2019-2021 Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Piscoot

Piscoot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this helps answer your question for I’m unsure the stock width of my 19” model year. This tire is 150/70-17 Continental TKC 70-Rocks mounted on my stock rim. This tire is great- actually awesome dry or wet and I’m a little aggressive on pavement. Did section 3 of the NEBDR a few weeks back and also was awesome on trails and handle technical spots just fine. IMG_2811.jpg
    IMG_2809.jpg
  2. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    The tkc 70 looks like it has a deeper tread than the Shinko 705.
    Edit, I see this is a new tire " Rocks" does it come in a front also?
  3. Piscoot

Piscoot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No unfortunately, I ran the standard TKC70 on the front and think I will switch to a TKC80 which might be better suited. I’m not sure on Continentals plans but would be nice to see a Rocks front is possibly. My riding buddy had the Shinko 705 on his G650GS the Continental is definitely more aggressive. To me also just as important the Continental is a lighter tire in weight than the Shinko, that 705 is heavy!
    Cal likes this.
  4. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will be interested in knowing how long the Rocks lasts. It could be a contender for a Northern trip as I would like a tire that lasts 5 or 6 thousand miles or more.
    ncroadtoad and Piscoot like this.
  5. fastnlight

fastnlight Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    I ran a rear rocks for about 2800 miles before I holed it badly with a nail between the tread blocks, and it was only about 20% worn, so it should have no trouble lasting 6k+

Greg
    Cal, Hannda and Piscoot like this.
  6. fastnlight

fastnlight Tire Tester

Oddometer:

Rear width is 4in from other folks posts. RR rear takes that down to 3.5in
  7. fastnlight

fastnlight Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    I just measured the replacement TKC 70 rocks rear on the bike now and its down to 7mm of center tread from 8mm when new, in 1140 miles of total riding including the entire Washington BDR.

That would put a 6k miles estimate down to about 3mm still left at the center of tread assuming similar continued use. Seems good to me and would be nearing replacement for my mixed use.

I was worried about this lighter weight tire holding up to the rocky abuse and was considering going with the mission rear next. At this point, as long as the rocks tire doesnt suffer any damage from natural objects over the course of its use (as I have seen on other tires). I will gladly mount another rocks rear to the bike. I also wish they would make a rocks front option. The current front is in a different league and limits the rider with a rocks rear. Mission front for me until something changes.

Greg
  8. Piscoot

Piscoot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Funny I was skeptical of the lighter weight but continental actually suggest this tire for the larger displacement bikes then the 500X. I shied away from the Dunlop Mission it just seemed heavy. When I aired down on some of the rocky sections of Section 3 on NEBDR I totally forgot I didn’t have an air pump with me. So I just left it 25 pounds for the trip covering 430 miles. There doesn’t seem to be much sidewall flex on this tire even with the bike and me weighing in around 620 pounds.
    I also am/or hoping for a matching front if it’s possible since the front is pretty narrow, but it’s good to know your tire is holding up well. I’ve only have about 1000 miles on mine.
  9. Laconic

Laconic Disenfranchised

Oddometer:
    Anybody ever carry one of these things on a hitch hauler?

I'm thinking this might be the right bike to replace a Super Tenere and a DR650.
  10. fastnlight

fastnlight Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    I have not hauled it that way, but can say mine scales at 465lbs including accessories and full fluids. Having owned a DR650 and vfr1200x, I would agree that the cbx is a fun and effective combo of both.

Greg
    Laconic likes this.
  11. HooliganD

HooliganD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know man, that would have to be a really good/solid hitch hauler. I tried my X-Challenge on one on the back of my half tonne. I didn't trust it and just dragged out a long ramp and loaded it in the back of my truck instead.
    Laconic likes this.
  12. barko1

barko1 barko1 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think most hitch haulers have a 400# limit, tempting but .......................................................................
    Laconic likes this.
  13. fastnlight

fastnlight Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    The hitch load limit is normally in the range of 10% total towing capacity for a vehicle. So if you have at least 5000lbs of towing capacity, you may have just enough to make it work. Dont forget the weight of the rack, which can be significant. I would rather have a bit more than just enough, and that would take a full size suv, van, or truck to make it comfortable with at least 650lbs of hitch capacity.

Greg
    Laconic likes this.
  14. TCNG

TCNG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I carried mine on a 600lb capacity hitch hauler, no issues whatsoever. This was also on the back of a 1 ton dually though so YMMV. Only switched back to carrying in the bed so I could tow my camper behind.
    Laconic likes this.
  15. TheSweeper

TheSweeper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The standard HF hitch haulers are rated at like 400 lbs. They have one that is all steel and rated higher. I have a buddy who hauls his VFR800 on one. I wouldn't but he hasn't had a problem.
    Laconic likes this.
  16. Laconic

Laconic Disenfranchised

Oddometer:
    My hitch hauler is rated for 500 lbs. and my lightest hitch is rated for 650 lbs.
    fastnlight likes this.
  17. Long Ride

Long Ride Don't let up!

Oddometer:
    Carried mine on a hitch hauler rated at 600 lbs. with my 2014 Ford Expedition 6,000 lb hitch. No sweat and would try it on my Honda Pilot with 4,000 lb hitch. Lots of hard bumps and rough terrain makes you sort of cringe but it held up. Had to block the channel since tires are too wide though. Just remember to pay insurance, dont exceed rated capacities and think twice before having loved ones follow you...just kidding...sorta.
    Hannda and Laconic like this.
  18. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi......whats the size of these particular gaiters please (I prefer these with less ribs)...also have you a link?

TIA
  19. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Johnytuono and Hannda like this.
  20. KennyV

KennyV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2019 / 2020 coolant pump oil leaks?