2019-2021 Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Dec 2, 2018.

1. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, what is that rubber cushion do, anyway. Reduce noise? Help keep mud from packing in there? I honestly don’t know. Anybody?
  2. KennyV

KennyV Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 16t on my 500x. When I was looking for one I noticed the rubber cushioned were available. I bought the standard steel sprocket. I thought, with the rubber cushion in the rear hub, the cushioned sprocket was redundant. Am I wrong? Is there a real benefit for the cushioned sprocket?
  3. Spina

Spina wannabe motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Hi, I've lost one the rubber grommet that goes behind the windshield.
    Does someone have the code? I ordered this piece: 90111-KW3-003 thinking it was the right one but it's just a plastic cilinder.
    137624933_10224483468262592_7330560507034099038_o.jpg
  4. fastnlight

fastnlight Tire Tester

Oddometer:
  5. Laconic

Laconic No Knee, No Needle

Oddometer:
    Apparently there's some benefit to the cushioned sprocket because everyone's bought them all up.

I'll go with the steel eventually if I have to, just prefer the rubber.
  6. Limey 1

Limey 1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    my guess is that it applies a constant damper effect on the chain which reduces noise and vibration..Try to imagine that chain being thrown around that little sprocket at 70 mph..must be quite a bit of stress when it changes direction..Its amazing these modern chains almost never break or need adjusting between tire changes...brilliant engineering!
  7. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Some people say they hear more drive chain noise when using a regular sprocket vs. a damped one. I've had both types on different bikes and I can't say that I can hear the difference. Might be relevant to note that I always wear earplugs when I ride, so that may affect how much drive chain noise I hear.

Gustavo
    barko1 and Limey 1 like this.
  8. Bike Guy

Bike Guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    EPA for noise reduction regulations
  9. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really should have known.
    Bike Guy likes this.
  10. Piscoot

Piscoot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also ran both, I felt a difference when shifting or putting into first gear. If there was a 16 tooth available I would be running it.
    Cruz likes this.
  11. HooliganD

HooliganD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bump - it looks like Givi changed their pannier/luggage mounts or racks between Gen 1 to Gen 2 bikes (givi mod #1121/1171 respectively). But SW Motech looks like they have not changed. Is that correct?
  12. dmcharley

dmcharley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can anyone recommend a good saddlebag support frame? I don't want a full on pannier frame. Thanks
    Gian likes this.
  13. sawride

sawride Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The difference between the PL1121 and PLX1171 is the side bags they work with. The 1121 take the monokey bags with a flat back like E360’s. The 1171 are for the V35 side bags which tuck in closer. I have a 2015 (with the PLX1171) so I have no experience with the Gen 2 but Twisted Throttle lists the PL1121 as fitting 13-18 and the PLX1171 fitting 13-19. Just to keep things confusing there is also the PL1121CAM which works with the Trekker side cases and says they fit 13-19.
    Hannda likes this.
  14. chris4652009

chris4652009 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Yeah, I have the same one. It made a massive difference
    Hannda and Laconic like this.
  15. stoerre

stoerre n00b

Oddometer:
    In the link you provided it's the peg that has broken, not the mounting frame nor the mounting kit. And the Moto Werk lowering kit is a completely different thing (read: worse) compared to the Knight Design pegs, which replace the original pegs instead of using an additional part to lower them. I also don't see how the direction of the force changes when using KD lowered pegs? They are also about the same length, so the magnitude of the force should be in the ballpark.

I find it easy to see why the MW solution is not a good design nor strong enough, whilst I can't see how the KD pegs could risk security in the same way.

I've been very happy with my KD pegs. It's worth noting that KD has different pegs for MYs 2019- even though they apparently haven't changed their web page about it yet.
    Laconic likes this.
  16. Laconic

Oddometer:
    After I became aware of this controversy I went out and stared at the brackets for a long time and came to the same conclusion; I was just too lazy to try to make the argument (again) here. :D I'll be going with KD when I get ready to do the deed.
    fastnlight likes this.
  17. fastnlight

fastnlight Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    I agree that the KD product is overall more solid, but also does not provide as much drop or forward movement as the werks kit. I have both and compared them. I am still using the werks kit for more lower/forward position, and once I put a stronger bolt in the primary pivot and small spacer in the peg for crush/twist pressure, have had no strength issues and it works well for my dirt roading 180lb self.

Greg
    Laconic likes this.
  18. KennyV

Oddometer:
    Can you please post a link to the KD pegs? I've been thinking I'd go with the sw-Motech ion pegs, but I need to look at the KD ya'll are talking about.
    Thanks much, kenny
  19. KennyV

Oddometer:
    Nevermind, I found the link. Still thanks much anyway!
    Hannda and Laconic like this.
  20. Laconic

Oddometer:
    Kenny, I would have done it but the power's been out and I waited to hook up the generator.