2019-2021 Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah they look good......unfortunately have bought the ones that had been linked to somewhere but they are too long (250mm total)...the ideal length is around 180mm (like the ones posted) for the standard
    2019/20 bike.... do you think that if I cut 70mm from the top, the gaiters will still do their job (cable tied obviously) ?
  2. bmah

bmah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think that the 250mm ones are for the longer travel Rally Raid conversion of the forks.
    Cal and JMo (& piglet) like this.
  3. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, same here. The 250mm boots have been posted to be the correct size, without qualification that it's for the Rally Raid long travel conversion. I paid a premium to have them shipped from England... :doh

As for cutting them, on my first bike, the boots I bought were too long, and I cut the bottom off. I secured the top with zip ties and they just hung down. Seemed to do the job.
  4. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now onto a new topic.

I purchased a dash mount outdoor thermometer.

thermometer.jpg

https://www.bluesea.com/products/1741/Mini_OLED_Temperature_Monitor_-_Yellow

I already have a USB charger in the factory hole on the left, so I'm going to drill a hole on the right side of the dash to mount this thermometer.

My question... where would you mount the temperature probe? The probe comes with a long wire so I can make it any length I want. I'm trying to find a good place to mount it where it will read the most accurate outdoor temperature.
    DaFoole, Hannda and bmah like this.
  5. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    lol.......I cut the top.........thinking its best if the bottoms fit correctly and zip tie the top......
  6. sheath

sheath Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On the Africa Twin the temp prob is mounted at the front right lower corner of the fairing, inside the fork tunnel. It seems pretty accurate over, unless the sun is shining down that side of the fork tunnel, when the bike is stopped. Then it will take a minute or two of riding at moderate speeds to get back down to ambient.
    On the AT, there is quite a bit of air flow through the fork tunnel. You may want to see how that is on your bike, before mounting.
    Temp Probe.jpg
    lostname and Hannda like this.
  7. MotoSpen

MotoSpen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had the chance to do some moto camping for the first time earlier this month. Went 1,350km solo, looping around the Georgian Bay in Ontario. Highly recommend! I figure if I can't travel out of my country I might as well explore what's in our own backyard.
    • Hamilton > Bruce Peninsula National Park > Tobermory > Ferry to Manitoulin Island > Killarney Provincial Park > Hamilton

IMG_20201001_192003.jpg
    DaFoole, Cruz, ncroadtoad and 7 others like this.
  8. sheath

sheath Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful Picture. :beer
    Canada is stunning from B.C. to Nova Scotia / Newfoundland. The entire country is awesome.
    Canadian Maple Syrup, and beer is just icing on the bon-fire. :freaky
    sawride likes this.
  9. MotoSpen

MotoSpen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agreed! I've had the chance to drive around the East coast but the West is still on my list of places to go.
    sheath likes this.
  10. Laconic

Laconic Boomer Berserker Nativist Rube

Oddometer:
    What's a good fitting tank bag for these things? I like the tank ring quick release style mounts but with 1" bar risers it looks like there's no room.

Something that won't tear up the paint, with a map pouch would be nice. Waterproof is a plus.

Yes, I ran a search and am sifting through all the previous posts as I have time.

The SW Motech mount that lets the bag hang rearward has potential.
  11. barko1

barko1 barko1 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use a Wolfman, enduro I think. I had it on a ktm 1190 and switch it over after buying some new clips. I also am using it on my Ducati 1000 but it doesn't fit as well there. I use the Honda front attachments.
    [​IMG]
    KennyV, Hannda, TNC and 1 other person like this.
  12. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    It's too bad that highway in your pic sucks. I prefer I-70 to the north of that stretch of road. All that turning and twisting is too much work...and those canyon cliffs are scary.:lol3

On a serious note, you know that closed bridge close to Uravan? I parked my toy hauler on the dirt, Y11 road side for about 5 days a couple of years ago. It was an awesome spot from which to ride a lot of the stuff around there on my plated KLX300. I still didn't cover everything...not even close. The San Miguel put me to sleep every night.:-)
  13. fastnlight

fastnlight Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    This pic shows a wolfman explorer lite model. I use the same bag on my 1200 and its a good one but too big for the 500x IF you want good leg/crotch clearance when standing. The blackhawk or smaller enduro are better over all fits.

Greg
  14. barko1

barko1 barko1 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wolfman doesn't seem to make many tanks bags these days. I think this one fits great, never has been in the way.
    20201015_101140.jpg
    That previous pic was Hwy 141 South of Grand Junction. There is a lot of dirt and great pavement riding throughout that whole area. Took it last week to Paradox Valley then the LaSal loop avoiding Moab traffic. Doesn't get much better.
    Hannda and Laconic like this.
  15. MotoSpen

MotoSpen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm using an Enduristan Sandstorm 4H tank bag. Although I am noticing some marks occuring near the front buckles. Going to try and add some adhesive felt to the bottom of the buckles to help minimize it. I like that the top map compartment can come right off with velcro too. Full waterproof and also supports a cable insert for charging devices inside.

IMG_20201001_130912.jpg
    DaFoole, Hannda, Bors and 1 other person like this.
  16. Laconic

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I got in a 50 mile familiarization ride. Today I went to the Blue Ridge and worked on using something besides the middle of the tires. Did 150 miles of mixed pavement, mostly twisty back roads with some bigger two lane without a break.

What a cool little bike, I really like it. Other than needing another inch of leg room and wishing for a little better damping in the rear I have no real complaints.
    KennyV, Cruz, Hannda and 1 other person like this.
  17. BOGWHEEL

BOGWHEEL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How on earth do you remove the air filter?
    Finally removed the four over tight Phillips screws - but doesn't seem room enough to remove the filter and holder.
    Hell - p
  18. Laconic

Oddometer:
    With the 1" bar risers the clutch and throttle cables are under more tension than I like at full lock. I'm not a fan of the wireforms mounted under the ignition switch. Any of you guys removed them and how much of a hassle is it?

Edit: Never mind, after studying the fiche, I see it's held on by two screws from below.
  19. MotoSpen

MotoSpen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's a straightforward step-by-step video doing it. Once the battery is out, you remove the four corner screws AND loosen this one here to get the unit out
    Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 9.16.39 AM.png
    koh kood and Hannda like this.
  20. fastnlight

fastnlight Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Laconic likes this.