2019 Beta 390 (350-430-500) RR-S - Engineering & Experiences

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by motobene, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Bike addict

Bike addict Going, going, Gone...

Oddometer:
    The OP and myself are from Canada. $250CAD
  2. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    around 80 hrs. Langs website shows it as being out of stock.
    Would not bother with the plastic gears. I'll give him a shout.
    Thanks,
    Bike addict likes this.
  3. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    correct. TPS tool.
    For idle there's a tiny Allen head above the throttle housing. You can turn it by hand.

My clutch side has the fine gray stuff, but it's split case, so not worried, seen it before.

The crud is coming out of the motor side drain.

Now that I think about it...the clutch side has the oil gears in it no? so if the gears were on their way out, they would dump out the clutch side drain.
    I may pull the right case cover over the weekend and inspect the oil gears.

The black crap is weird. Non ferritic, but breaks down in your fingers. Not sure if it's plastic.
  4. motobene

motobene Motoing for 51 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmm. Engine side. Non ferrous. That IS weird! The piston plane pilots tend to view this issue in mire detail. Maybe this link will help?

https://www.cessnaflyer.org/maintenance-tech/item/990-i-found-this-in-my-oil.html

As for idle, I thought the FI's idle was controlled only by the idle bypass, and that we're not supposed to be touching the baseline - I assume - butterfly-valve setting?

But if it's a practical tweak, even if not officially sanctioned, why not? Moving that screw either works or causes unexpected problems, and if so can be tweaked back to where it was (it is wise to record how much it was moved).

I wonder if the brains will fight a butterfly tweak? If the brains say I should be counting X rpm at idle and when it raised by other means, to try to bring it back down in closing the idle bypass some? I don't know enough about it to know for sure.

Apparently that worked for you, so it's not fighting back 100%. What was the turn count on the setscrew to achieve the rpm rise? You bumped up the idle to 950. What was the from rpm?
  5. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    To tell you honestly, I have zero idea. it's my 1st FI'd dirt bike.
    The screw is directly over the throttle body right over the cable. It simply pushes down on the throttle cam and keeps it there. It bumped it from 850 to 930 RPM and made a big difference.

Yeah..the black crud..no idea. I did a trans and engine change at 59h, then had a pretty intense ride, and changed again at 63h. Will drain both again at 70 hrs and report back. I have steel gears on order regardless.
  6. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Timing chain guides are plastic. Anyone "improve" the engine with an aftermarket tensioner?
  7. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    good call. didn't think of that.
    the OEM seems simple enough, and no reported issues on the CCT that I'm aware of
  8. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    had a read through the link. Handy.
    I'll ask a Beta dealer that I'm buying parts from.
    My friends 430 main bearing went and he was the guy he sourced all the parts from. Was very good to deal with I was told.
    PlusOnePerformance LLC
    afterhourscycle.com
    Metro Detroit's TM, Beta & Vertigo Race Headquarters

313-918-8944 c/text
    motobene likes this.
  9. motobene

Oddometer:
    I forgot about that part!
  10. Wonger20

Wonger20 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, made my deposit on a 390 RR-S. Fingers crossed it will be before November, but that seems unlikely. Was also told by Beta USA BYOB will likely not be opened up this year, so it worked and deposit placed. Also hoping the '22 won't receive the same $300-$500 price jump as the RR bikes.
  11. motobene

Oddometer:
    Congrats, Wonger20! You have chosen wisely!
    Wisely.JPG

With the mass of printing of money - in the US at least - $500 could end up a modest increase :augie, the value of our money shrinks in response to politicians who are only there to 'help.'

Riiightt :loco

BYOB closed down? That would be a shame. But it worked out better for me not to do BYOB.

I had the time to first figure out what I had bought and to pick my mods more patiently... and wisely.

There are mods that are pretty straight forward as being superior, however, and you can collect those in anticipation of receiving the bike.

Like the widest possible Seat Concepts seat. I still don't know how good the widest possible Seat Concepts seat is on a newer model (with the much shallower-appearing foam), but it's got to be better than the stock seat by a lot!

Enjoy your new Beta when you get it!
    two wheel fanatic likes this.
  12. motobene

Oddometer:
    More info on the MOSFET SF-021-006035 to swap out the OE regulator-rectifier.

