2019 Beta 390 (350-430-500) RR-S - Engineering & Experiences

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by motobene, Apr 8, 2019.

1. DeadGuy

DeadGuy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did see that, I combed through the top 3 Beta threads before posting questions. I thought that was very creative and demonstrated ingenuity and skills I will never have, certainly highly effective. I'm going to test out a couple less elegant configurations I can come up with, I may get back to you with questions if things don't work out. Thks.
  2. footindave

footindave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a question gentleman, I just pulled the trigger on a 21 rr race 390 to replace my wr450 and I am trying to do my research on adding a kickstart.
    Some talk about these bikes need a certain amount of battery juice to run everting , I cannot stand not to have a kickstart as a back up because I don’t wanted to get stranded on my cross country trips deep in the woods if my battery magically goes dead.
    Will the kickstart fire the bike up if battery dies? Don’t really want to blow 400.00 bucks if it won’t fire the bike
  3. two wheel fanatic

two wheel fanatic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello footindave, good choice on the 390. I can’t speak with any experience on a kickstart with a dead battery, but as with any efi engine, you will need some electricity for it to start and run. Fuel pump for enough fuel pressure, power for the ecu, power for the fuel injectors, and pretty sure it is electronic ignition as well. If your battery is completely flat, no amount of kicking would likely get it started. In my opinion for what it is worth, you would be better off getting a small boost pack. With the new boost packs, they probably weigh close to the same as a kick start, small size so easy to carry, can help out a buddy if needed and likely cheaper than the kickstart. Plus the battery connections are easy access on these bikes with the push button seat removal.
    I have a 2021 390 rr-s and before my first ride went thru and packed all of my electrical connectors with grease. Have had absolutely no issues with the electrics. With a multimeter checking true voltage, have 13.8 to 14.1 volts charging with no drop off with throttle changes. Bike starts easy after 1 or 2 revolutions of the engine if you follow proper starting procedures. Let the stepper motor and fuel pump stop buzzing before hitting the starter button.
    Cheers.
  4. footindave

footindave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip; I am excited about the bike I have been riding orange ktm 300 since 2009 and still have my 2016 xcw300 that I ride single track on, but like I said I wanted a replacement for my 08 wr450 for my cross country rides across the upper peninsula of Michigan which consists of mostly single track linked together by fire roads. The wr450 was a great bike just heavy.
    Being that I never ridden a 390 how will the power between the wr and this beta be? I’m not a power junkie I just want to be able to loft the front end at will to get over water and obstacles
  5. two wheel fanatic

Oddometer:
    I ride with a guy who has a 2021 wr450f. Swapping bikes and riding next to each other, what I can come up with is the Beta has a better bottom end torque. Likes to chug along like a tractor. Plenty fast for most recreation riders, but not as stable at high speeds as my buddies wr. Above 90km/h or 50-55mph the wr feels i bit more planted. The wr with the shorter stroke and larger piston really doesn’t seam to really come alive till the revs are higher. The grunty 390 will easily lift/lighten the front end in the lower gears with very little rider input and technique. Wide open high speed sandy trails the wr will take me every time, but I have an easier time on the 390 in tight areas and bushwacking. The power output is probably fairly close betwene the two, but the torque comes on sooner on the Beta.
  6. footindave

footindave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the insight, the only time I hit 55 mph would be on when I’m using connecting roads between trails so that will never be a issue. I was referring to the 20-40 mph sections of trails and fire roads. I can’t wait to ride the bike I just gotta find the time to make the 5 hr trip to go get it since no one in my area could get there hands on one.
  7. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you go the kickstart route, search around for "kick start capacitor" for an success with a dead battery.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  8. two wheel fanatic

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the 390 will be a great fit for you. The Beta will do fast flowy sections, but technical is its bread and butter. I prefer finding obstacles to clear and technical challenges rather than race pace. The WR will do technical, but thrives on fast flowy areas. That is what my riding partner lives and breathes for. I like the WR, but would never trade it for my Beta. He likes my Beta, but would never trade his WR. Different bikes for different likes. We do both agree that we each have the best bike though:)
  9. palada

palada Perma-n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    A lithium battery jump starter should only cost you about $100 and will be easier than kicking. They’re about the size of two packs of playing cards if you haven’t seen them before. I carry one on my ‘21 500 just in case.
  10. footindave

footindave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will look into them thanks for the info.
  11. studiobill

studiobill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. footindave

footindave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Perfect thanks, that’s a lot thinner than I expected. I use giant loop Mojave for my overnight trips. I am interested to see how that fits on the bike because I think the fender clips on the Mojave will not work on the beta because of the under fender that houses the taillight.
  13. sweepea

sweepea Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a 2017 390 with charging issues and had to kickstart (was original equipment) on any longer rides or multi-day rides (complicated, but the charging system just wouldn't keep up with the demand). The fuel pump needs about 8 vdc to fire up, so as soon as I saw my volts dropping below 12, I would start kickstarting the bike whenever I stopped. The 390 takes a hefty leap on the kick-starter to get her going, and usually 2-3 kicks to fire. I put a kick-starter on my newer 2019 390; have only had to use it twice so far; replaced the voltage regulator and the new wiring harness solved the major charging issues.
  14. DeadGuy

DeadGuy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking to run electric power to iphone on bars, hoping for the simplest solution if one exits.

2020 RRS or newer, since I think there were electrical system changes starting 2020. Thks
  15. palada

palada Perma-n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fused wire from battery to bars is the easiest option avoiding any impact to stock wiring. If you pull the tank, you can zip-tie the new wire to existing looms for a clean install. If you need switched power, add a relay and tap into the license plate light.
    AaronK and DeadGuy like this.
  16. DeadGuy

DeadGuy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That seems simple, thanks.
  17. Sumbike

Sumbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You may want to consider a harness for the additional wiring from Eastern Beaver. I've used them on several bikes, high quality wiring and systems. Makes a nice clean installation. I have a non-switched harness that I added a relay (switch) to for heated grips as I didn't want them running with the bike key off.

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring_Kits/Fuseboxes/3_Circuit/3_circuit.html
    DeadGuy likes this.
  18. DeadGuy

DeadGuy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thks for the link, I'll take a look. The only electrical I've ever done on a bike is swap fuses, and sometimes I screw that up. My fear is that I will do something that causes the battery to drain and leave me stranded or I fry something, lol.
  19. H20ENG

H20ENG n00b

Oddometer:
    Replacing the R/R on my 19' 500 with the MOSFET. Should I sand the paint off of the base of the post to aid grounding? Or is grounding done strictly through the harness connector?
  20. Sumbike

Sumbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don’t believe that the R/R needs to be grounded. I didn’t do anything special other than bore out the mounting holes.