2019-2020 Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Solera

Solera n00b

Oddometer:
    Finally got around to fitting a set of Renthal 609-01 RC High Fatbars to my '19. Thought I might post my experience if anyone is interested.
    • The 609' are wider than stock hence the grips will sit that much wider.
    • The cables, brake hose, etc as stock have essentially no slack. You must release them from the brackets on the frame. Thanks to Jenny (JMo & Piglet) for that bit of advice. There is no chance of getting these bars to work if you don't. I removed the main brackets that hold the wiring, clutch cable and brake hose. Held by 1 bolt under top triple clamp. I left the "loops" as I couldn't get them off easily and it gave me something to cable tie everything to. I left the throttle cables as is as they seem fine.
    • Release the clutch cable from the loop as it puts the cable into a poor shape on full right lock if left as is. Left_Cable_loop.jpg
    • Lock the bars in the clamps for the desired position. Take care when marking up the bars for the locating holes for the switch blocks. Easy to be off a bit and then the controls are at an odd angle. (How do I know?)
    • If you have like me fitted BarkBuster BHG-074's to the standard bars then you will need a new mounting kit for fatbars, BTC-06. Also don't use the aluminium spacer supplied with the BHG-074 kit. As these bars are wider it pushes the Barkbusters out wider and the mounting brackets will foul the clutch and brake perches. You will need a smaller spacer of approximately 8 -10 mm as it has to sit inside the bar end weight and up against the Barkbuster bar plug/clamp. Of course you could drop the weight and wont need a spacer then.
    BHG-074_parts.jpg
    BHG-074 bracket and spacer. Also bar plug/clamp is different size so use the one from BTC-06 kit.

Spacer_Right_Side.jpg
    New spacer inside weight(the black piece). You need a spacer or the weight will foul the throttle grip. I was lucky in that I had some the right size from something else, or I could make some on the lathe. Otherwise a bunch of washers will do the trick. And yeah it looks crooked. I hadn't tightened it all up yet, and the bar end plugs aren't a tight fit anyway.
    BTC-06 Bracket.jpg
    BTC-06 bracket. It sits real close to the cable to be where I wanted it. All good though, no rubbing.
    Fatbar_fitted.jpg
    Fitted. Much better position for me when standing and since I am getting a higher seat I wont feel like I am sitting on top as much. Now to lower the pegs a bit.
    I am only about 5'10 -11", fairly long in the leg and I like an open relaxed feel on the bike. Ignore my son's scruffy CRF250 Rally in the background.
    William42, Pixturethis and fastnlight like this.
  2. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 19 does look like a bigger bike than the previous models. It also feels a bigger bike riding it.
    A combination of the 19 front, the slighter longer wheelbase, the longer travel suspension, the redesigned bodywork, the higher screen. These are all small differences in dimensions, but added together does make a bigger bike in looks and riding experience.
    colddog and Swanster like this.
  3. Pixturethis

Pixturethis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info Solera, all good to know. Have most of my parts coming next week from Rally Raid.
    Marc
  4. fastnlight

fastnlight Repeat Offender

Oddometer:
    DaFoole likes this.
  5. Swanster

Swanster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not quite what I meant, but thanks for your reply Colddog. :-)

It just seems a bigger bike overall

Cheers Jeffo well explained

Greg I quite liked the red on your bike
    colddog likes this.
  6. jojojones

jojojones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DEL
  7. fastnlight

fastnlight Repeat Offender

Oddometer:
    Got a digital scale for my garage hoist. My ABS 2019 cb500x weighed 456 lbs wet with top box, skid plate, crash bars, tank bag, knobby tires hand guards, and a few other small additions. It is a solid 50lbs heavier than my versys X 300 ABS although they feel closer while in use.

Loving the CBX and it feels small enough for me to treat as my "dirt" bike.

Greg
    Pixturethis likes this.
  8. Pixturethis

Oddometer:
    Loving the CB, much better in the sand than I thought it would be. But the seat, oh my that thing is uncomfortable, anyone try a Corbin yet ? I don’t really the idea of just putting a new cover on like the seat concepts, I’m sure they could make it look at a lot better than I can.
  9. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    It's not just a new cover!
  10. Dean Ohlin

Dean Ohlin inner city elite Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did a similar parts pricing exercise and was similarly pleased. There is however a limit. Keep going...the headlight price will bring you back down to earth!
    Pixturethis likes this.
  11. HooliganD

HooliganD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seat concepts is foam and cover, transforms the saddle on the last three bikes I've had (WR 250, BMW F650GS and now BMW G650 X-Ch)!
    KevinMcCall likes this.
  12. KevinMcCall

KevinMcCall Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a Seat Concepts on a KLX250 and really liked it. I was afraid I was going to screw it up but took a chance and it turned out really well. There are how-to videos to show how it's done. Much easier than you might think.
  13. Pixturethis

Oddometer:
    Might have to try a seat concepts as it could change my mind, sounds like some like it.

just finished installing a few goodies to the bike, Rally Raid skid plate, foot pegs, rear and side racks, radiator guard and usb charge port. I didn’t like the short levers, they don’t fit well with my hand guards. Few more items and she should be done for awhile.
  14. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    What rear and side racks? Does the rally raid have a skid plate for the 2019
  15. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Cal likes this.
  16. Dean Ohlin

Oddometer:
    Hi...I have rather stupidly managed to misplace the little owners handbook that came with my (Australian delivered) 2019 CB500X.
    I've asked Honda Australia...no help there.
    The only online source I can find is Helm Inc. in the US...price ok but postage costs prohibitively expensive.
    The bikes (US and Aust models) if not identical will be close enough for the US manual to suffice but as a first step I wonder if I might prevail on an owner in the US to have a look and see if their manual includes metric weights and measures as well as the US units?
  17. bmah

bmah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. racer

racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Bmah, great article. Racer
    bmah and JMo (& piglet) like this.
  19. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    You can download owner's manuals for all Honda motocycles here:

https://powersports.honda.com/downloads/owners-manuals

Or specifically:
    https://cdn.powersports.honda.com/documentum/MWOM/ml.remawmom.2019_31mkpc00_cb500x.pdf

Gustavo
  20. Dean Ohlin

Oddometer: