2019-2021 Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Stromcat

Stromcat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Find an independant bike shop,it does not have to be done by a Honda dealer.Should work out at half the cost or less.
  2. chris4652009

chris4652009 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Strom
    huh, is this incorrect?
    https://www.whitedalton.co.uk/motorbike-blog/2013/06/dealing-with-the-dealers/

Do you know if the servicing price set/fixed by Honda? or is it left to each dealer to charge whatever they like?
    If it's the latter I'll ring around as there are a few within reasonable distance from me, if it's the former then they have me over a barrel so I'll just have to suck it up.

thank you again for your reply
  3. Laconic

Laconic No Knee, No Needle

Oddometer:
    How long is the warranty and what is the chance that anything will go wrong with your little sewing machine before it runs out?
    Cal likes this.
  4. chris4652009

Oddometer:
    It has a three year warranty
  5. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between the two threads on the CB500X there must be 800 pages. So, you all can crucify me for asking this because I've read only 50 of the pages.

After much deliberation I decided this bike is for me, especially the '19 and later years. It seems to be most like my '90 Honda Transalp - which has been my favorite bike of all time and was the most versatile (and reliable).

What's the deal on valve adjustments, they're shims, but under/over? I've read some accounts that they are a PITA access wise, and at dealer it might be really expensive.
    Has anyone gone past on 16,000 miles on their '19 and later models (the ones I'm interested in) - what's the verdict. Just a check? Adjust? Anyone going past 16,000 with no ill effects?

The only thing I'm cost wary of is the valve adjustment - yeah, I'm cheap. I have friend with an independent shop but he only works on bikes he wants to work on - I'm going to check with him and see if he's willing and get an estimate and I'm going over to my Honda dealer this morning and get a quote for what a valve inspection/adjustment for the bike.

Anything to add?
  6. ncroadtoad

ncroadtoad No Use to Society Supporter

Oddometer:
    Consider yourself crucified. :lol3

Valves are shim under bucket. If you've done shim under bucket on other multi-cylinder, with a little bit of fairing, you'll have no problems. I've checked my 2013 twice, once 8,700 and again at 25,286. Both times they were on the loose end of the range and on the second check two had moved a .001" and the rest same as before. Based on the clearance I've got and the lack of movement, I don't plan on checking them again until around 50k. As to "should I check them"? I'd say yes, at least once and then you can decide from there. If you can do them yourself, you're golden. But if this bike is your first attempt, it just depends on your mechanical aptitude - or lack of it :D

Your buddy with the shop should have no trouble. I wouldn't take it to the dealer because the only thing guaranteed there is that they are going to take your money.

It's a good bike for a cheap guy.

Cheers
    Hannda, 9w6vx, chazbird and 1 other person like this.
  7. aliensr

aliensr n00b

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="sawride,
    Pictures: https://sawride.smugmug.com/CB500X-Farkels/[/QUOTE]
    thanks for that sawride, really like your yellow/black paint job! I went with the rail kit, M7 plate (more general purpose that the M5 and the V56 maxi case (carbon/clear). I've decided to add the admore lighting kit for safety's sake. will install all of this next month. cheers
    sawride likes this.
  8. barko1

barko1 barko1

Oddometer:
    A few months ago I bought a Leo Vince Carbon exhaust, cost me 247 US shipped from GB. Put it one last week and have only heard it run in the shed but sounds nice, maybe quieter than I thought it might which I am happy with, but better than a sewing machine. Fitment was fine although complicated by my having rear racks that uses the same mounting hole. Just used my existing longer bolt. Quality seem good, comes with a DB silencer that I installed. Got it off Ebay. Saves some weight and probably adds 50 or so hp :D
  9. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

Honda shop quote was $425-$450. That's 2.8 cents per mile. (Fuel is 5.4 cents per mile). The dealer valve job indeed is $$$. I guess my friends shop would be 2/3's of the Honda shop. Most bikes I've had after an inspect/adjust or two have been good with 2-3x mile extensions.

