2019.4.13-4.14 Rio Rico, AZ to Phoenix, AZ 2017 Husqvarna 701

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Lunchables R Good, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Lunchables R Good

Lunchables R Good Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok! the wife meraculously accepted my request to ride my bike, :clap for what will be my longest ride yet. This will also be my first opportunity to camp one night and encounter an old college buddy and friend who live in the same town on the way. I'm starting out in Southern AZ, my wife has a sister there and our 3 Children will visit for the weekend while I storm a path up from Southern AZ to home from Chandler, AZ. Bike is packed just need to load up in the truck and hit the road from Chandler to Rio Rico tonight. I will start the bike in the morning and hit the attached GPX route, piggy backing into the Arizona Backcountry Discovery Route (AZBDR) (Map #1) and the Great Western Trai: Keven Florance Loop (Map #2). Wish me luck, I'm just a N00b on here.
    upload_2019-4-12_16-4-53.jpeg
    upload_2019-4-12_16-5-17.jpeg
    upload_2019-4-12_16-6-57.png
    upload_2019-4-12_16-7-59.png

Attached Files:

The Virginian, riderbrad and black 8 like this.
  2. Lunchables R Good

Oddometer:
    Here are the two GPX tracks I created for my Garmin. I used Google map, imported to Map source and converted to gpx. GPS Kevin has great instructions on line how to do it. Let me know you have have a better free set up. I am looking for a free iPhone GPS app I can plan my route before I go. Avenza is good but could find good maps in these areas.

Attached Files:

3. Manrider218

Manrider218 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1
    [​IMG]
  4. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    In... :lurk
    Lunchables R Good likes this.
  5. Lunchables R Good

Oddometer:
    Hitting the road!
    upload_2019-4-12_18-12-30.jpeg
  6. Lunchables R Good

Oddometer:
    Ok here we go! Starting the bike and heading to Benson AZ to check in on a couple friends their. May stop by Mexico Border for fun.
  7. Lunchables R Good

Oddometer:
  8. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    Better get a second job. Your kids already have the bike bug me thinks!
  9. Samanjo

Samanjo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have a safe trip
  10. Lunchables R Good

Oddometer:
    Eaglescan - You are right. If my kids do 1/4 the stuff my buddies did on our bikes growing up I will never get them a bike. But if ridden responsibly, like I have yet to figure out from what I'm about to update on my ride today, motorcyles are a best friend, and you can service them unlike the cars these days.

Thanks Samanjo, eventhough I just got your comment, it was with me the past 4 hours as I hit the most Rocky, up and down, left and right power line road into the dark and it started out with a no otlet sign... Had to take it or back track hours. And to top it off, multiple gates, unlocked thankfully, unlike the one I hit near Patagonia in the morning. Right after dark I'm bumping up and down this road just trying to get to a safe road 7 or so more miles ahead. Already heart beating, the bike starts to stall out!!!! Call the wife with reception thankfully. I shared my location if it was bad. Bike begins to leak gas. I grab a water batter to save any in case. Seems like the bouncy road overflowed it and stalled it. Sat for 10 min and she started up.. What a first overnighter my man. Saw three big snakes, maybe rattles, don't know. I always lift my feet and speed by by instincts. Saw friends in Benson AZ. Next time I use roads on Google maps for my GPS track, I will satellite it and really look at the terain. I'm glad I'm in my tent. Now get some sleep and hit it home in the morn. I will share my pics, Relieve and gpx tracks for the actual ride tomorrow.
  11. Lunchables R Good

Oddometer:
  12. daBum

daBum Dave the Bum

Oddometer:
    Very Cool!

Just curious if the front wheel came up (accidentally, on purpose) from time to time.

:-)
  13. Lunchables R Good

Oddometer:
    daBum - front wheel came up accidently my friend, not a willie master like you yet.. so did my shocks when they bottomed out on a sneekey rut in the power line road in the dark. Knocked me good but stayed up and keep the throttle humming. Now that I'm back to civilization from a day and night of adventure, there were moments of cruzzing, anxiety when my path was blocked by locked gates or tough terrain, but wouldnt trade it for anything. I will however seek smoother terrain... Here are some more photos of the journey. And thanks daBum for all your excellent gear advice and your experience from your trip from AZ to AK over the years. One day I may follow your footsteps up their. Now off to Church to repent for my poor planning skills, again.. and a prayer for guidance down smooth paths...

This guy got hit by a car this morning, confirming the Rattlers are out there. upload_2019-4-14_9-34-42.jpeg

View of Mexico from the hills in US.
    upload_2019-4-14_9-43-8.jpeg

The start of a few gates that led to a locked gates South East of Patagonia, AZ. If the sign is in Spanish, just turn around.
    upload_2019-4-14_9-39-53.jpeg

Border patrol trucks and helicopter hoovering over what looked to be drug smugglers in the hills full of brush.. Heli is the white dot middle of pic. upload_2019-4-14_9-45-49.jpeg

Somewhere south of Sonoita upload_2019-4-14_9-48-2.jpeg
    upload_2019-4-14_9-48-56.jpeg
    upload_2019-4-14_9-49-42.jpeg

Benson, AZ at the Horse Shoe Cafe with the Richardsons and Caleb, who I didn't grab a pick of unfortunately. upload_2019-4-14_9-51-34.jpeg

somewhere far South East of Florence. upload_2019-4-14_9-53-12.jpeg

This is a picture of my GPS where my bike stalled. Highly recommend you take the roads around this section if your bike is bigger than a 700. And do it in the day... Not at the end of a full days ridding... upload_2019-4-14_9-55-28.jpeg
    daBum likes this.
  14. Lunchables R Good

Oddometer:
    Breakfast
    upload_2019-4-14_9-58-30.jpeg

Camp spot upload_2019-4-14_9-58-2.jpeg

Helinox compactable chair. I use this at the house too. Very comfortable. Thanks daBum. upload_2019-4-14_10-0-10.jpeg
    upload_2019-4-14_10-1-0.jpeg
    upload_2019-4-14_10-1-56.jpeg

Compact Exped Pillow. Worth it! Thanks daBum for advice.
    upload_2019-4-14_10-3-40.jpeg
    upload_2019-4-14_10-4-24.jpeg

Sierra Deign down bag, Chillax compactable air mat and Desert Sleeper compactable cot. Got a little cold maybe because the Chillax matress has air pockets that let CD air sit below. Maybe a blanket under would fix. upload_2019-4-14_10-7-20.jpeg

I will post the try GPS track at a later date with good (Blue) and technical (Red) sections if you so shall ever desire to adventure Southern AZ!

Attached Files:

15. daBum

daBum Dave the Bum

Oddometer:
    Great pics!
    Glad you had fun!
  16. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Amazing pics, looks like an adventure of a lifetime.

Eric
  17. Lunchables R Good

Oddometer:
  18. Bigbugberg

Bigbugberg De oppresso liber Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow! we must have just missed each other. We blasted down Cascabel road on saturday morning, over the Chircahuas, then north to Silver City. Not many 701s out there. I'm sure it would've been you if we saw one!
  19. Lunchables R Good

Oddometer:
    Bigbugberg, you didn't see me in the morning because I was trapped in a maze of ranches trying to find a gate with out a lock south east of Patagonia. I did pass by some adventure riders south of Benson. Heading the direction I came. Hope you had a great trip to Silver City.
  20. Bigbugberg

Bigbugberg De oppresso liber Supporter

Oddometer:
    We had 3 in our group, 690, 1290, and a GSA. Silver City was fun!