ADVrider Rally 2019 dEATh vALLey nOObs rALLy March 28-31

Discussion in 'Rallies' started by NSFW, Oct 17, 2018.

1. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    ADV DEATH VALLEY NOOBS RALLY, #16 IN 14 YEARS

WHEN: MARCH 28-31, 2019
    WHERE: PANAMINT SPRINGS RESORT
    40440 CA-190, PANAMINT SPRINGS, CA 93545

MAP LOCATION: https://goo.gl/maps/t7Lod8od3uT2

This has become an iconic tradition, and our 14th year of denoobing new riders.... hundreds will agree....:lol3

Primarily a meet-up of dual sport and adventure riders who are looking for a friendly atmosphere to get in or back to the sport. The only time in the year where noobs get all the attentio and respect.

Our goal is to facilitate the event that will provide an opportunity for beginners and those lacking experience or skills to become better and safer riders. It is also the place to meet other riders with the same or similar skill level.

PROGRAM and SCHEDULE OF ACTIVITIES:

March 28: Arrival and registration, details to follow.

March 29: TBD

March 30: TBD

March 31: Finished by noon

Migilitos Run - March 27 (Wednesday) is optional, and will be held at the Saline Valley Hot Springs

Also part of the tradition, we team up with Jimmy Lewis to offer a special class to help students to gain the correct skills and become better/safer riders. Only registered participants can sign up to class, and as an incentive, all who completed the class will receive a $50 voucher from DVNR.

[​IMG]
    Team Vegas, sugaree, AZQKR and 3 others like this.
  2. NSFW

Oddometer:
    please avoid sending me a PM.

post up your question since others could also provide answers. many of the answers, including your question could benefit others too.

don't worry, don't be shy....this is the noobs rally!

ATTENTION PEEPS

ONCE WE HIT 200, WE WILL TEMPORARILY CLOSE THE LIST BELOW. YOU CAN POST UP BUT WE WON'T ADD YOUR NAME TO THE LIST. THERE WON'T BE ANY MORE DIBS AFTER 200.

THE REASON IS WE NEED SOME TIME TO STUDY THE CAMPING AND RESORT ACCOMMODATIONS. WE WILL REPOST ON PAGE 1 WHO GETS WHAT AND WHERE. FOR SURE THERE WILL BE AVAILABLE SPACES FOR #201 AND ON, WE'LL ASSIGNED YOU A CAMP SITE IN ANY ORDER THAT WE SEE SUITABLE WITHOUT CRAMPING. DON'T WORRY, WE CAN ACCOMMODATE UP TO 300 BUT I WILL CLOSE THE LIST WHEN WE HIT 250.

THOSE STAYING IN THE HOTEL ROOMS AND CABINS...YOU HAVE TO PAY PSR DIRECTLY USING A PASSWORD. WE WILL GIVE YOU 3 WEEKS TO COMPLETE IT STARTING JAN. 1ST, OTHERWISE WE WILL GIVE YOUR SPOT TO THE NEXT PERSON WAITING. HOPE THAT WILL BE ENOUGH TIME FOR THEM TO PLAN ON COMING.

TO GET THE PASSWORD YOU HAVE TO BE REGISTERED AND FULLY PAID. I WILL UPDATE BASECAMP4ADV.COM

IF YOU'RE NOT ON ADV, SORRY AND WE WILL TAKE YOU OFF THE LIST. YOU STILL HAVE TIME TO JOIN. MISSUS AND CHILDREN ARE EXEMPT.

DIBS AND IN LIST
    Team Vegas, Nubs and Scubalong like this.
  3. NSFW

Oddometer:
    new post...10/26/18

NEW with lower prices!......:clap
    [​IMG]

OLD.....:D
    [​IMG]
    Team Vegas, Folgore and dunerat like this.
  4. FYYFF

FYYFF Forever young...

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

MOTEL ROOMS:
    #1: 2 Beds (1 Queen, 1 Double)
    #2: 1 Queen Bed
    #3: 1 Queen Bed
    #4: 2 Beds (1 Queen, 1 Double)
    #5: 1 king bed
    #6: 1 Queen bed
    #7: 1 Queen bed
    #8: 2 Beds (1 Queen, 1 Double)
    #9: 2 Beds (1 Queen, 1 Double)
    #10: 3 Beds (1 Queen, 2 Doubles)
    #11: 2 Beds (1 Queen, 1 Double)
    #12: 2 Beds (1 Queen, 1 Double)
    #14: 3 Beds (1 Queen, 2 Doubles)
    #15: 2 Beds (1 Queen, 1 Double)
    #16: Cottage - 2 bedrooms
    #17: Miner's Cabin - 1 Queen Bed
    Queen Cabin Room: 1 Queen Bed
    King Cabin Room: 1 King Bed
    Bunk Cabin: 1 Full, 1 Twin bunk-bed (3 beds total)

FULL HOOK-UP RV SITES:
    #1 - #10

TENT CABINS (8 x 2-cot & 2 x 4-cot):
    #14: 4 cot cabin
    #15 - #19: 2 cot cabin
    #20: 4 cot cabin
    #21 - #23: 2 cot cabin

TENT SITES (22 total):
    #24 - #45

DRY RV SITES (28 total):
    #46 - #73

------------------------------------------------------

Couple things to remember about accommodations and dibs:
    • Dibs do not guarantee your spot until you pay for it on January
    • Event organizers reserve the right to make changes to dibs if needed
    • Event organizers, volunteers, long timers and brand new noobs have priorities on dibs
    • Please post all your requests on this thread, DO NOT SEND ME PM's. I need to add your post # next to your dibs.
    • Unless you asked for otherwise, I add everyone as 3 days and 3 meals.
    • Any complaints should be directed to 1234 Any St. Any City, BS 98765
    ------------------------------------------------------

Here is the link to IN LIST on Google Docs. I couldn't find a way to post it here with a nice format so decided to update it on Google Docs.

Click for the IN LIST

Team Vegas and NSFW like this.
  5. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Places to Visit

This will be added to over time...

Darwin Falls
    Very close to Panamint Springs is a small oasis and the Darwin waterfalls. Take the turnoff south from 190 about 1/4 mile west of Panamint Springs. Then it's a short 2.5 mile ride to the trailhead parking area, followed by about a 1 mile hike to get to the Lower Darwin Falls.
    [​IMG]
    You can also keep climbing up the narrow canyon to reach the Upper Falls (but would be difficult to do in riding boots). It's fed from one of the few permanent springs in Death Valley. Well worth the hike to take a look!

China Garden Spring
    About 3 mile past the Darwin Falls trailhead will be turnoff to China Garden Spring. Another little oasis with small fish to see.
    [​IMG]
    At one time this area was used for a zinc mining processing facility.

Darwin
    A semi-ghost town, inhabited by approximately 30+. Has an interesting history - once a rowdy mining town and at one time the largest town in Inyo County. Now it's mostly populated by people that just want to be left alone. One of the scenic spots...
    [​IMG]
    You can read about it's history here. Or watch this interesting documentary...

When entering Darwin, remember the Hills have Eyes!

Cerro Gordo
    Cerro Gordo (Fat Hill) is a ghost town in the Inyo Mountains. At one time, it was the site of the largest Silver mine in California. Read more about it here.
    [​IMG]
    The site was sold for $1.4M last July. It is accessible from the west from Keeler, and from the east via White Mountain Talc Road (from Saline Valley Road). The route from the west is much easier.

Salt Tram
    The Saline Valley Salt Tram Summit Station is about 14 miles north of Cerro Gordo.
    [​IMG]
    The salt tram carried salt from Saline Valley over the Inyo Mountains to a discharge terminal near Swansea. It took over 1.3M board feet of lumber for the various tramway support structures and control stations.
    [​IMG]
    Quite the engineering feat...

Saline Valley Warm Springs
    About 70 miles north of Panamint Springs and about 6-1/2 miles east of Saline Valley Road are the Saline Valley Warm Springs.
    [​IMG]
    It's a series of three springs and several soaking pools. It's a clothing optional area,so bring your bathing suit (or not - nobody really cares). It's well maintained by the many regular hot spring aficionados and the resident caretaker named Lizard Lee.
    [​IMG]
    It's a popular camping area but be prepared to bring what you need an be self-sufficient. It's a little oasis literally in the middle of nowhere.
    [​IMG]

Eureka Dunes
    North of Saline Valley Warm Springs are the Eureka Dunes. Accessible by experienced riders via Steel Pass heading north from the hot springs, or the easier route of taking Eureka Road south from Death Valley Road (running roughly between Big Pine and Scotty's Castle).
    [​IMG]
    The dunes are constantly changing. Absolutely no riding on the dunes! But feel free the take a hike if you wish. They're quite a sight to see...
    [​IMG]

Crankshaft Crossing
    On Death Valley Road, 11 miles east of Eureka Road, is a road junction known as Crankshaft Crossing. Look at the pic to see why it's named that. You can turn northeast at the junction to head towards Gold Point (or Hwy 266), southeast to head towards Scotty's Castle or Ubehebe Crater, or southwest to head towards Eureka Dunes or Big Pine.
    [​IMG]
    AZ TOM, BillUA, Shooby and 2 others like this.
  6. GSequoia

GSequoia I know a few things about radios...

Oddometer:
    Radio placeholder.
  7. headstaller

headstaller Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jimmy Lewis offroad riding class (Pahrump).....

1. typeamark
    2. AZQKR
    3. Unkgd
    4. 32vsnake
    5. cowgirl
    6. wheresbaoskee
    7. Mrs. welshracing_752
    8. KenR
    9. paprikajoe
    10. Next Step
    11. sugaree
    12. maritan
    Pinarretta and Mr Head like this.
  8. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    place holder
  9. FYYFF

FYYFF Forever young...

Oddometer:
    Place holder.
  10. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adventure flashback...

[​IMG]

Future adventures loading....

:ricky

-M
    catfish, AZ TOM, Cowgirl and 3 others like this.
  11. migilito

migilito Perpetual NooB

Oddometer:
    Saline Valley Pre NooBs overnite ride
    nOObs

(AKA Hell or High Water ride)

What: Saline Valley Warm Springs overnite ride. Open to all riders-New riders and riders new to Adventure riding are highly encouraged to come This is a basic, easy ride on improved dirt roads (Pavement to the Saline Valley turn off) and a perfect opportunity to test your Adv riding and gear. We will ride as a group from our base at Panamint Springs campground (nOObs Rally) to Saline Valley Warm Springs, set up camp, spend the nite, and return the following morning. Appx 70 miles each way. ANY dual sport motorcycle can make this ride, including Honda's! I will ride a slow, but, steady pace. We will have a sweep and practice group riding dynamics(were going to spread waaaay out and give each other lotsa room). If you find my pace ‘too friggin slow’, please feel free to blast ahead, but, let me know so we don't start searching for you. If we get a bunch of riders we may split into a couple of groups.

Where: Saline Valley Warm Springs- https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...2995c75b7be5a!8m2!3d36.8128786!4d-117.7661246

SVWS is a natural series of Hot Springs located in the middle of nowhere. The springs are primitive camping, although pit toilets are provided. Drinking water is also available. Absolutely NO services are available, so, bring enough fuel, food and parts.

When: We leave absolutely, positively, without exceptions at 1pm on Wednesday, March 27, 2019 from my CABIN #17 at Panamint Springs. The time is set in stone, unless, as usual, we change it.

What to bring:

-Dual Sport motorcycle with decent DS or Knobby tires. The road is simply NOT a technical road. However, it may(depending on Winter) be highly rutted. For more experienced riders there are plenty of technical stuff available, however, we will not ride it as a group..

- Tool kit, parts, tubes. Please have the ability and parts to change a flat. We will assist you,but again you will be fined a beer back at Panamint. I carry a CO2 inflator and tire plugs for my tubeless tires. I’d rx you get a CO2 inflator. I also carry a chain kit, fuel tube. So, please read up on what you will need and ask. I and others will post up more info re kits and what we carry as this thread progresses.

-Rescue: I carry an Inreach, an FRS radio and a HAM radio. Always carry basic Rescue gear-20’ of 1” nylon webbing for a tow strap, Bivy bag, matches, water, food, etc. I and others will post up more detailed rescue kit.

- Food: plan on bringing your own food. Mountain House (and a stove), a sandwich, powerbars, etc

-Sleeping bag, bedroll, air mattress, mink coat. What ever! It’s not cold. Don’t over complicate this-it's Adv riding! 40deg bag is even over kill. Check the weather a week out and prepare accordingly.

-Tent. I do tent, some sleep under the stars(no hammocks-no trees).

- Fuel. You need 150 mile range plus 10%. My bike has a 200 mile range, and I always carry a liter of fuel in an aluminum MSR container. I suggest you getting use to carrying extra fuel if ADV is in your future. Walking sucks in Death Valley especially wearing Mx boots.

-Flashlite and a chair. Sounds obvious and stupid at the same time. Yes, bring an LED flashlite/headlamp and extra batteries.

-Shorts/small towel/flipflops for the springs...cause you can't ride a motorcycle across Death Valley and not go swimming.

-Luggage. Mosko Moto/Giant loop/Wolf/etc. I use a MM Reckless 40l and it is the best piece of gear I own. It’s truly world class equipment, made by a world class company. So, bring what you got, or, get what you need. A duffle that is SECURELY strapped to your bike will also work. USE a cinch strap-it’s kinda like a really strong bungee. MM and others sell them. DO NOT use a rope/tape or the straps you use to strap your bike down with because you will lose your duffle. Did I emphasize securely strapped to your bike!! Please learn from my screw ups. (Side Note: Mosko Moto will be at our event. You may want to contact them a couple of months out if you’re interested in their gear) HERE IS THE BOTTOM LINE- YOU carry ALL your own gear. There will be no Sherpas available to carry your gear. For Gods sake Ewan only had a tank bag and did the Road of Bones! on a BMW too!

Caution and disclosure: Nekid folks occupy the Springs. Not I as you will be punished enough just getting to Saline. Nothing lurid, just nature lovers basking in the sun, most of whom have obviously been at the springs since the 1960s.

Please fell free to ask questions, provide answers, post 'how to' vids, etc.

Sign-ups: Sign up will be posted closer to the date.
    NOTE: last year it rained at the time this ride was scheduled to take place. Due to the ' noobness' intent of this ride, as Rideleader, i cancelled the ride. This year this ride will happen come Hell or High water. In all seriousness...this is a desert wilderness and on any ride you can get dead. Flash floods, wind, snakes, gravity, desert giants all will cause you harm. Keep this in mind when you choose to make this ride.
    Mr Head, BStokes, SMURPH and 6 others like this.
  12. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Okay n00bs,
    I'll be posting weather and road conditions as time gets close.
    I also will be posting information for Bay Area n00bs who wish to cooridinate rides and transportation to PSR.
    I can also try and answer lots of your questions about DV n00bs. PMs welcome

- Marty

And, of course, I'm in, tenting it, spot #28 please.

IMG_5849.JPG
    ACR, SFMCjohn, Mr Head and 1 other person like this.
  13. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh look, the Noobs are at it again !

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Photo Credits: Jamin Mathis

[​IMG]
    Run what you brung.
    photo: H8Chains (Joel)
    Tallbastid, dunerat, Nowwhat and 2 others like this.
  14. Folgore

Folgore Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lake Oswego OR, but would rather be in Baja!
    IMG_5865.JPG IMG_5870.JPG IMG_5994.JPG Folgore and his boys are in (and hopefully the Duc's electrical will stay in tact this time)!
    Matt fe2o3 and NSFW like this.
  15. NSFW

Oddometer:
    FOLKS.....for now not much info on this page.

we will update them later and as needed.

this is the only page you need to go for info and latest update.
  16. NSFW

Oddometer:
    i will be posting links to the previous ride reports here to inspire and motivate you to join.
  17. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer:
    IN!

Pcfly. TCCCM + D3

Motel #14
    Pcfly,
    John,
    Ken,
    David

Motel;
    Don
    Don’s Brother John
    Don’s Dad (Bionic Man)

Cabin or Motel;
    Monte
    Kaze

Cabin;
    Jimmy
    Carter
    trailjammer likes this.
  18. Davethestick

Davethestick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IN!!!
    Team Vegas and HBSURFDAD like this.
  19. Sfcootz

Sfcootz Proud to be a 0.6106142755%er Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Oh man, the 28th is the day I get back from Oz. Anyone wanna pick me up at LAX and bring me here? :lol3

EDIT: In, will need space to park a van. My buddy @tag3 said he'd pick me up from LAX so I can go straight from Melbourne to Noobs. :happay
  20. HBSURFDAD

HBSURFDAD Oops, Sorry Supporter

Oddometer:
    In, cabin please.