2019 DAKAR Route rumors.

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Myway, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    They look a bit frightened too! I heard (there was an Eco Race presentation last week in Italy) they could even put a limited number to the booking. Botturi possibly joining the rankings, Ceci too but on SSV, maybe others?
  2. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Face webs reporting 6 Jan, peru.
  3. ferals5

ferals5 Team black bikes

Oddometer:
    Translation from farcebook
    ‘See you in Lima ...
    The Dakar was declared today by the Peruvian government as an "Event of National Interest". See you at the exit on January 6!

Dream I'll give. LIVE IT!
    # Dakar2019’
    keepshoveling likes this.
  4. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    Well, so another Incas Rally, Meoni won it in 1990!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    That was quite a "rally" Franco came up with Jerry Bernardo and Jimmy Lewis did it.
  6. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
  7. charapa

charapa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Huanuco, Peru, SA, home in Mid-Coast Maine, USA
    Folks, it looks like things are ironed out with Peru! The overall route should be boring, but the stages should be good! Just waiting for the Day to Day route announcement.

The INKAS RALLY was 1989 and was not repeated (I talked to Franco Acerbis personally about this the following year) because of the corruption in the Peruvian Motorcycle Federation. Got me quite a few good (only slightly used) tires out of that one! Also met Malcom Smith and a few others then!
    txingui and Gian like this.
  8. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    Are there any similarities between the route of that old Incas Rally and what could be the next Dakar race?
  9. charapa

charapa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gian,

There may be some similarities of routes in the Andes and desert coast, but alot has changed in Peru in almost 30 years, including some of these routes being paved now! There will obviously be no 'jungle' routes as they are promising 70% of stages including dunes! Plus, each organization (ACERBIS in that case vs ASO for the Dakar) has their own favorite places and routes. With (3) Dakars and (2) Dakar Series events here in Peru, we who live here have a good feeling where most of the action will take place. The many archaeological areas and natural reserves force the stages to be run in specific areas outside of them. Plus, this is very different from Africa as in Peru, the Andes are pushed up against Pacific Ocean causes a limited (tho vast) location(s) for the dune stages. Then you have the desert coastal Andes valleys where if they head east, they can get boxed in and have to return via the same valley except in a few cases.

Since this is going to be all in Peru, I would be very surprised if they did not get on the LAND OF THE INCAS horse and use Cuzco as a promo piece (plus Peru will want them to do this!). Thus I believe that after the rest day in Arequipa, they will head towards Cuzco (via the COLCA CANYON as there are some awesome back dirt routes that follow the headwaters of the Amazon), then western back route to end in Chalhuanca, then back to the Nazca (San Juan de Marcona) area for more dunes.

26815597_10212460199192517_7125806006443056657_n.jpg
    Mouse, ferals5 and Gian like this.
  10. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    A very nice vintage video from Incas 1989
    troy safari carpente, VDG and charapa like this.
  11. charapa

charapa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brings back many memories! 10 days long! Peru was in a bad way during that time. Terrorism, 7,000% annual deflation of the currency, narcos running rampant, etc. I spoke the following year to Franco Acerbis and asked why they had not repeated the event. Terrorism? Logistics?

"Nope" he said, "it was the damn corrupt government Motorcycle Federation". They all wanted bribes and free motorcycles to do their jobs! :chace:chace
    twinie likes this.
  12. Moto Benny in MTL

Moto Benny in MTL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone.

Pat and i were entered in the silk way Rally for this summer but the China portion was cancelled and our race car and support trucks ended up stuck in china customs hell. we just got them out and they're on their way back to Canada. I wanted to give some comments on dakar 2019....

regarding Peru and only Peru... there's no question that a B.A to Santiago or B.A to Lima run looks more epic and feels more epic as you're doing it. BUT, of all the countries Dakar has been to in SA, Peru is the best one - incredible dunes (with real depth and breadth - lots of room to run big dune stages, whereas Argentina and Chile have tighter dune systems), amazing fans and awesome food. the atmosphere in Peru is really fun - it feels more like Baja (in a good way) whereas Chile feels like racing through Germany - the fans in Chile? there are none! Argentina has amazing fans and an incredible topography, but the truth is that 80% of what they have is really dusty roads and speaking as a mid-pack guy, it sucks... As a privateer, i actually love the Peru only option - logistics are much easier and cheaper and we get to focus on more dune driving, which for me is really the thrill of Dakar. Will it be the toughest Dakar ever? probably not given how brutal last year was (I wasn't racing) but Peru can be hugely tough. if they give us 9-10 days of real racing it will be very tough. A lot of the time the big huge 631 km stages actually go by quickly. It's the sneaky 250 km ones that can be murderous. just think of your last extreme enduro trail ride with friends - you cover 20 km in 3 hours! (In Quebec that's the case!)

regarding competitor interest, i agree it will be a small turn-out but if this is the end of the SA chapter, so be it. My dream was always to race Dakar in Africa so bring it on.

Regarding Africa, I really don't see how they can go through Algeria - the migrant crisis is still very real. Imagine the horrible PR/Optics of a all that fancy hardware on an extreme vacation while blasting past migrants from chad on their way north. Beyond the migrant crisis, there's the serious issue of Salafists and AQIM rebels who would absolutely love some press. I can't think of an easier target than 500 vehicles spread out over 300 km of desert.

So would they go through Morocco? yes! But that would only chew up 4-5 days before they get to the dead end of the southern border with Mauritania - that country also has problems with Jihadists but it may be possible to secure enough space for 2-3-4 days of rallying. Yes Eco race already does it but the profile of Dakar is another thing entirely and would make a very juicy target. If ASO do go this way my guess is that they will combine forces somehow with Eco race.

My sense is that Dakar 2019 would be Namibia to South Africa, with maybe some Botswana in the mix. Those countries are huge and the Mercator projection maps we look at don't do them justice.

If any inmates are racing Dakar let me know - I'd be happy to help with logistics.

Dave Bensadoun
    Mouse, Carlos M, twinie and 2 others like this.
  13. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Dakar Addict!

Oddometer:
  14. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Long timer

Oddometer:
    They will stay in the top half and not going down South were the problem area is.

[​IMG]
  15. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    Actually you can go southern than the map shows, being myself to Djanet latest end of the year, and they went again even closer to the Niger border, without problems. Obviously not on your own, but under careful check of local authorities. I was told is possible to go to Tamanrasset too, not possible unfortunately the crossing between Tam and Djanet, which was a classic route back then.

Anyway amazing desert, gooo if you can!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    keepshoveling and twinie like this.
  16. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    A few details . . .
    upload_2018-7-18_10-53-52.png
  17. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    Now the course is known!
    upload_2018-7-18_14-43-7.png
    tHEtREV, garfey, twinie and 1 other person like this.
  18. charapa

charapa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You beat me to it! Now we have to chase it to Arequipa or we will miss too much of it!
  19. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    It's at least a little stunning how much recon they have to have in their pocket OR, do prior to the race when these problems arise.
  20. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    Nicola Dutto, the Italian paraplegic rider, has just received the OK for his first participatione to the Dakar! hats off!:clap