I live in a nice area but have no garage. No way am I going to try and do the job on a street. Finally, and alas, I'm a C-, sometimes D+ wrench.
    9w6vx and ncroadtoad like this.
  10. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its 2 yr warranty on the CB500X in uk, only the VFR1200 gets a 3 yr warranty.
    I only have the 600 mile service done at the dealer, usually free as i negotiate it when i buy a new bike. That means my warranty is covered for the first 13 months. Thereafter i service it myself and not care about warranty, it is a Honda after all. But i do this with all Jap bikes i buy.
  11. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    Did something similar on my Kawasaki Z650 in going with a less expensive Delkevic system. For several months and a good many miles now, I can say it has been a great addition. I had read great reviews on all kinds of bikes, but the price seemed to good to be true. The quality and finish was good, and over time the hardware has shown to be durable.

Like you I went with the optional "enhanced" internal silencer and longest muffler body. I think the Delkevic is definitely too loud with the more common "shorty" mufflers and short internal silencer, but this longer internal silencer was just right. I'm with you that many of these newer bikes sound like sewing machines, and while I don't want obnoxious roaring, I wanted something that indicated I wasn't driving a Prius. Or as Jeremy Clarkson would say...Pryus.:D
  12. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    While at the Honda-Yamaha-Husky dealer asking about valve service costs I noticed there are less than 1/2 the number of bikes they usually have on the floor, and no CB500x, no 500's, really a paltry selection.

I know the sales guy and he says for each model across their lines they have orders from customers - one model, which they can't get, 20 orders. He can't find a CB500X. Check in a month, maybe. He says there's good demand but the lack of bikes he attributes to so many suppliers all over the world sending components to Honda that if one or two go wrong everything is FUBAR - attributed to Covid-19, but who knows if it'll stay this way.

They're pretty pissed, especially with Honda. Sad to see a really good dealer like them in that situation.
    Cal likes this.
  13. chris4652009

Oddometer:

Update:

I rang around the handful of dealerships within a reasonable distance.
    Got it booked in for £170 :ricky at one that is 5 miles further (in the other direction) than the one I bought the bike from.

It definitely pays to ring around the dealerships, the prices are all over the place ranging from £170-250

Happy Monday
    tart and Cal like this.
  14. gehart

gehart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Barry B. I bought a left over 2014 CB500x in 2015 for a good price to replace a KLR and shortly there after sold my 93 K75 as I didn't ride it that much, getting to heavy to move it out of the way in the garage. I'm 71 now and mostly ride in Missouri Hill country. The 500x was/is the perfect replacement bike enough power to keep me happy, handles great especially with a RR level 1 suspension. Happy with my decision.
    Hannda, ncroadtoad, Cal and 1 other person like this.
  15. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks gehart. Once the beemer’s gone and the CB is in the barn, I may sell my old 97’ KLR to help fund a RR suspension upgrade. Come on down and ride the TX hill county sometime.
    chris4652009 likes this.
  16. gehart

gehart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your welcome Berryb. The 2019 and above CB500x some nice improvements over the 2018 and earlier models. I have considered selling my 2014 but then I'd want spend more for suspension work and stuff and have decided that it's probably not worth it as It works well for the riding I do. The stock suspension on my 2014 was my only real complaint. If I'm ever down your way I'll ya up.

Attached Files:

chris4652009 likes this.
  17. TCBronson

TCBronson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a Givi pannier rack for my 2019 CB500X, part number PLX1171, and tried to install it on my 2019 CB500X. after installing the turn signal relocation bracket, the wires were too short to plug back in to the harness. But the main issue is the side racks won't bolt up to the bike like the instructions illustrate on the sides . I don't have a side rail marked by the number 21 in illustration below. Anybody else have any issues? Am I
    givi_plx1171_v35_v37_side_case_racks_honda_cb500_x20192020_black_750x750.jpg Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any help!
  18. TCNG

TCNG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You'll need the 1121FZ top rack to use the PLX1171 side rack, that's what you're seeing with part #21.

TCBronson and Cal like this.
  19. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    As Tncg has said for the rack.
    You can free up some slack in the rear turn signal wires if you are removing the cable brackets along the way.
  20. TCBronson

TCBronson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess I missed that the rack was needed to mount the pannier rack. Thanks for clearing that up for me!
    TCNG likes this.