2019 BMW F850 GS Adventure Rallye or 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Yoshimitsu411, Mar 12, 2020.

?

2019 BMW F850 GS Adventure Rallye or 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R

1. 2019 BMW F850 GS Adventure Rallye

2. 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Yoshimitsu411

Yoshimitsu411 n00b

Oddometer:
    Which adventure bike (see attached image) should I get?

The BMW (on the right) is like dating a girl you meet at church. She is reliable, you don't need to worry when and where she goes out with her friends, won't embarrass you in social situations, and you're happy to let her meet your parents.

The KTM (on the left) is like dating a stripper. She drinks too much, flirts with your friends, likes to get dirty, and she may leave you stranded somewhere if she is feeling moody.

PS: I did not write any of the above!! I borrowed it from @HickOnACrick post here. Just help me choose! :)

I like both the bikes and both work out to the same price, thanks to a sweet deal at the BMW dealer. The BMW is usually $4000 more.

Capture.PNG

Thanks for any advice.

Yoshi

Attached Files:

2. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Neither... ..get yourself an equally priced 2017/2018 R1200GS Rallye and be done with it.

Test ride them for about 30 mins each and you'll see...
  3. Lansraad

Lansraad Refugee from the land of over-policed bitumen

Oddometer:
    ....or get a KTM 790 (my own preference is the R model due mainly to better suspension and adjustability) if you like the Slice of Orange...

It is probably just me but I really didn't like the 850GSA. I loved the concept and was very excited when it came out but I prefer the feel of my 1200GS LC.

The 850GS is a bit more comfortable on the highway than the 790R, but a Seat Concepts upgrade (or similar) would fix that issue.

Not sure that the "...leave you stranded somewhere..." quote holds water anymore. It perhaps did once, though even then the comment was commonly made by people that didn't realise that early KTMs were quite often on the "race bike" side of the line and needed to be looked after appropriately. They were not the type of dirt bike that responded well to infrequent servicing and general lack of maintenance; unlike other "bullet proof" dirt bikes of the same vintage from other manufacturers. There are stories from owners of every marque about appalling reliability but my hunch is that many of the KTM stories refer to some of the, perhaps less well maintained, older and "highly strung" machinery as opposed to the bikes from the past few years.

There is also a lot to consider in the history of the bikes on offer. The KTM 1190, for example, is a 2016 model. What has it been doing since 2016?
    One careful owner? Oil changed every 5,000km? Air filter cleaned and oiled after every ride? ...or ridden through the Simpson to the Finke River race and back without doing anything except putting fuel in the tank?

Same questions for the BMW - assuming it is second hand? All the servicing done? Recalls attended to? Software updates done? ...or did it do a lap of Oz with only fuel and an obligatory tyre change? If the BMW is new, or a dealer demo with low kilometers and extended warranty, then that is a whole different barrel of monkeys...

What are the accessory levels and options on the two bikes?

What extra farkles would be needed on both bikes to meet your riding requirements?

...speaking of which; what is your riding background? Seasoned MX, Enduro, etc. rider or new entrant to the class?

What do your mates ride? If you are riding, or intend to be riding, with a bunch of people on Husky FE250's that like twisty single track then that may influence or inform your decision. On the other hand if the ADV segment of the ride is limited to the last 10km into the rally site after 600km on the tar that knowledge should help your decision making process.

Finally, of course, the test ride (hopefully on surfaces similar to what you expect to use the bike on) for both machines will be instructive to say the least - especially with two quite different bikes such as these: the BMW with 76kW (102hp) @ 244kg (wet) and the 1190R with 107kW (147hp) @ 235kg (wet). Horsepower doesn't tell the whole story but these are not marginally different figures...

Although the price might be the same that is where, for me personally, the similarity ends. They are two very different bikes to ride - imho.
  4. Husky360C

Husky360C Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Ride both bikes back to back.

One of the bikes will ride very differently than the other, and as a result you will like that bike more, and that's the bike you should buy.
  5. cjmadura

cjmadura Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wise Words....... The R1200GS Rallye would be a much better choice than either of these. My buddy has the same KTM and the build quality is far below the standards of my BMW (R1200GSA).

The boxer bikes are also much easier to pick up when necessary. The KTM is brutally heavy on it's side.......
  6. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    True dat.. my biggest complaint riding my 2015 f800gsa around the world was it falling flatter than my 1200 GSA, eventhough it maybe 75lbs lighter..

that's when I really started to appreciate the boxer engine protrusion.

Picking up a full loaded adventure bike a few times a day when solo-ing makes you appreciate the boxer engine for sure..

If you can have only one bike.. hard to beat a r1200gs/gsa... sure.. there are lighter, more powerful ones.. but in terms of balance, maintenace, and versatility .
  7. Husky360C

Husky360C Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The OP may have his own good reasons for only mentioning the bikes he mentioned.

Some guys simply don't want a driveshaft drivetrain, for example.

It's down to PREFERENCE, and there is no one correct answer that applies to every rider in the world for "which bike is best".

I'll say one thing : the Boxer GS people sure aren't shy about trying to convert people to their flavor. It's reminiscent of how the Moonies used to be when you were
    walking through an airport :rofl:rofl:rofl
  8. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    True..
    He may or may not have any reason to mention any other bikes..outside of maybe just seeing a good deal betweem those two bikes..

Didnt say explicitly one way or the other...

At end of day, its just free information that a grown man can decide if its worth his time or not... Doesnt hurt to be informed..

No one's trying to induct anyone into a cult here...

Furthermore..the BMW R1200GS/GSA adventure bike is the BESTEST one out there, bar none..

Most beautiful..most agile.. easiest to ride.. most resilient .........
  9. Pipeman

Pipeman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 2018 KTM 1290 super adventure and a 2019 bmw f 850gs. Not exactly what you are contemplating but similar. I can tell you the KTM is the move fun motorcycle I have ever owned, nicest handling, best quick shifter, and always fun. The f850 is a great bike also, does everything fine, I bought it for forest roads and other simple adventures but I could ride it to California and back with out question, but it would be a lot more fun on the KTM. That R model would not be my first choice unless you are really going off road a lot. I would look for a 1290 sa it has the 19” front wheel so it’s still fine on fire roads and handles awesome on the tarmac!