2019 AMA Monster Energy Supercross

Discussion in 'Racing' started by nachtflug, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    You've picked and chose what ever, but,the reality is Honda and others are trying to play catchup to KTM now.
    Only their bean counters have a hard time dealing with the quality of certain bike parts the Austrian maker is routinely using. And the lightweight thing.
    And the changing the whole bike when ever the mood strikes. Big Japanese factories arent known for being able to do that.
    slideways likes this.
  2. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Those Kawi engines made good shorttrack engines,Kawi evidently had extras and sold them as crate engines to Flatrack guys. They were about as fast as a silver tank 74 YZ 250 engine.
    dsilver1007 likes this.
  3. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Getting caught up here.

Tentatively planning on hitting A1, Denver and maybe Phx this year. Cant wait!!
    rick danger likes this.
  4. gks

gks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Even before that, Yamaha had the yellow MX models, then came out with the silver tanked YZs (tank held on by a strap). For a few years they sold both, then the MX disappeared and all the Yamaha motocross bikes were YZs.
  5. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Eventually we can work back to Harley copying Indian for board track racing.
    I was referring to modern current times. Not long ago KTM's didnt make the mains at SX events. Not much later they are building the lightest fastest bikes and have won championships all over the world. Long ways in a short time.
    JBird and Tarmac Kid like this.
  6. ridenm

ridenm Missing my emotional support squirrel Supporter

Oddometer:
    Minor edit if you don't mind.
    slideways and Foot dragger like this.
  7. nachtflug

nachtflug deplorable

Oddometer:
    what current up and comers gapped/blitzed the field on the 250's like Cooper did?
  8. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Oh for sure he was a flying maniac on 250's.
    But your only as good as your last race. He cannot seem to put much together on a 450. Lotsa fast guys need rides.
    slideways likes this.
  9. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    What are we supposed to do for the next couple months with no racin???? I know there are some European SX rounds coming up but I am already having withdrawls!
  10. ridenm

ridenm Missing my emotional support squirrel Supporter

Oddometer:
    MX/SX history is littered with guys who couldn't make the transition from 125s/Lites ranks. Webb appears to just be one more of a big bunch.
    slideways likes this.
  11. nachtflug

nachtflug deplorable

Oddometer:
    ok so who are they and how much faster than Cooper Webb are they and what results are you basing that on?
    enduro0125 likes this.
  12. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    The Rockstar/Husky team dropped Wilson like a rock. Had his surgery, did his rehab, about to get back on the track, and they dumped him.

Anyone know if they're just running Anderson this year in 450's?
  13. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    Osborne
    dsilver1007 likes this.
  14. godwinmt

godwinmt They call me Crash

Oddometer:
  15. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    Yeah, sucks....I have a hard enough time when they have a by week.....makes it even harder waiting because I retire on jan. 17th......c'mon January!!
    pvangel likes this.
  16. Hohmie

Hohmie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Baja 1000, DAKAR!
    B1KSOLO, pvangel and bomose like this.
  17. nachtflug

nachtflug deplorable

Oddometer:
    :ear
    enduro0125 likes this.
  18. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Im not gonna detail out specs and figures,I just have seen Cooper flail and do poorly and get hurt on 450's.
    Usually that's not what a team is looking for.
  19. nachtflug

nachtflug deplorable

Oddometer:
    you: there are a lot of guys faster than Cooper who deserve a 450 ride.

me: like who and what have they done to warrant one.

you: Cooper got hurt on a 450.

not very convincing. Cooper Webb is far from done and is an easy top 10 rider maybe top 5 where most of the guys you decline to name aren't but they still deserve his ride over him. :scratch
    enduro0125 likes this.
  20. south

south Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've no desire to get in the middle/muddle of all this, but couched as an observation from an interested bystander--

I don't think that there is/are any (250) guy(s) that you can point to and convincingly declare that they would be absolutely, without doubt, faster than Webb on a 450.

That said, the issue with Webb on a 450 is that, unlike virtually every past great premier-class rider, he certainly has not picked up where he left off or showed the same level of immediate promise when transitioning from the little bike to the big bike. Then on top of whatever doubts/concerns are engendered by Cooper's somewhat rocky 450 start, other, ultimately less successful/dominant, 250 riders jump on 450s and are immediately--and in some cases, surprisingly--competitive: e.g., Malcom, Hill, JMart, and (most recently and most surprisingly to me) Savatgy (seriously, where did that come from? I figured Kawi was just throwing him a bone/rewarding him for his years of loyal effort and pairing Eli with a nonthreatening, clear #2 rider while keeping the seat warm for whichever Pro Circuit 250 rider asserts himself as the heir apparent).

Which I think--and not to put words in his, or anyone's, mouth--leads foot dragger and others (myself included) to wonder about how some of the other/current 250 guys would go on a 450 if they were given the opportunity instead of Cooper. I think the question with Webb isn't so much that there are (known) faster (250) guys out there, it's more a matter of he's had a fair chance (which isn't to say he doesn't rate another go with a different team; I personally don't think he'll go better, but I have no problem with him getting another chance) and not only has he largely failed to deliver, but he really hasn't even shown the sort of promise/potential of the other guys mentioned, despite having far more time to adjust/show what he can do. So that just starts some of us looking around and wondering if perhaps there isn't some other very good 250 rider just lying in the weeds who can, like the guys previously mentioned, jump on a 450 and be competitive if given the chance.

Now, like I said, I don't have a problem with Webb getting another shot; these things work themselves out on the track, regardless of all our (off-track) speculation. I don't know the details of his deal, but I figure he's got at least the full SX season to prove himself.
    Tarmac Kid likes this.