2019 Easter ride around NSW Aus.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by mrsdnf, May 11, 2019.

1. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    3 Days off on annual leave makes ten days in total to escape the Suburban lights.
    With the bike packed and a rough idea on where 10 days were going to be spent the bike and I left the suburban lights of Melbourne after work on a Thursday night for a sleepover at Mum and Dads in Bendigo.
    With an early start Friday morning Broken Hill beckoned in the distance. Dry dams and skinny sheep were the high light of the ride to Mildura. The furrows in the ground from the ploughs were that straight I thought the only way for this to happen would be from GPS steered tractors.
    The fuel stop between Mildura and Broken hill has long been closed leaving this the only option for fuel.
    [​IMG]

The display from the welcoming party of Flies was first class.
    [​IMG]

Accommodation for my two night stay at Broken Hill. It was old, every floor board creaked but the place was spotlessly clean. Nothing like an old Peppercorn tree for a bit of shade.
    [​IMG]

One big mullock heap with the miners memorial at the top left.
    [​IMG]

The miners memorial is record of the miners that died on the job. One cant help but think there were a lot more than what was documented here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A grand view from the memorial.
    [​IMG]

The night life entertainment was spectacular with a light and movie show being shone on the old council building.
    [​IMG]

A visit to Broken Hill would not be complete without a visit to this Aussie legends home which is now a museum/shop/memorial of Pro Hart.
    [​IMG]

A short ride out to Silverton where Mad Max two was filmed.
    [​IMG]

Looking back at the pub.
    [​IMG]

And inside the pub. The Bangers and Mash come highly recommended by me. :1drink
    [​IMG]

An old building that one can only wonder how hard it was to live out here in another era and how grand this building would have been.
    [​IMG]

Trips to old cemetery's can tell stories themselves. It appears there is a family resting here.
    [​IMG]

A ride to the SA border. The road lazily meanders through the dry country side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An early ice cream was beckoning but the freezer was empty. The coffee was second choice but first class.
    Talking to the young couple here they have only just opened the bar up as it had been closed. No fuel was available.
    [​IMG]

Leaving Broken Hill the next stop for fuel was Wilcannia. As the SD was fussy and liked to run on Premium unleaded the BP which was hidden out of sight down the back streets was the place to go.
    Heading out of town heading for our next overnight stop at Tilpa we were greeted with this.

[​IMG]

Mud flats from the Darling river for as far as one could see. The SD handled superbly on the different dirt road surfaces. From the rough corrugations to the loose soft dirt it never once gave me a moment to be alarmed. The first warning sign I read was for bulldust. It was around 8 inches deep and had a bottom that did not allow the wheels to go where I was directing. Lucky for me I was travelling at walking pace.
    [​IMG]
    DavAmb, Suncoaster and Bounty1 like this.
  2. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    With the bike unloaded into the basic but clean accommodation a chicken schnitzel burger was quickly demolished.
    I'd been checking the weather forecast for a couple of days and rain was supposed to be coming.
    Long story short, the bike was packed and Tilpa was left behind in a cloud of dust with Bourke on my radar.
    Louth was closed when I passed through. Shindys pub.
    [​IMG]

And a picture from the Bridge at Louth showed a very lonely houseboat long ago left high and dry in the Darling River.
    I never realised how big this river was until I'd viewed it at Tilpa.
    [​IMG]

Where I've been and where I'm heading.
    [​IMG]

I've got into the habit over the years travelling around to wash my clothes every night.
    Being an early riser and my clothes still damp I went for a walk to dry them off while waiting for the sun to rise before heading off.
    A view from the wharf where the water is along way down.
    [​IMG]

While on the wharf a drop of rain was felt. This drop rapidly turned my now dry clothes into water logged clothes.
    [​IMG]

The reason for not riding at night is because of the Roos. There were lots of places where you could not walk on the side of the road without standing on a dead Roo.
    Some roads were literally riddled with fresh kills from the night before.
    Next stop was Goondiwindi for the night.
    A long ago closed down bridge across the Barwin river at Brewarrina.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I decided after leaving Gondiwindi to follow some back roads in QLD to Lismore.
    [​IMG]

This was one of those it doesn't get any better than that moments. The windy back roads were superb.
    [​IMG]

Wild life was varied. Emus and goats were in abundance. Goats appeared to be in plague proportions in the drier areas and were thriving where nothing else was seen to be living.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A long disused broken down rail bridge just out of Tenterfield.
    [​IMG]

Nothing like an old cockies public museum on the side of the road.
    [​IMG]

After a few nights at the brother in laws family home at Lismore it was deemed a two day ride home through Bathurst would be the end of the ride.
    The road from Muswellbrook to Bathurst was brilliant. This road is super twisty and crosses a few mountain ranges with steep climbs and descents. The bitumen surface in a lot of places was terrible but the SD handled it all without fuss.
    I've watched every Bathurst car race for as long as I can remember and driven around the track a couple of times at a sedate pace.
    It blows me away every time at just how different the track is compared to what it appears on the idiot box.
    Tight, narrow and steep.
    [​IMG]

Total mileage was 4500 km.
    Total fuel used was 215 Lts.
    Fuel consumption 20.93 Km/L.

Right hand pannier carried tools, lock and 5 litres fuel.
    Left hand pannier had clothes.
    Bags at front had 2 lts fuel one side and other had camera, lens cleaner, sunnies and anything I wanted to get to quickly.
    Roll bag had milk, food (need my Weet-Bix), toilet bag and lots of other stuff.

Worst moment was when my helmet got run over by a Land Cruiser in a servo at Lismore. Best part was buying a new helmet as the old visor was scratched and impossible to see through with the sun shining through it. Visor for this good but old helmet was no longer available. The minister of finances could not say no to a new helmet then.

Thanks for reading and hope you enjoy the story. I enjoyed the ride.
    DavAmb and Suncoaster like this.
  3. Suncoaster

Suncoaster Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where the girls are green and the grass is pretty.
    4,500 km, that's an epic ride !
    How was the seat and ergonomics on the SWM ?

... and are those handmade custom driving lights ? :-)
  4. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Suncoaster. The driving lights were a Jaycar runout. The old style MTG2 leds inside. The seat was cut back to allow a little more wiggle room and a small Airhawk air seat pad used. Bum was glad to get home as the last two days were the longest in the saddle.
    Suncoaster likes this.
  5. BSTT

BSTT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for writing everything down!
    Will be interesting to see, if SWM can sell enough bikes. For sure an interesting alternative to the Japs and Austrians.

Ciao Gero
  6. DavAmb

DavAmb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice one Moose! Great report, great ride!
  7. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the vote of confidence guys. English may be the only language I know but I'm not the best at it. :wink:
  8. pfabrice

pfabrice The Fabulous Frog

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great trip mrsdnf, thanks for spending the time to put it on this site.:-)
    Suncoaster and yokesman like this.