2019-2021 Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SW Motech Pro Daypack 5-8 L

IMG_7859.JPG
    DaFoole, Bors and Laconic like this.
  2. Laconic

Laconic Boomer Berserker Nativist Rube

Oddometer:
    That looks decent, does it mount so the paint's protected? ^^^^

Edit: I see, you are using the EVO tank ring.
  3. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got my thermometer mounted. I took a ride today not wearing my right glove. Got up to speed, set my throttle lock, then reached down and felt around where there was air flow. I wanted to mount the temperature probe onto plastic, rather than metal. On the inside of the right side fairing, the CB500X has a spot which faces downward and I picked that spot to mount the probe.

20201020_223935~2.jpg

It's not visible from above, but it's right under that circle. You can see the power wire. The wires were a bit of a pain since there are two separate circuits (power and temp) and they need to be able to be disconnected so I can remove the fairing, and I wanted to use different connector types so I wouldn't mix them up.

20201020_210704.jpg

Took the bike for a ride and the reading appears to be accurate. At stops, engine heat does rise up from the radiator to give a false reading, but at speed the temp agrees with the local weather within a degree or two, as well as agreeing with the thermometer in my garage.

I do wish it didn't read the temperature to the tenth of a degree. That sort of precision isn't necessary and is a bit distracting.

But I like it! Easily readable. Built for marine use. Wish I'd ordered the model with red LCD. Oh well.

Jamie
    DaFoole, sheath, BarryB and 1 other person like this.
  4. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jamie Z, what is the 000 under the voltage reading? Thanks.
  5. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's the Mach number, and since I took the picture while sitting in my garage, it's zero at the moment.

It's actually a voltmeter/USB port. When something is plugged into the USB, it reads the amperage going to the device. It's this one: https://powerwerx.com/panel-usb-amp-volt-quick-charge-qc-30-red
    OneAUout, Laconic and KevinMcCall like this.
  6. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes the Evo ring has 2 rubber bungs to protect the paintwork but I also put a couple of pieces of vinyl just to be sure.
    Laconic likes this.
  7. Dmouse92

Dmouse92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys just want to get some information.

I am looking to get my first bike. I want to know what you thinking about the 2019 model year vs the older model with a RR kit.

I have found both, but I don't know if it is worth the extra money for the 2019 and then I need to do all the upgrades myself, which I would be fine doing. The other is a 2015 that has the full rally raid L3 with many more things on it.

The 2019 has 3200 miles and the 2015 has about 10,500.

Thank you for the input!
    Hannda likes this.
  8. fastnlight

fastnlight Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Dont worry about the miles, just the 2019 updates. Here is the list from honda pro kevins site.

2019 CB500X Changes / Updates:

• Engine refinements for an increase in overall power, including 3 to 4% more torque from 3,000 to 7,000 rpm.
    • Fuel-injector spray narrowed, fuel-droplet size optimized for improved spray penetration in intake. Improves combustion and therefore creates more linear power from first crack of the throttle through to rpm redline.
    • Smaller battery, repositioning of components enable increased air-intake volume and addition of filter element in tract below headlights. Straighter velocity stacks and reshaped separators between the cylinders make for decreased turbulence, resulting in improved power at every rpm.
    • New valve timing increases torque and improves roll-on response.
    • New crank-sensor system with over 2.5 times more-frequent crank-position readings and model-specific fuel-injection settings allow more linear power delivery, with emphasis on low- and midrange power and more precise throttle response.
    • New muffler with increased volume before and after catalytic converter. Backpressure optimized for improved low-end and midrange power. New dual-outlet muffler tip makes exhaust note racier-sounding to match new power.
    • New transmission gear-dog design is more precise for more accurate, sure shifting action.
    • New slipper clutch design adapts to load stresses for increased hook-up under heavy acceleration and reduced engine braking under downshifting.
    • New clutch design, with the same engineering found in the CBR1000RR, decreases lever pull by 45%, especially helpful in stop-and-go traffic. Lever shape improved as well.
    • Larger, 19″ front wheel for better bump absorption, improved high-speed handling.
    • Steering caster angle slackened by 1 degree (now 27.5 degrees) for improved handling.
    • New front and rear tire design with deep-grooved tread.
    • New shock with advanced pressure-separation design from Honda’s large sport models is more stable and predictable for improved rear-wheel tracking and traction.
    • Increased suspension travel (up .4 in. in front, 1.2 in. rear) for improved performance through stroke, reduced bottoming and increased ground clearance.
    • On ABS version, upgraded modulators improve precision during ABS engagement.
    • Revised hydraulic ratio in rear brake, combined with ABS, achieve improved brake modulation in low-traction situations.
    • Lighter seat rails for improved mass centralization and better handling.
    • New, full-featured display has larger screen and thinner bezel, includes new upshift indicator that can be set to different rpm settings.
    • Turning radius reduced by nearly 8 inches for easier maneuvering.
    • Windscreen is 20mm taller for great wind protection during high-speed cruising.
    • Seat narrowed above pegs to aid touching feet to ground at stops.
    • New tapered handlebar improves feedback, control and style, while new rubber-mounted handlebar clamp minimizes vibration to rider’s hands.
    • More aggressive adventure styling with new fuel tank, radiator shroud, headlight, clear taillight lens and new LED turn signals. New shroud design helps direct radiator heat away from rider’s legs.
    RedRockRider, Long Ride and sheath like this.
  9. S.O.G.

