2019-2020 Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Dec 2, 2018.

1. KevinMcCall

KevinMcCall Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That first picture looks like the Cherohala Cycle Resort in Tellico Plains. Not sure if it's still called that, though. Second picture, on the Cherohala Skyway? That's my new wallpaper. :D Bike looks nice with those cases, too.
    ksmoker2 likes this.
  2. ksmoker2

ksmoker2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep that's at the Cherohala Mountain Trails Campground. Wayne the owner and host is amazing, such a nice guy. And yes the second is on the Skyway. Thanks!
  3. antwon412

antwon412 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Are those the Tusk medium panniers?
  4. ksmoker2

Oddometer:
    Negative. They were built for me by one of the local aluminum boat builders. Made out of .090. They are a touch smaller than the Tusk I think. 16"x14"x8" around 28L each if I remember correctly. I just rattle canned them for the trip, I had just gotten them a few days prior. I may have them powder coated.
  5. antwon412

antwon412 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gotcha. Thanks. They look to be the perfect size. The Tusk mediums are a bit too big I think.
    ksmoker2 likes this.
  6. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    What brand are the pannier racks and did you just bolt the cases directly? Looks like the after market exhaust gave you more room to mount them ?
  7. ksmoker2

Oddometer:
    They are the SW-Motech Quick-Lock EVO racks. Yep just bolted them directly to racks sense the racks are quick release. The Scorpion exhaust directs the air flow straight back instead of up like the stock pipe. I also added an extension from the hanger bold to drop it down an inch or so which also helped give the boxes more room.
    Cal likes this.
  8. S.O.G.

S.O.G. n00b

Oddometer:
    I like them both. I am the original owner of the TA and she has been very good to me over the past 30 years. She still runs and I use it as an around town errands. She does not like highway speeds. At 60 to 70 MPH it is OK but anything above that it vibrates bad. I am surprised how well the suspension has held up. I had a professional suspension shop rebuild it about 5 years ago. With a full tank, it is a little top heavy. Transmission likes fresh oil. Shifting will get a little clunky with about 3,000 on the oil. It is just her way of telling me it is time to change it. Parts are getting very hard to find. Would be my one and only bike if I had a reliable source for parts and the fact that the engine will need a rebuild someday and there is no one around here that will touch it.

The CB500x ABS is a very nice bike. I have been waiting for Honda to do a update on the TA but they never did. Seems like a refresh of the original 89/90 TA would be a great adventure bike. 21/18 wheels. Good ground clearance. Big tank. Low end torque. Not too heavy. Can be loaded down with gear. Reliable. Just update the breaks, six speed transmission, fuel injection and it would be a winner. I got tried of waiting. The CB500X was on my list along with the Kawasaki 300X, BMW 310gs, KLR650, and XLR650. The 2019 CB500X hit a lot of my boxes. It has as much power as the TA. The transmission is silky smooth and I love the sixth gear. Excellent wind protection and the windscreen works perfect for me. The clutch pull is very light. The weight is not that much lighter than the TA but the COG is lower and it is easy to do low speed maneuvers. Not as much low end torque but it has six speeds not just five like the TA. So you need to shift more but the smooth transmission and light clutch makes it fun.

I need to start adding some stuff to the CB. I want hand guards and a rear rack. Looking at the OEM hand guards. Do not need crash protection but would like some wind protection and the OEMs look like they will do. Also the OEM rear rack seems OK. I got some credit at the local dealer and thinking of using it to order the OEM stuff. Does anyone have any experience or comments on these OEM parts? At 70 I am not doing any cross country trips or off road these days. I just want a an easy to ride, push to button and go bike. So far the CB does it all.

The TA is for sale if anyone is interested. 89 Transalp, 45,000 mi, runs, title, registration. Rode it a week ago to Kickstand brewery to get my growler filled (half off on Mondays)
    S.O.G.
  9. bmah

bmah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    274450A4-687F-4476-A7E1-E610CED4E606.jpeg . What this bike is made for.
  10. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
  11. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    Torres del Paine - awesome place ! I have the EXACT same photo (on my KLR) - LOL !
    Black_Sheep and bmah like this.
  12. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    Awesome scenery. Probably furthest place from where I live. Do you have a trip report somewhere what I could read?
  13. bmah

bmah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have not yet made a trip report. I’m preparing for the return portion of this trip tonight. Taking the NaviMag ferry back to Puerto Montt from Puerto Natales. Riding through Patagonia on a motorcycle is fantastic experience!
    Black_Sheep and dirtytroll like this.
  14. fastnlight

fastnlight Repeat Offender

Oddometer:
    Tested the SW Motech skid plate recently with a full bike weight drop over a crest onto an embedded rock, then a slide over the rock at lowish speed. Nicely dented and scraped. No bike damage, a few hammer hits and its fine and bolted right back up. No damage to mounts.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uyH3jso56P96AxEs6

Greg
    SW-MOTECH NA likes this.
  15. SW-MOTECH NA

SW-MOTECH NA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, it sounds like you really did put it to the test! We're glad to hear it withstood those conditions and you're happy with it! The pic of the skid plate is great, but do you have pics of where you were riding? It sounds like you were out having fun.

The Red Bull Team of SW Motech NA
  16. fastnlight

Oddometer:
    SW-MOTECH NA likes this.
  17. SW-MOTECH NA

SW-MOTECH NA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @fastnlight - looks like a great place to get riding in during the winter--no snow! Those of us east of the Rockies are jealous.
    Thanks for sharing!

The Red Bull Team of SW Motech NA
  18. Swanster

Swanster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. bobwombat

bobwombat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    SW Motech: PLEASE design a skid plate for the 2019 CBX! Purchased one but it didn't fit the new model. The other popular option is very good but very expensive from overseas & availability is spotty; have always had SW Motech gear on my bikes. Help??
    twistedthrottle likes this.
  20. fastnlight

Oddometer:
    I am using the 2019 design on my 2019 bike and that is working great. Twisted throttle is selling it currently and likely others.

Greg
    twistedthrottle likes this.