2019-2021 Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Laconic

Laconic No Knee, No Needle

Oddometer:
    That's what I liked about the Shad racks; easy to put on, retain the OEM grab rails and no turn signal relocation.
  2. sawride

sawride Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you don’t want the top case there is also GIVI part number 1121KIT which has a shorter version of part #21 in the diagram you posted. It is essentially chopped off a few inches past the hole that bolt #10 goes through. When I searched for it I found it on amazon for $97.20
  3. TCBronson

TCBronson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I have the genuine Honda luggage rack and want to keep it so I think I am going to return the PLX1171 kit.

I have some Nelsom Rigg soft bags that I want to hang on the sides and I just want some kind of bar to keep them from coming in contact with the rear tire.
    sawride likes this.
  4. aliensr

aliensr n00b

Oddometer:
    just ordered the Barkbusters Storm 2-point handguards BHG-046 from Twisted Throttle for my '21 500X. Can someone verify that these will work....
    Confusing as hell, so many posts, parts , etc. They won't be availble till April so I can cancel the order if its wrong.
    cheers, plan on picking my new bike up in a week!

update: this is what I needed:
    BB.BHG-081-00-NP Barkbusters bike-specific fitting kit for Honda CB500X ('19-)
    along with the Black Stormguards. Thanks to Twisted Throttle for clearing this up...
  5. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    No, 046 is for the earlier bikes with 7/8th bars.

You want the specific kit for the 2019-on models which have tapered bars - 081, or their universal taper/fat-bar kit - 152.

It's all on the Barkbusters website: https://barkbusters.net/what-fits-my/honda/cb500x-2019-on/storm/two-point-mount/

Jx
    Laconic and Hannda like this.
  6. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi...UK here too......well you'd only miss out on a years warranty so I'd be tempted to do it myself.........
    chris4652009 likes this.
  7. chris4652009

chris4652009 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve managed to get it booked In at another Honda dealer a similar distance away for £170.
    They were surprised at how much the other lot were charging.

i do service all my own vehicles. But while it’s in warranty I’d rather keep the warranty, for the sake of a paying for first service then the first annual one. After that I’ll be doing it myself.
    Johnytuono likes this.
  8. Falang

Falang Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That reminds me of a surprise I had many years ago after I bought a new bike. The dealer serviced it during the warranty, and then I serviced it. When the bike was a year out of warranty, the transmission stuck in second gear. I was 700 km from home. I was stunned by what the dealer said when I phoned him. He knew instantly what the problem was—he said, “Because you did your own servicing, you missed the secret factory recall.” It turned out that all the bikes of that model that were brought in for any servicing had a faulty transmission part changed without informing the customer. Those of us that did our own servicing were, of course, not informed anything was wrong, and the failure was 100% sure to happen in due course. The brand: BMW.
    I wonder if Honda also has secret factory recalls.
    chris4652009 likes this.
  9. chris4652009

chris4652009 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds about right for BMW.
    I've had a few recalls done on various Honda models over the years, none of which were effected by me servicing the bikes at home when they were outside of warranty
  10. Laconic

Oddometer:
  11. HooliganD

HooliganD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bike's looking great Laconic, can you snap a pic from the rear showing how far they stick out from the bike? Those are the 35s?
  12. Sail2948

Sail2948 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What windshield extension are you guys using?
  13. barko1

barko1 barko1

Oddometer:
    I'm using a cut down version. Much lower and I get clean air. Maybe for really long trips I'd want more but this ok
    at 80 mph for medium rides.
  14. ncroadtoad

ncroadtoad No Use to Society Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. Laconic

Oddometer:
    These are the 36s I think, wife thought they looked better than plain black.

My windshield spoiler is the $35 flea-bay knockoff, best money spent in quite a while.

upload_2021-3-13_8-19-36.png
    chris4652009, HooliganD and Sail2948 like this.
  16. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    On these aftermarket clip-on wind deflectors, I was skeptical. I've owned many, many windshield equipped bikes over decades, but I suspected these devices to be for-farkle-only effect. Much like yours, Laconic, I bought a $30 Kemimoto unit off Amazon...yes, I surrender, Chyna...and was a little surprised at the relative quality.

I had recently installed a taller, 1st gen, 650 V-Strom windscreen on my 2017 Kaw Z650. I had to come up with my own hardware from Puig and MRA that worked perfectly since this was a DIY application. I am addicted to wearing an ADV style helmet with visor instead of road bike helmets. However, you know how that can be a pain at 70-80 mph cruising sections.

My 19" tall V-Strom windshield removed all pressure from the neck down, but did nothing for the helmet. After attaching this simple deflector, it completely removed the helmet whipping and pressure. I've tested different positions and angles, and now I can tell how the "gap" between the deflector and windshield contributes to redirecting oncoming air instead of all the work being done just by the main front of the deflector.

Yes, IMO it kind of "dorks up" the lines of the bike, but I'm way past that sort of thing directing me away from what works instead of just looking good. I rode into town yesterday in 25-35 mph gusts, and the difference was amazing. IMG_0007.JPG IMG_0006.JPG
  17. Spina

Spina wannabe motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Hi!
    I was mounting the givi panniers rack on my 2019 model. The forward brace bolts on the passenger footrest.
    I removed the bolt for the footrest but now I can't put it on again. The bolt does pass through the passenger footrest and the panniers rack brace, but not the through the frame bolt. It seems that there's a little rubber mounting behind the frame that seems to have moved slightly, but I can't manage to move it to try to realign it.
    Anybody else had this problem? Could I just try to remove it?

Thanks!
  18. barko1

barko1 barko1

Oddometer:
    I'm lusting after another machine so am contemplating selling my 2020. It's pretty loaded and only has a couple thousand miles on it. Haven't listed it yet but if anyone is looking let me know.

[​IMG]
    Hannda and chris4652009 like this.
  19. Ppimouss

Ppimouss Adventurer

Oddometer:

Are you talking about the mounting points of the footrest on the subframe? I can’t remember any rubber there, each point is a threaded tube welded to the triangular pieces on the subframe.
    When you try without the Givi rack, does the bolt catch the thread?
    Same bike, same rack , a year ago. Not so easy but Did not meet the problem you mention.
    You could compare To the other side footrest assembly, to check.

Attached Files:

20. HooliganD

HooliganD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those fit really nice and tight to the bike. Thanks for the pic
    Laconic likes this.