2019-2020 Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Dec 2, 2018.

1. fastnlight

fastnlight Repeat Offender

Oddometer:
    Just measured clearance on motech skid plate/engine guard. 7 1/4in at front and 6 3/4in at rear with bike leveled, no rider, and stock tires. Nearly identical to my vfr1200x with plate but this bike has a much shorter wheelbase for better breakover angle.

Based on the places I have taken the larger bike, I am very happy with that. May hold off on RR lift for a while.

Greg
  2. fastnlight

Oddometer:
    One other note,

Running stock tires at stock pressures really exposes the limits of the suspension which I have moderately increased the preload front and rear. Lowering the pressures to 26 and 36 feels much better. With a 210lb total load.

Greg
  3. fastnlight

Oddometer:
    If you have heel clearance issues, just remove the heat shield. Problem solved and doesnt look half bad. Being so low, it serves no purpose for me anyway. The little mounting tabs could easily be cut off if your feeling picky. About a pound of weight to loose as well.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4e6JM69sHw8wWxVDA

Greg
  4. fastnlight

Oddometer:
    Looks like a direct no conflict fit. Spacers and longer bolts are used at front lower frame mounting points. I have hepco and becker bars that mount even simpler.

Greg
  5. J.Mo

J.Mo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fitted the 230mm black Widow exhaust. Sound is decent and not too load. Nice pops when getting off the gas. Only at highway speeds I think the original exhaust was more pleasant. That was what I liked about my 1200gs dohc which had a valve that opened when getting on the throttle then resulting in a nice roar. Rest off the time it was not load at all.

Can someone tell me I fitted it good enough? First time I change an exhaust. The link pipe is not 100 procent straight with the original pipe piece. Had some leaks in the beginning but after tightening the clamps pretty hard it seems OK now. IMG_20191022_140520.jpg IMG_20191017_162306.jpg IMG_20191017_162311_1.jpg
  6. sscardefield

sscardefield Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey JoJo, have you gotten a chance to figure out how much of a drop you actually got with the Knights? I was planning on getting the Knights as well since they are supposed to be over an inch, but if in reality they are only providing .5" then I think I'd rather just go with the SW-Motech Ion's that are listed at .5".
  7. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks ok to me, looks great in fact and obviously looks better than the stock. Hard to tell from only the pics if the link pipe is situated correctly. If the centerstand stop tab is in the right place, then it should be good.
    Did they give you a tube of exhaust sealant ? you shouldn't have leaks if you used this.
  8. sherloc

sherloc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks great, what’s the project cost for a set in alloy and\or stainless?

Thx!
  9. sherloc

sherloc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will a center stand work with this skid plate?
  10. fastnlight

Oddometer:
    sherloc and KevinMcCall like this.
  11. J.Mo

J.Mo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah used the exhaust sealant. But apparantly I didn't tighten the clamps strong enough the first time as the sealant escaped and splattered out of the connections.
    After tightening now it seems ok but I think there's maybe not many sealant left...

Will keep an eye on it.
  12. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I had a reply off SW Motech re the centre stand and they can only assure me that theirs will but they haven't tried the skid plate with the OEM centre stand.
  13. fastnlight

Oddometer:
    Try finding the install instructions for the center stand you want, and compare those details. I would be happy to provide any detailed pics or other info needed from my end.

Greg
    sherloc likes this.
  14. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks...I already have the OEM centre stand and SW Motech crash bars installed
  15. PLJ.

PLJ. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in agreement with the tire pressure change. Hard packed sand roads, loose gravel, etc. 25 psi in front, 30 psi in rear helped handling a ton.
  16. dereck74

dereck74 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Regarding tire pressure, don't you find a bit strange that the specifications printed in the label indicate the same figure (2.8 if I recall correctly) for front and rear tire? Do you think that such figure could be correct for normal road use (I do not go off road)?
  17. J.Mo

J.Mo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same pressure? Itt says 2.0 front and 2.8 rear? That's quite a difference. More than I ever experienced on previous bikes
  18. dereck74

dereck74 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You are right. I just checked and realised that I was wrong. I apologise for my mistake.
  19. jojojones

jojojones Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Sorry I do not have the oem pegs around to compare. The knights are lower and did help my knees but when I swapped them they did not seem to be as low as Knight said.
  20. jojojones

jojojones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wow "Desert X"...will honda answer with something real??? 11/5 will be a big day for ADV bikes!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]