom rack or a Givi rack, though. I'm a little concerned that the exhaust might get that right case a bit hot after a while. I know Givi included a redirect for the exhaust for models prior to 2019.

For now, I'm enjoying being minimalist with just a small tail bag but I own the Dolomiti's and would like to either use them if I can or sell them and get something else if I can't.
  3. dirtytroll

dirtytroll Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. jojojones

jojojones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. dirtytroll

dirtytroll Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. jojojones

Oddometer:
    I thought the same thing that they weren't that much lower but they are lower and they are certainly wider and get better grip any conditions. So they have worked well for me and I do notice it's easier on my knees at 6'1".

Your question reminds me that I do need to contact Knight designs and inquire how much lower they believe them to be vs reality. The inserts are removable and they are coming out with rubber ones too.
    dirtytroll likes this.
  7. dirtytroll

dirtytroll Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Considering spoked wheels for your CB500X? Here is some info :-)
  8. jojojones

Oddometer:
    another good video but isn't the spoked wheel less rigid and able to flex/dissipate extreme loads that might break a cast wheel?
  9. dirtytroll

dirtytroll Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had to check google translate. It seems like rigid means "not able to bend", I used the word in the meaning "stronger". What I actually ment is what you say :-) Sorry about my English. I asked my brother what he think of my English and he said Im "improving". I was quite happy with that :D
  10. jojojones

Oddometer:
    That's what I thought. It's impressive that rally raid got the weight of the wheels to be the same.
    dirtytroll likes this.
  11. dirtytroll

dirtytroll Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, usually spoked wheels is heavier than cast. But the RR is narrower and that saves weight I suppose.
  12. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    The new wheel has a significant weight improvement over the earlier one also.

My 19" RR wheels for the 2016 model (in fact any pre 2019 models) weighting in at 7.2kgs - even if being lighter due not having the bartubeless treatment.
    dirtytroll likes this.
  13. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    You guys might be interested in this? (cross posting from the original cb500x topic, as I see many of you not really frequent there)
    So I've designed a few things.
    A full wrench set, containing 24, 19, 17, 14, 12, 10 (both closed and open end), 8, 6, spoke wrench (doubles as a bottle opener :-)
    All the bigger size spanners will be relieved at the corners (just as you see the 24 size right now) to provide a better grip on the bolts/nuts and avoid rounding them and also eliminate sharp corners what could theoretically start cracks.
    I can also add further holes along the stems to loose weight while retaining rigidity.
    The pairs are thought to work together:
    - Rear axle needs 19 on the bolt and 24 on the nut, and the 10-14 can be used as an extension lever (with a self supplied 10 mm allen key) to loosen the rear axle for chain adjustment or wheel removal.
    - 12-14 being separate so one can work on the oem chain adjusters
    - 14 and 17 are the two ends of the suspension linkage
    - I'm running spoked wheels on the X, so the tool has a wheel spoke spanner - which doubles as a bottle opener too ;-)
    - added a combination part to be able to hold 10-8 and 6 mm bolts which require relative low torque.
    - The 10 end of the 10-14 is open to allow adjustment of the gear linkage (might do the same with the 14 to be able to work on the mirror)
    - one can use an inexpensive and light hex tool with the 19 or 17 spanners to remove the front wheel.

In case Solidworks calculates weight properly and I'm not screwing something up too much, these three cut from Stainless steeel would be about 220gr. If I'd cut the 24 size spanner from 8mm and the other two from 6mm AlMg3 alloy they should be only slightly heavier than 105 gr together.

Edit: the weight calculations look way too optimistic to me. I guess that the calculated weights are for the heaviest part, so I'd say the whole set would be about 500gr for the SS, and roughly 240gr for the alloy ones.

Also designed a special tool for the head bearing nut, as it would be more convenient if I could use my normal torque wrench to set proper bearing tension than just a plain spanner.
    Open to suggestions.

Attached Files:

78er likes this.
  14. jojojones

Oddometer:
    this looks great. How much of it pertains to the 19s?
  15. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    All of it. The change on the 19 bikes is that the front axle inner hex is not 17 but 19, and upper pinch bolts are changed from 12mm to 10mm.
  16. fastnlight

Oddometer:
    Got the SW Motech engine guard mounted and it went together well. Front bars take the place of stock spacers on front engine mounts using factory bolts maintaining stock dimensions. Rear mounts drop down from hangers on each side of rear engine mount. Longer through bolt included in kit to add room for mounts on each end. Everything is very strong and you could use a lift under the plate to raise the bike.

Greg

https://photos.app.goo.gl/W9fJbcyRpD1U8Szx9

Front mounts are both similar
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/CcPuYMvzSeL8spzy5

Rear mounts are surprisingly thick steel
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/xE81xFU138YYF5aYA
    William42, dirtytroll and J.Mo like this.
  17. dirtytroll

dirtytroll Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So this means that the Sw Motech actually is mounted to the frame instead of the engine ?. Do you know the weight of it ?
  18. fastnlight

Oddometer:
    Yes, it mounts to frame points on the bike. At front and rear locations where the engine also mounts to the frame. I did not weigh it but the plate itself is all aluminum, and the mounting parts are steel.

Greg
    dirtytroll likes this.
  19. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So how would this fit with the SW Motech crash bars already fitted?
  20. Redwags

Redwags Where's the Trail? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Full time RVer with Moto Guzzi stelvio or XChallen
    Carolina
    Yee Haw keep posting....
    I’m 73. 250lb 6ft 4” and looking for something lighter. But I don’t want something that will beat me up when I have to pound out 4000 + mile round trip out to California for my my annual ride with my buddies .
    Most of my riding is back road riding. I use my 650 exchallenge for my off highway traveling.
    The perfect ride for me is to keep taking any road that looks smaller or twistier and then let the GPS get me to a motel!!
    KevinMcCall likes this.