2019-2021 Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Dec 2, 2018.

1. fastnlight

fastnlight Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Solid when adjusted well but those were sitting against givi rack supports and not the stock hand holds, so they were sitting a bit flatter against the sides for that reason. .

Greg
  2. PHOTON PHIL

PHOTON PHIL THe REAL poser

Oddometer:
    What’s the best skid plate for the 500x?
  3. KennyV

KennyV Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I realized soon after buying my 2020x and spending time on dirt and gravel that the underside needed some protection. I first bought one of the cheap ($50 amazon) Chinese skid plates. It's made with good strong stainless but it attaches to the engine and is just a good rock shield that will not protect a good hit to the underside. I ended up buying the Rally Raid skid plate engine gaurd that offers good protection. Also, you can lift the the bike for maintenence with the RR skid plate engine gaurd.
    ncroadtoad likes this.
  4. Laconic

Laconic No Knee, No Needle

Oddometer:
    Anybody using the Shad SH35 or SH36 side cases? Pics? Opinions?
  5. PHOTON PHIL

Oddometer:
    Thanks,
  6. ncroadtoad

ncroadtoad No Use to Society Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't say "best" because it's the only one I've tried on my CB5X. But I will say that it's the strongest skid plate I've ever installed on any of my previous bikes. As Kenny alluded to, the weak point on many of the other plates are the attaching points. They will probably do their job once, but then they will be bent. If you are willing to spend the money, and lose the center stand, it's hard to beat the RR plate.
  7. fastnlight

fastnlight Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    I am liking my SW motech plate that has seen lots of action over 10k+ miles including some heavy hits that took hammering to smooth out. No damage to the bike so far so doing the job, with a bit smoother profile and more ground clearance than the RR plate. My bro in law couldn't find one anywhere in stock for his, and recently mounted the Trex plate. Says it looks the part and is built well with more overall coverage than the RR or motech plates.

Greg
  8. chris4652009

chris4652009 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Normal
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Even though engine mounted, the T-Rex skid plate looks like alot of protection and their crash bar system looks effective.

https://www.t-rex-racing.com/category-s/1494.htm

Are you really going rock bashing with this bike or just need gravel running rock kick protection and stupid move I dropped the bike protection?
  10. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    It doesn't matter... if it's mounted to the cast aluminium engine cases, all it take is one hit and you've cracked your sump.

Bolting any 'protection' directly to the engine itself is a farkle of the worst kind - and certainly not the 'best' as the OP asked.

Jx
  11. motorat

motorat Is it raining

Oddometer:
    +1... I have the sw-mototech on my '16 and call it a gravel guard, not a skid plate.

BTW is there any difference between the 2019-20 and the 21 besides the color?
    Cal likes this.
  12. fastnlight

fastnlight Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Standard ABS was added for USA.
    dereck74 and motorat like this.
  13. PHOTON PHIL

Oddometer:
    Just gravel roads and in case it wants to take a dirt nap.
  14. HooliganD

HooliganD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey folks, I'm hoping I can benefit from your expertise...I have a 2020 500x, looking for some pannier racks to alternate between my Nelson Rig Adv dry bags and a set of the medium Tusk aluminum panniers. I understand some of the racks will work from the previous gen cb500s, just not sure which. I'm having trouble finding stuff in stock up here for the 19+ bikes, so any ideas of which setups work from the pre-2019 bikes?

I realize the Tusk panniers will require some creative mounting, that's not really a problem. Yet. I'd prefer the mounts as close to the bike as possible, purely for aesthetics.

Thanks!
  15. Chip_Morgan

Chip_Morgan lieguy@gmail.com

Oddometer:
    170's fit, I am running them on my CBX
  16. fastnlight

fastnlight Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    I am curious,

Why do you want a larger, heavier tire on a bike with less than 50hp? The stock rear tire on a Honda VFR1200x is 150/70/17 and it works very well in my experience. That is a bike with nearly triple the power and over 200lbs more weight.

Other than having a bigger looking tire, is there another advantage I am missing?

I go through tires like many folks go through gas, so it won't be long before I am in the market for rubber again.

Greg
    Chip_Morgan, Cruz, Piscoot and 2 others like this.
  17. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Same for GS1200s, XE 1200 Scrambler etc also.
  18. KennyV

KennyV Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I got a tip from a fellow member of the CB500X.Com forum about the Honda fork boots (sorry if this is old news here). I received my Honda fork boot kit, 08F70-K87-A31, and installed them this morning. These are not specifically for the 500x and I can't remember which of the Honda 500's they actually for. They have ridges inside of the bottom that fit in grooves on the model they are for. The ridges don't present any issues on the 500X. I think the ridges are going to be good in case water gets in, there's gaps for it to drain out.

20210115_150348.jpg

20210115_144329.jpg
    mihai, Hannda, Laconic and 4 others like this.
  19. ncroadtoad

ncroadtoad No Use to Society Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kenny, you must be a mind reader. I've been looking for a fork boot model number for the new (used) CB5X I'm looking at. Thanks
    Hannda likes this.
  20. Limey 1

Limey 1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One of the first things I got for my CBX were a set of fork gaiters..with my trusty Triumph Bonneville sitting next to it in the garage I realized there was no difference in the fork measurements ...so I ordered a set of Triumph gaiters and they fit perfectly...so if you find the Honda equipment on back order or too expensive, the 09 Bonneville SE will work just fine...

Attached Files: