2019 DAKAR Route rumors.

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Myway, Jan 21, 2018.

1. charapa

charapa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Huanuco, Peru, SA, home in Mid-Coast Maine, USA
    7 de enero: Etapa 1 – Lima-Pisco (331 km, 84 de especial) SS01 84 KM / LIAISON 247 KM (BIKES REVERSE ORDER)

8 de enero: Etapa 2 – Pisco-San Juan de Marcona (554 km, 442 de especial) SS02 442 KM / LIAISON 112 KM (CARS FIRST)

9 de enero: Etapa 3 – San Juan de Marcona-Arequipa (799 km, 331 de especial) SS03 331 KM / LIAISON 468 KM (ACARI DUNES)

10 de enero: Etapa 4 (Maratón) – Arequipa-Moquegua (511 km, 352 de especial para motos y quads) SS04 352 KM / LIAISON 159 KM y Arequipa–Tacna (664, 352 de especial para coches, camiones y SxS)

11 de enero: Etapa 5 (Maratón) – Moquegua-Arequipa (776 km, 345 de especial para motos y quads) SS05 345 KM / LIAISON 431 KM y Tacna-Arequipa (714 km, 452 de especial para coches, camiones y SxS)

12 de enero: jornada de descanso en Arequipa

13 de enero: Etapa 6 – Arequipa-San Juan de Marcona (839 km, 317 de especial para motos y quads SS06 317 / LIAISON 522 KM; 810 km, 291 de especial para coches, camiones y SxS)

14 de enero: Etapa 7 – San Juan de Marcona-San Juan de Marcona (387 km, 323 de especial) SS07 323 KM / LIAISON 64 KM

15 de enero: Etapa 8 – San Juan de Marcona-Pisco (576 km, 361 de especial) SS08 361 / LIAISON 215 KM (MASS START)

16 de enero: Etapa 9 – Pisco-Pisco (410 km, 313 de especial para motos/quads y coches/SxS SS09 313 KM / LIAISON 97 KM (SUPER ICA) ; 408 km, 311 de especial para camiones)

17 de enero: Etapa 10 – Pisco-Lima (358 km, 112 de especial) SS10 112 KM / LIAISON 246 KM (ULTIMATE)
    Jake.life.is.rally likes this.
  2. charapa

charapa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, Navigation Geniuses....

Here is my dilemma with SS02:

ASO's fear of crossing a protected anthropological area or natural reserve is understandable in as they have even been blamed for damage that they had nothing to do with! Lets assume they use the same BIV areas of Pozo Santo (for PISCO area) and the SJ Marcona airport as the BIV in that area)

So on SS02, 1/2 way between the ICA sand dune area (in which they must be careful also of the PARACAS natural preserve in the northwest corner of this area) and the San Juan de Marcona area there is the SAN FERNANDO reserve. As in the picture below, this area (if you included the grey area also, known as the "zona de amortiguacion" or basically the "shock absorber area" to make sure no one gets close to the reserve) flows all the way to the Nazca Lines area with no corridor between.
    MAPA RN SAN FERNANDO.jpg
    Jaime and I went out on the road to Puerto Lomitas to where the Rio Grande and the Rio Nasca (top center of pix) come together and took a look at the only possible spot that the Dakar racers could cross the river and access that narrow corridor and get to the SJ Marcona side, and there is no way. There is a 15 ft cliff on the other side and the river base is very soft in places. Besides, they would have to run over some greenery......

Such is likely the reason that they have always exit onto the highway and bypassed this racing only on one side or the other and transiting the other part.

HERE is the part that doesn't make sense on SS02:

The liaison part of SS02 is only 112 kms. 112 kms doesn't get them past this corridor if they were to do the 442 kms of the special on the SJ Marcona side OR the 112 kms doesn't get them to SJ Marcona if they do the 442 kms of the special on the ICA side! Does this mean that there will be a CP1, liaison, restart and CP2 (ASS)? As far as I recall they have never done that in this area......
  3. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't call myself a genius but do have some first hand experience...

There could be a neutralized section in the special. These km's are considered part of the special and not liaison km's.
    ferals5 and DruncleWill like this.
  4. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. bend27

bend27 by hook or by crook

Oddometer:
    IMG_2687.PNG
  6. charapa

charapa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting link to map MYWAY. If you overlay the mining rights also it seems the rights to mining are not exclusive as many of the tracks run right through there! On this one they are not showing the 'area de amortiguacion' around the San Fernando area, but ARE showing it around the Paracas Reserve through which Dakar routes HAVE invaded.....
  7. bend27

Oddometer:
    Charapa, do you know where the teams could be doing their shakedown somewhere around Lima before the start of the race proper?
  8. charapa

charapa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    bend27, They will be either at the San Bartolo (km62 S) area (the most likely as there is KTM and Polaris support and vehicle storage there), or at the Asia (km102 S) area. All the other areas are 'off limits' to Dakar practice.
    bend27 likes this.
  9. bend27

Oddometer:
    Thanks Toby, not long now, see you in a few weeks:-)
  10. congo2

congo2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Following..... very last minute decision to come down..... will be landing on the 6th.... and trying to follow until the 13th.
    ferals5 and keepshoveling like this.
  11. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:

Ettiene Lavigner llegó a nuestro país en el transcurso de la semana donde se reunió con mas autoridades, al parecer indica que todo depende de las situaciones que se presenten en para que Paraguay albergue 3 etapas.
    Transation the fast way:
    Ettiene Lavigner came to our country in the course of the week where he met with more authorities, apparently indicates that everything depends on the situations that arise in Paraguay to host 3 stages.
  12. charapa

charapa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saw this but thot it was too soon to talk about........
  13. Yagua

Yagua Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m Paraguayan. A Friend was in the meeting with Ettiene. 90% sure that 2020 ends in Paraguay. 3 stages. It all depends on argentina and Chile (starts there).
    ferals5 and DruncleWill like this.
  14. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was holding my breath for a return to Africa.
    This year's race must be spectacular in every way if South America success is to continue.
  15. gqelements

gqelements Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Come on down! I JUST booked. :)

4-9th, all my work schedule could accommodate. :(
  16. congo2

congo2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I messaged you.
  17. Erick PE Rodriguez

Erick PE Rodriguez n00b

Oddometer:
    hi guys, greetings fro Arequipa Perú, I'm trying to figure out the route for stages 4 and 5... seems like all the action take place at "pampa de la clemesí" (between Tambo River and Moquegua City) because the first bivouac for bikes is at Moquegua and for cars is in Tacna (exactly after a liason of 153km...) ...
    ferals5 and Myway like this.
  18. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    Can you give some GPS coordinates for those locations, or a map image showing the area that is allowed for competitors to practice? Hopefully it's a big enough area to put in some kilometers! I need to make a mini roadbook for a pre-race shakedown. I found those km markers on the highway, and it's not clear to me where near there that there is a reasonable off-road practice area.
    KM 62: 12°30'8.59"S 76°44'27.05"W
    KM 102: 12°47'27.54"S 76°33'50.38"W
    bend27 likes this.
  19. bend27

Oddometer:
    Just out of interest? What/who’s bike are you shaking down?
  20. charapa

charapa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The trouble recently is that a large portion of both these areas have been bought up by chicken farmers. Actually the whole are is owned but not watched so you can easily get in a romp around. These are tha last areas you can do that before the areas that the Dakar ASO will can your ass and eliminate you from the competition if you go to those places.

At -12.3811 / -76.7811 at San Bartolo there is a dirt road that follow a dry wash northeast. That is the best way in and out without getting land owners crazy.

At -12.8192 / -76.5372 at Asia, there is a dirt road into the desert and dunes. This is actually a better spot with more free area to roam.

We are interested too. Stop by our hotel in Miraflores if you get a chance. ALDO Racing from Canada will be there too. If you don't know where or what hotel it is pm me.
    bend27 likes this.