2019-2020 Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Dec 2, 2018.

1. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Also, food for thought.

I've been researching MC in my area to buy a one for a 2021 epic North American Trip and there are no left over 2019s left at the dealerships in the Southwest, VA region.
    Lots of DL650s and DL1000s.

Honda did a good refresh for 2019. The 19" front tyre was smart.
  2. Falang

Falang Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The 19" front tyre was perfect. In fact, with the new 19 inch wheel, the “feel” and joy of my current touring bike is eerily similar to my first touring bike:

Honda CB500X 2019 vs 1972 BMW.jpg

The 2019 CB500X specifications are amazingly similar to the R60/5 and to the R75/6 which replaced my R60/5:

Honda vs Airhead.jpg

In particular, the horsepower, weight, height, length, wheelbase, steering rake, and range are roughly the same. Honda has made a nearly perfect bike ... like BMW half a century ago. But of course the other specs of the modern machine, other than the suspension and torque, are much better and it needs less maintenance.

The accessories are the same, too--top box, windshield, and duffle bag for gear, which was all I could afford then and all I want now (plus LED lights for safety, added after the photo was taken).

:-)
  3. Long Ride

Long Ride Don't let up!

Oddometer:
    There is one at Capital Powersports in Raleigh NC...or there was a week or two ago. It was non-ABS and I think they had the ABS price on it
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  4. Long Ride

Long Ride Don't let up!

Oddometer:
    Let me start by saying I love all things Honda...BUT...whose the wise guy that designed the air box and put that lower left side screw there? For the life of me I cannot get the cover off... after disconnecting the wiring harness and torturing it out of the way to get to the screw with a stubby Phillips head and using only finger tips, I still couldn't get the cover and filter out of that confined space once the screw was loose. This was in addition to disconnecting the 'junction connector' per the manual, which helps a little but not nearly enough. If I had fatter fingers I wouldn't have even made it that far.

I'm one that likes to keep check on air filters and I can't imagine doing that on the trail under adverse conditions or after I've dropped the bike in a creek crossing. Is there more wiring in here with the ABS? or am I just holding my mouth wrong? Anybody using a foam pre-filter to limit the need to access this one (heard that mentioned on a video)?

View attachment 2023578
    Dean Ohlin likes this.
  5. Long Ride

Long Ride Don't let up!

Oddometer:
    air box screw.jpg
  6. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    It helps (in future) to replace those crappy Philips head screws with Allen socket head versions - easier to get a tool in there, such a 1/4" ratchet and Allen bit for example...

I don't know why almost all the other fasteners these days are either hex or Allen head (bodywork trim not withstanding), but they insist on using screw heads for the air-box cover?!

Jx
  7. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Greetings,

So on the North American continent its possible to buy a brand new CBX,

Bring her back to the dealership at 600 miles and have them do the first service with some easy stuff done, like oil change, and have the warranty stuff good to go.
    Put on bark busters, skid plate.

Then go on a epic trip, and get a valve inspection at a Inmate recommended garage near 16,000 miles (valves).

Then continue on your tour and put in another 16,000 miles of touring before you return home?

And the MC can keep up with the Versys 650 and DL650 the entire time, and be lighter and with a much lower COG, and about the same range?

And all you need to do are oil changes and air filter upkeep over the 32,000 miles?
    __
    Almost seems too good to be true?

[​IMG]
    Bors, KevinMcCall and Pixturethis like this.
  8. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    It is true... I've done exactly that over 33,000 miles (and did the 600 mile oil change myself, and so far only one valve inspection). These bikes are rock solid.

Oh, and you'll need some tyres every so often too of course.

Jx
  9. Long Ride

Long Ride Don't let up!

Oddometer:
    great idea on the screw replacements............but now tell the truth JMo... I bet you cleaned your air filter and gassed up during those 33,000 miles. :clap
    Dean Ohlin likes this.
  10. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Ha, oh yes... I've also changed* my air-filter every 12,000 miles - it's almost due for another...

Gas is a given of course ;o)

Jx

*for info. I've always used the OEM mesh/paper filters - they work very well in all conditions, and fortunately I don't often ride in anyone else's dust.
  11. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback gang!

The only problem is finding one brand new...
    You would probably need to order one or pay full MSRP. Which is fine.

The left over 650 bikes will be discounted.

:D
  12. Dean Ohlin

Dean Ohlin inner city elite Supporter

Oddometer:
    Similar, though less hassle and easily fixed by replacing allen head with hex after the first time, is the necessity to remove footpeg bracket to get the chain guard off.
  13. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I might be pursueded to sell my 2019 non ABS since I reserved a T7 if you're serious PM me.
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  14. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback.

I would purchase around January of 2021 or so.

Happy Holidays.
  15. Pixturethis

Pixturethis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I see a new set of upper crashbars are made for the 2019-2020 bikes, does that mean the older ones won’t fit the new bikes ? Twisted throttle has them listed but not in stock yet.
  16. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    It's going to depend on the design, but in most cases no since the 2019-on model has slightly wider (and different shaped) upper fairing panels, so if the bars fit snuggly to the bodywork of the 2013-18 bikes, it's likely to foul on the panels on the latest model.

Jx
  17. Pixturethis

Pixturethis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was afraid of that. Might have to sell mine as my bike is a 2019, and was told they would fit. Guess my next question should be does the bike really need them, I plan on doing a lot of off road riding and I’m sure I’ll be dropping it. My DL650 had the crash bars, and I’m glad it did. But the CB500X is not as wide as the DL.
  18. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Picturethis - only you can decide that of course, but in my experience, dropping your bike off-road has so many variables, you'll either be lucky or you wont...

Generally speaking, with a low speed/stationary drop, the handlebars tend to take the brunt of any fall (which is why decent aluminium back-bone style hand guards are a good idea) and help to keep the bodywork off the ground - and as you've noticed, the CB is pretty narrow bike in the first place... it's only if you 'crash' at higher speed, and the bike slides along the ground that the handlebars might twist and the bodywork ultimately touch down, and even then it's going to depend on how rough the ground is and how much additional debris there is to potentially snag on.

Similarly, while the bars can help to prevent a direct impact on a rock or branch for example, equally those can just as easily poke though between the bars and still damage the panels anyway.

If you're in the habit of dropping your bike a lot and/or relatively inexperienced riding off-road, then by all means fit them if it gives you a great sense of security... but ultimately I'd be looking to practice your off-road riding techniques and not dropping your bike so much in the first place.

Personally speaking I've never felt the need to fit such contraptions to any bike I've owned - they are the equivalent of bull-bars on 4x4s, handy to hang your auxiliary lights on perhaps, but most of which offer little if any genuine protection and simple add weight and bulk.

Can open, worms everywhere ;o)

Jenny x
    78er and KevinMcCall like this.
  19. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Hello.

I noticed that on the Honda website in the USA, there are no options for accessories.

Can you get a 12 volt socket put in as an accessory?

Thanks for reading.
  20. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Ohh, I put in the 2018 model and a bunch of stuff shows up.

upload_2019-12-9_17-58-42.png

upload_2019-12-9_17-59-42.png

upload_2019-12-9_18-0-54.png
    I like this bar because you can use it to tie gear to it and across the tank bag. Should help some with a tip over, but no crash bar.

__
    This stuff will work on the 19 model right?
    Maybe not the light bar.

__
    The bike would still be cheaper than the DL650 base model with all of these goodies.
    Maybe $7,299. Well and labor.
    $7,420. vs $8,799
    Nice. Easily $1,200 savings.

Attached Files: