2019-2021 Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Dec 2, 2018.

1. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    I think your "humor detector" is malfunctioning. My post is actually a thumbs up for the CB500X in that a rider took a CB500X out on a true enduro competition course and rode a portion of that course. Granted this rider is better than your average dude, but it speaks well that they didn't have to get a tow truck to get him and his bike out of there. I'm sure he did this for fun, and that part in the video looks like a likely and logical place for him to have stopped...but maybe not.

Point is that it's always somewhat amazing how some can take an ADV bike and push it beyond what many think shouldn't be attempted. I do not have or intend to get a Honda CB500X, but I stay up with these threads on it because I have a level of respect and curiosity about the bike...and honestly all "good" ADV bikes...and many of the things we as owners/riders of this category of bikes find out is the fact that much of the knowledge and experiences transfer all or in part to other ADV bikes.

As an aside, I've raced the Boondockers numerous times over the years, so I can appreciate his effort and fun factor for taking the CB500X out there.
    ProLeisure, Hannda and Johnytuono like this.
  2. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah I read where you were coming from with the link etc......although my statement wasn't aimed at anyone in particular.......saying that.....I'd rather take the 500 to places rather than a big GS. I suppose it's all relative really.
    KevinMcCall and Hannda like this.
  3. Laconic

Laconic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I've put 600 miles or so on and am pretty pleased with my decision so far. Averaging 67 mpg. Wind noise is manageable but I think I want one of those wings for the windshield. I like how torquey and quiet it is. OEM tires are squirrelly and disconcerting at times; I look forward to wearing them out so I can have some A41s.

I found the suspension to be stiff and bouncy so I gradually worked down to position one on the rear and three lines showing up front. It's much better now but still acts like a pogo stick in certain situations. I'm probably 210 lbs. in my gear including a small top box I carry on the passenger seat.

I'm after a plush ride, part of the reason I bought this bike was for the suspension travel.

Rough secondary pavement and graded gravel is all I'm doing and none of that is very aggressive.

Anybody put a softer rear spring on these things? I'm not high on spending big bucks on suspension just yet.
    Schroeder, DaFoole and Hannda like this.
  4. Spina

Spina wannabe motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Hi!
    I just bought a used 2019 model ( even if I can't use it right now because of the lockdown here in Italy :( ).
    It comes with a givi tank crashbar already installed, i was wondering if there was a way to mount a lower crashbar AND a skid plate ( the sw motech maybe? ) together.
    Thanks!
  5. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I weigh about 260 with gear (all muscle...:lol3) and found the suspension has loosened with some miles but still get a lot of “pogoing” from the shock (worse when loaded up with camping gear) that feels more like insufficient dampening. Planning on a shock upgrade this winter.
    fastnlight and Laconic like this.
  6. KevinMcCall

KevinMcCall Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 2019 with the OEM center stand. Was about to switch out the exhaust for an Akrapovic slip-on and noticed that the stopper for the center stand is on the OEM exhaust. My fault for not checking before I bought the exhaust. It looks like the SW-Motech has a different stopper and will work with the new exhaust. Does anyone have the SW-Motech center stand with an aftermarket exhaust to confirm this? If so, I may have an OEM center stand for sale here soon. Well, either way, I may have a center stand for a 2019 for sale here soon.
    Skiddoboy likes this.
  7. TheSweeper

TheSweeper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I drilled a hole the center stand cross bar, mounted a bolt with a rubber stopper that rests on the suspension link. There’s not enough movement at that link to be a problem. Has worked great for years and was less than $10.
  8. Swanster

Swanster Never been here

Oddometer:
    Snow foamed, washed, dried with new drier and then covered in ACF50 ready for the winter :flug

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    DaFoole, Hannda, William42 and 3 others like this.
  9. HooliganD

HooliganD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which drier are you using?
  10. sheath

sheath Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With 20% rider sag, it is high enough in the travel, that a re-valve should be helpful. Hopefully you'll get a setup where between tire pressure, and the re-valve, it will feel like more than 6" of travel.

Have you considered spoke wheels? Reason I ask is that would help if you run slightly lower pressures compared to the cast wheels, to help with a stiffer compression stack. You could also run a different external bump stop on the shock shaft, to soften the bottoming.
    Beautiful! :raabia
    Hannda likes this.
  11. bmah

bmah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A re-valve on the stock CB500x rear shock?
  12. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Has anyone found a donor shock for the new 500X like was available for the previous model with the shock from a 600f4 or a Suzuki GSX I think it was that were bolt on replacements and are far higher quality shocks with external reservoirs etc?
    Hannda likes this.
  13. sheath

sheath Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry, that first part was from another post, that didn't belong here...

The "Beautiful :raabia" should have been the entire post.
  14. Swanster

Swanster Never been here

Oddometer:
    Just a cheap one from ebay. Works really well

[​IMG]
    DaFoole, Hannda and HooliganD like this.
  15. KennyV

KennyV Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Here's my bike dryer, also works great for cleaning my shop once in awhile. I've offered to clean house with it but my wife says NO! :rofl
    20201118_102515.jpg
    Chip_Morgan, DaFoole, Hannda and 9 others like this.
  16. barko1

barko1 barko1

Oddometer:
    Took mine to the car wash yesterday to get rid of some mud it was proudly wearing. 70 MPH trip home was my dryer.

Oh yeah, kv is like 500 x more tidy than me :lol3.
    DaFoole, Hannda, ncroadtoad and 2 others like this.
  17. ncroadtoad

ncroadtoad No Use to Society Supporter

Oddometer:
    A peek at the collection :D
    Hannda likes this.
  18. KennyV

KennyV Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My small old bike collection as of now. I sold my XT500E to down size to these three.

20201119_110821.jpg
    jon_l, DaFoole, Hannda and 5 others like this.
  19. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    Anyone has a stock 2019+ 500x rear shock at hand to make some measurements for me? Thx in advance.
  20. ncroadtoad

ncroadtoad No Use to Society Supporter

Oddometer:
    Would you buy a used bike from this man?
    Yeah, I think so :lol3
    KennyV likes this.