2019-2020 Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Pixturethis

Pixturethis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Greg, how does the CB500X do at 75mph ? I was only getting 36mpg on my DL650. That is really as fast as I will go, so the smaller engine isn't a problem for me. I wish I could find a bike that handles like the XT in the dirt and was bigger,, but I know that would be hard to do .
    jamboa likes this.
  2. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    I came from a 86 model 600 Transalp to the 500X in 2013. The Transalp was a great all-rounder but due to an injury it just wasn't comfortable to ride any more. 500X replaced it with the thought it would just be a road bike and maybe good hardpack dirt roads. Didn't take long to start finding out where the 500X could go, even with the OEM tyres on. Found it to be an excellent handling bike with cheap suspension. Smoothness, fuel economy, braking, running costs are all better on the 500X. Then fitted TKC80's and ventured everywhere I used to take the Transalp. Handles on road better than the Transalp too. With the RR2 pack fitted it just improved the bike even more. Over 40,000 klms now, and not a single nut or bolt loose or any problem of any kind.
    Will be interesting to see how it goes up against the new Tenere.

_20190802_192426.JPG
    Swanster and chris4652009 like this.
  3. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    59 years old and 178 cm and fits great. Take mine in some reasonably hard places off road with no problems. The linear power delivery actually helps on loose rock and muddy conditions, not spinning the rear constantly. A very easy to ride bike that handles far better than you may ever think it should.
  4. fastnlight

fastnlight Repeat Offender

Oddometer:
    It does great at 75 or even 80. I just did a 400mile cold weather loop a few days ago and was able to cruise around 80 without issue. I am not a small guy and it doesnt really slow in highway response until it reaches the low 90s sitting straight up in the wind at 6'3". Slow rise past 95 and tops out just above 100 for me. Riding at these speeds and agressively for a full tank, I still was just over 50mpg verified. Riding the next tank aggressive but less prolonged speed got me 56mpg. I noticed a huge jump if you stay under 4k rpm. Jumps into the 70s and above. I am happy to have well over 200 miles of range no matter how I ride it.

I also ride a vfr1200x for my loooong day rides so I do know what it feels like to have lots of power. The 500x is fun and capable at higher speeds. It does not feel stretched.

Greg
    Cruz likes this.
  5. jojojones

jojojones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i run it 70-80 all day, sometimes 90. I noticed a big change after 4k miles the moter loosened up and felt better at higher speeds. 74-76 is sweet spot for me all day long...63 is the sh_t spot...vibes but only there.
  6. Pixturethis

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thanks. I'll be going to my dealer today. Sounds like a great new bike to have.
    Thanks Marc
  7. Swanster

Swanster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for Transalp replies :-)
    I'll keep looking for a CB5
  8. J.Mo

J.Mo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same here. The bike sits perfectly fine at highway speeds. No stress at all on the engine.

But the vibrations are really annoying at around 105-115 km/h. Below that again no problem. It's my only complaint with this bike and it's really a shame Honda didn't get to fixing this issue.

I have sw-motech crash bars and although some people state they don't make the vibrations worse, I still have the feeling they made it slightly worse.
  9. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    It isn't the speed but the revs that the motor happens to be at when those speeds are occurring. There is a window of around 350 rpm where a bit more vibration is felt, then it smooths out above or below that. Usually between 5,700 rpm to around 6,200 rpm, depending on each bike.
  10. fastnlight

fastnlight Repeat Offender

Oddometer:
    I have not noticed a vibration heavy rpm band on my bike. I am almost afraid to start looking for one. ......

Greg
    appliance57 and bbrz like this.
  11. J.Mo

J.Mo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seriously? Man you're lucky. It's really obvious on my 2019 bike around 5000 - 5500 rpm. I just try to ride around that rpm range as it's rather uncomfortable.
  12. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    Mine don't vibrate at all.
  13. Swanster

Swanster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Matt Roberts, MotoGP commentator takes the new CB500X off road.

The_Precious_Juice and bmah like this.
  14. Pixturethis

Oddometer:
    Well I put a down payment on a aBS 2019. Should pick it up on Saturday.
  15. One67

One67 Tell 'em the captain sent ya.

Oddometer:

You won't regret it.
    I've got a few bikes, but the little Honda is the one that brings out a smile.
    It's just got a sweet easy going nature.
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  16. Aikenrunner

Aikenrunner 18 KTM 690 Enduro, 14 CB500X RR Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 2014 X doesn't vibrate at all but I admit that I don't ride much at all above 65.
  17. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Take the crash bars off and retorque the mounts correctly and take it for a few decent rides. Report back. Only heard from owners with crash bars mounted who have complained of vibrations like you mention.
  18. Michel59

Michel59 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wife announced me last year that she will pass motorcycle driving licence. She actually ride a '2000 TW125. For her 50th (October 21st), I have ordered a 500X 2019 on February 27th! It has arrived at dealer on August 2nd, will go to pick it up on November 29th! I have decided for the motorcycle as she is not interrested by model selection, she has decided for the color : red!
    Wife is passing exam tomorow morning, cross fingers!
    dirtytroll and Cruz like this.
  19. J.Mo

J.Mo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, will do this in the next days when I find the time. Although I must say I never read about the sw-motech bars giving this problem (have read numerous reports about the givi bars and a couple about the Hepco&Becker's). I torqued everything according to specificiations when mounting the bars but we'll see.
    When mounting the bars, as specified, I did one side at a time, but still the engine shifted a little in the proces and it took some force to get the bolts back alligned with the holes on one side. My previous bikes didn't have the crash bars directly on the engine mounts and that is obviously much better.

Thanks for the advice.

20. Pixturethis

Oddometer:
    thanks, I also have a few bikes, (8).
    jamboa and One67 like this.