S.O.G. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If it is your first bike the slipper clutch in the 2019 will make learning to ride a lot easier. I have a 2019. Get the 2019 ride it for a while then decide what you need for the type of riding you do.
    SOG
  10. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just paint black over the tenth of a degree
    KevinMcCall likes this.
  11. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    If it's your first bike I'd go with the 2019. It'll be quite a while before you'd likely need, or benefit from, the RR kit.
    Just the advice of an old fat guy and likely worth less than $0.00 you've paid for it.
    DaFoole, sheath, Oyabun and 1 other person like this.
  12. MotoSpen

MotoSpen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would lean towards the 2015 if it already has a level 3 RR kit on it. That's coming from me who own's a 2019. I didn't see any RR CBX's in the used market in my area so I could justify the cost to get a 2019.
  13. Dmouse92

Dmouse92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is a bit far from me actually, about a 6 hour drive. So I would need to decide on buying it before actually seeing it. Wonder what you guys would think is a good price for a fully set up L3 RR CB500X. I am aiming for about $5500. And the 2019 would be somewhere around $6000 I think.

Thanks for the input.
  14. Hannda

Oddometer:
    The bikes only $7,000 new. I don't like any of those prices.
  15. Dmouse92

Dmouse92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Really, What would you say a fair price is then?
  16. redolga

redolga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This can help your negotiating. Not all RR L3's are the same. Older version rear shock cannot install remote pre-load adjuster (pre 2017). These shocks were discounted then discontinued by RR when the current shock was sold. Older spoke wheels had wider rear rim (4.25" vs current 3.5") and front rim did not have safety lip for tubeless wheels. RR hub design was updated in 2019. Some customers reported fading with the early production run of anodized parts (hubs & top mount). No reported fading issues since 2017. IMO, best way to come up with a fair price is to take the value of the used bike alone (mileage, maintenance, condition etc..) and then add the value of the used RR kit; older worth less and newer worth more.
    Piscoot and srileo like this.
  17. Hannda

Oddometer:
    At that close? I'd go for a new 2021.
    If you're budget won't allow for that at this time, I'd think $5,000. But that's just me.
    Also, keep the calendar in mind. Prices will drop five or ten percent over the winter.
  18. Laconic

Laconic Boomer Berserker Nativist Rube

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me the torque for items #11, #13 and #14 in this diagram? Upper and lower engine hanger bolts. I could look up the standard torque for a 10mm bolt but I don't know the grade. Thanks.

[​IMG]
  19. MotoSpen

MotoSpen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Attached engine torque specs according to this forum

Attached Files:

20. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    The 19 model is a significant improvement over the earlier model as mentioned above.
    I would buy as new a bike as you can and then upgrade it if or when you need to with RR parts. You may not need to.
    Hannda likes this.