1. eNewsletter Sign Up

2019 DAKAR Route rumors.

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Myway, Jan 21, 2018.

1. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Angola...? Funny how things change huh...?

During my school days I vividly remember hearing/reading news reports about the civil war/conflict that had raged there for decades... the place still has one of the highest general population life expectancy and infant mortality rates of anywhere on the African continent apparently...

I have no doubt that the southern part of Africa (including Namibia, Mozmbique, South Africa etc.) has a wonderful assortment of terrain and landscapes that would offer a wonderful canvas upon which to conduct a rally...

But in regards to the "running out of other peoples backyards" issue brought up in the DAKAR route planning thread and here previously... how do we think the the ASO will reconcile this aspect...?

Affluent western culture competitors and factory teams with budgets of seven figures and up... racing across places where Y2K IT problems, or which version of the iphone to purchase, were never a real concern for the bulk of the population.

Etienne and the ASO have been plagued with media attention/critique during their time in South America on enviromental, economic, natural disaster, archeological and natural topigraphical/geographical - even politcal matters...

The DAKAR rally left Africa (the NW Sahara region) in 2008 because of terrorist threat/politcal climate (but the socio economic impact issue had been bubbling under the surface for the last five or six years of that era).

Would going to places like Angola and Mozambique (today) be a bit like getting out of the frying pan... and jumping into the fire...? I dunno... :dunno That's why I am asking - a genuine/legitimate question - from folk that lived or been there recently - my last time in that part of the world was 1992/93.

:ear :lurk
  2. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    They devalued it by 100% last year at the "podium" ceremony so it's a 200% increase in value.
  3. rallye

rallye Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Angola's mortality rates might be from the fact that it is regarded as one of the most dangerous places to be for the sake of over 20 million landmines from the civil war that contaminate the landscape !!
    Not sure if id like to be Dakaring through Angola . There has been cases in the past African Dakars of vehicles hitting landmines
  4. charapa

charapa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Huanuco, Peru, SA, home in Mid-Coast Maine, USA
    Well, here it is June 7th and I do believe I should give an update...... as DAKAR 2019 seems to be (solely) in my 'back yard' - Peru.

New info is that:

(1) Yes it will go south along the coast and return to cover some of the same ground. :flush:flush
    (2) Yes, the REST DAY will be in Arequipa. :bluduh:bluduh
    (3) Possibly they will try to go as far south and include MOQUEGUA and TACNA areas in the far south. In the past they have done little of this area as they tried to get from Arequipa to Arica (or VS/VS) in a day. But this doesn't compute with (4). :becca:becca
    (4) Etiene says SS will be 200 to 250 kms with little Liaisons. That doesn't compute with running all the way to TACNA before or after the rest day. Too many kms for what was stated. :dirtdog:dirtdog
    (5) RALLY VILLAGE will be down on the beach again in the Magdalena district like in 2013 (YES!!) :rayof:rayof
    (6) Dibos (the Peruvian contact ASO person and famous Rally Car racer in Peru) used the word 'bucle' meaning 'to loop back' referring to the way the race will return to the desert. I still think it will be:
    LIMA-PISCO-SAN JUAN DE MARCONA-AREQUIPA-CUZCO-ABANCAY-NAZCA-PISCO-LIMA. :scratch:scratch

For our tour we are going to spice it up a bit and do various 6-pax airplane flights over the race when it is in the Nazca area (to see the Nazca Lines too!). We will try not to hit any helicopters! :ksteve:ksteve

2018 group 2.jpg
    640 Armageddon, Myway, twinie and 2 others like this.
  5. charapa

charapa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Huanuco, Peru, SA, home in Mid-Coast Maine, USA
    OK, we are almost full on our FOLLOW THE DAKAR 2019 TOUR in Peru! What I need your help for is:
    So again this year I ask the inmates: "Who should be our sponsored privateer Moto Racer be?" This year our group is almost all SOUTH AFRICANS and AUSTRALIANS so maybe one of the guys from either of those places??? Looking for suggestions. MUST be an ADVRider Inmate!

Last year (as in 2013 and in a small way in 2017) again we helped Lyndon Poskitt #100 and had the priviledge of having him (and the MALLE MOTO Media Crew) right in our own hotel in Lima, prepping the bike and doing orientation with our group.

26730823_10212460210752806_3089314422341643634_n.jpg
    27972448_768684856656863_8692853250596615363_n.jpg

18447689_10212460199952536_530410606753580407_n.jpg 26730767_10212460208712755_6493739699966887855_n.jpg
  6. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    :lurk

Hmmm... This is underwhelming indeed. Hopefully once the tour is over things might shuffle along but gee by golly.
  7. beechum1

Oddometer:
  8. ferals5

ferals5 Team black bikes

Oddometer:
  9. beechum1

Oddometer:
    Reports ASO meeting in Paris.
  10. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Google translate;

It seemed that the 2019 edition of the Dakar was going smoothly after the confirmation of Peru as the only host country. However, in the last hours it transpired that the Peruvian government would reverse its decision and desist from being the only host country of the competition.

On June 7 they should have begun the validation of career paths, but this did not happen because the Ministry of Culture did not give the OK to recognition for bureaucratic problems.

However, now it was learned that the real reason why the ASO work team, which organizes the test, did not begin to delineate the route is because the aforementioned ministry does not yet have the budget approved to perform the protection of cultural heritage in the area of influence of the 2019 Dakar.

Due to the policy of austerity of the government of Martín Vizcarra, in Peru they speculate that this budget will not be available and that this would undermine the realization of the competition, which in principle must be disputed from January 6 to 17 next year.

Moreover, the media assure that next Friday could be announced the definitive cancellation of the Dakar, despite the existence of a contract by which the government of Peru promised to pay six million dollars.

This situation provoked a quick reaction from the Peruvian pilots, who raised a letter to Cesar Villanueva, President of the Council of Ministers. In the same one it emphasizes his "preoccupation" by the uncertainty of the future of the test and they remind him that "the Dakar is the most important motorsport event in the world after the Formula 1" and that in only five days of competition in Peru in 2018 "left the country 154 million dollars in media impact at the international level and 40.5 million dollars in economic impact for activities such as tourism."

Likewise, they hope that the same will not happen in 2016, when "with all the advanced preparations and investments made, the government decided to reverse its participation in the race, a fact that not only hurt us, but also economically, us and the thousands of Peruvians directly or indirectly involved with the competition, but also represented a negative impact on the image of seriousness of the Peruvian Government at the international level ".
    keepshoveling likes this.
  11. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    40.5 million in tourism? Who? Is that a theory or fact.

Apparently 90% of people who go to a F1 race wouldn't even know there was one, more for show-boating how much coin you've got than anything else. Don't know if that's a good association.
    640 Armageddon likes this.
  12. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    It’s OK, none of the folks reading that letter have been to an F1 race either.
  13. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    DAKAR (history repeats?)...

forced hiatus in 2008... re-invented in South America 2009

forced hiatus in 2019... re-surrected in (?) 2020...?
    Mouse and twinie like this.
  14. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's hard to believe that ASO's profit margin is so narrow that they are willing to cancel the show instead of taking a pay cut.

What a opportunity this would be for the Africa ECO race.
    ferals5 and beechum1 like this.
  15. twinie

twinie Gabe

Oddometer:
    Talking about margins... i read somewhere that Peru had to pay 6 million dollars (as mentioned above) plus 25 million dollars to enhance the infrastructure, safety and logistics issues. That is a LOT of money, i believe.

So... what does ASO actually have to pay, if we even consider the money they get from big sponsors?
    txingui likes this.
  16. beechum1

Oddometer:
    Has anyone done an estimate of costs? THere's year round overhead, For route setting there's travel, vehicles and maintenance and repairs, incidentals. There's political stuff like permits, environmental studies, "investements" for local governments. There's the logistics for the race of course, that kind of cost must be incredible, off the top of my head I'd say just the race costs half of the yearly budget easily. Anyone know how to get a PNL?
    twinie likes this.
  17. Scotty_J

Scotty_J Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wonder where Red Bull fits into all this? Surely they have a seat at the table?
  18. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    So, no South America.

It's a big assumption that Africa might welcome them back.

They've had the real dollars tapped on the shoulder (the cars) and I'm pretty sure aso won't stick its neck out too far just to keep basically a bike and privateer car event going, that'd be at odds to their other event and risk polluting the water.

Ergo end of dakar... it's all over bar the singing. Unless of course they perhaps buy out the Eco...
  19. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    And think I just read the Peruvian govt has made a counter offer re dollars... Probably put their hand out is my guess, at least if I was them I would.
  20. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    D Day today - negotiation or politics scuppering things, we’ll know soon enough, but unless there is some innovation in the Dakar the future isn’t bright. The event has morped into an event costing millions, and unless it works for key sponsors to foot bill and not hosting nations, there’s defiantly trouble ahead!
    640 Armageddon and Mouse like this.