I removed and compared the two versions to take the MOSFET to my machine shop and make modifications for adapting first to the Beta mounts, then to my particular setup with more steering degrees.
    IMG_20210606_100040.jpg

The Beta mounts are two posts of diameter 0.325" (8.12mm) spaced 2.638" (67mm) apart. The holes in the MOSFET unit are too small. While the thing is chucked up in my milling machine I will open up both holes with a 5/16" end mill, then I'll chase the hole with a Q drill (0.332" or 8.5mm). All you need is clearance, so if you don't have the metric or letter drill use an 11/32" drill.

My additional machining step will be milling ~1" wide and 0.06" deep across the posts mounts to move the unit closer to the frame and thus not have the fork tube bump into it at full lock. Recall further up how I removed the nuts from the fork stops to get more steering arc degrees.

Here's the OE unit in situ and then missing so you can see the mounting posts and the steering stop bolt without a nut on the left side, but with a washer:
    IMG_20210606_100353.jpg
    IMG_20210606_100111.jpg

The two hydraulic lines are the active one for my LHRB, and the inactive original clutch line which is disconnected at the master cylinder. The idea was to be able to swap out and go manual in the event of a problem, but so far no problems.

I'll wait to get back with a modified unit to check voltages on both units: OFF battery, ON idle, and ON rev'd.

I've had no problems with my charging system using either lead-acid or lithium batteries on my 2019. No low voltage issue. All I did was silicone grease every connector. Is it possible the 2019 IE is MOSFET? No way to tell from the outside, but I doubt it.

We'll see what the voltages say.
  13. motobene

Oddometer:
    A recent disappointment was finding my little tail light lens and bulb gone. It's now somewhere out in the desert :dirtdog
    IMG_20210606_101049~2.jpg

The tail light assemblies bounce around a lot on these types of bikes. I made mine better by editing out some of gangly BS, and losing the turn signal extender spacers, but these things are going to bounce around and invite fatigue failures, which is what happened to the mount behind the molded lens.

Had I known this was a possible issue I would have set the lens with silicone 1 clear adhesive to support it additional to the screw mounts.

Maybe in a pre-Reklus stall crash I cracked the part as a start to the eventual fatigue failure? No way to know now with parts missing.

I could try to get one through my dealer to stick with the OE setup and just make sure it doesn't escape to a parallel universe like the original did.

Anyone know of an aftermarket assembly that's about that shape that isn't cheap junk?
  14. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    ok bye, everyone!

Sold my 350, and got a brand spank TE250i, well, it had an hour from the PO. New for all intent/purpose.
    A buddy of mine picked up the 350. The 250 two-stroke suits my riding needs and more importantly terrain.
    The 4s was a riot, but too heavy for what I need it to do.
    Thanks for the help!
    [​IMG]
    richtidebruin and shortman like this.
  15. motobene

Oddometer:
    Sorry we lost you to the Radium Hot Springs! Enjoy the light(er) bike!
  16. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    It's a nice drive out. Long way to go for a 30km ride to break-in the new bike.
    thanks again! Keep enjoying the Betas.
    Bike addict and motobene like this.
  17. motobene

Oddometer:
    The matching part of the MOSFET project just got done in OKie.

Be about another week before I get a Roundtoit to close out the investigation. IMG_20210613_111312.jpg

As you can see compared to the dimension of the post above, I widened the milled flat from 0.85" to 1.0" to make sure I clear the frame-post welds.
  18. Pipeman

Pipeman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just purchased a 2021 390RRS I have completed my first engine oil and gearbox change and now I’m up to almost 200 miles on the bike. I was checking torque for the bolts on everything I can get to when I found the bottom bolt just as in this picture to have a small area missing from the washer face on the bolt. Can anybody explain to me why it is like this? I thought it was screwed up no pun intended but apparently it is supposed to be this way just like in this picture going into the bottom red framework.
  19. Pipeman

Oddometer:
    Here is another picture but on my bike, shows it a little easier.

Attached Files:

20. Pipeman

Oddometer:
    Also I just changed to the 13 tooth sprocket today and I could not find a torque setting, I ended up using 60 N meters which felt pretty good to me. I would like to buy a sturdier dome washer to use though as the stock beta one is pretty thin. It definitely transformed the bike, it was a blast with the stock 15 but now it is like I added 50 more cc, this motor is a sweetheart! Front fork is a bit harsh but I only have about eight hours on it. I backed off the compression three clicks so far, I weigh about 190 all geared up. Love the bike, I replaced a 2021 Husqvarna FE 350 with this Beta, I just never got along with the Husky, did not fit me well.

Attached Files:

mr_guns and richtidebruin like this.