2019 Electra glide standard

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by chickenhawk71, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Traxx

Traxx Taxation is Theft Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ll be rocking the full face tomorrow. I want to see if it vents well, if there is buffeting and the noise levels.
    Been more than once that I watched a huge bug splat on the face shield and glad I didn’t feel a thing.
    StittWall likes this.
  2. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a new set of fairing mounted mirrors somewhere if you're interested.
    Traxx likes this.
  3. Traxx

Oddometer:
    PM inbound.

Got in a couple hundred miles on the police seat. It certainly smoothed out the bumps, but I am going to have to move around in the saddle more.
    Wind blast is increased as expected, good is I am getting more air, bad I am getting a high frequency buffeting and wind roar. Klim TK1200. Going to be looking at a new windscreen tomorrow when I go in for the 1K service.
    Not sure about the bars, maybe I can adjust them up a little. Might just take some time to get used to the new riding position. If I do like the instructor said and get my nuts on the tank then it won't be a problem, its when I am scooted back in the seat.
    I may take some of the preload out of the shock to see how that rolls. I hit a couple nice bumps and don't see any marks from the rubber bump stops.
    The Electra Glide DOES NOT like wet grass.
    Kevm likes this.
  4. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I took some preload out of mine after adding it earlier, and I like it better with more sag. There's hardly any travel, the bump stops will hit first, so the shock is mainly there for absorbing the smaller bumps/vibrations anyway.

The police EGs come with taller bars, I believe, so I can see the stock bars being too low. You can roll them forward which will help, but you'll likely need to go to taller bars. Not necessarily above the fairing tall, but probably somewhere near the top of it. When you do that, you can get the fairing mirror lowering brackets that KST Kustoms sells and that would probably be a good setup with that seat.
    Traxx likes this.
  5. Laconic

Laconic Disenfranchised

Oddometer:
    :lol3

I found that out.
    Traxx likes this.
  6. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    Funny I just added some preload and it's probably adjusted right but I'm sitting even higher and starting to wonder what it would take to lower the shock mount and cut down the bumpers to match?
    Traxx likes this.
  7. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't tell any difference in ride height between enough preload to where it's rigid, and where it is now which lets it sag a bit when I sit on it. Can't be more than 1/2", can it?
    Traxx likes this.
  8. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I run a Kong dog toy in place of the spring thang. Has some give and damps surprisingly well. Mine's a Kong Extreme and is black.

Chuck Pryce and Traxx like this.
  9. Traxx

Oddometer:
    Yep, was going around the barn so that I could be pointed uphill under the leanto. The grass was still dewy and when I was making my last turn, the rear decided to slip out and almost ran into the trailer.
    Can’t tell my Wife, she already don’t like me going out there alone. Cellular is pretty spotty and I don’t always let anyone know I am going. Then she says mean things to me.

So tomorrow I will be putting my hands on some parts while I am waiting on the service.
    On the short list is a windscreen and maybe handlebars and extension kit if needed.
    Laconic likes this.
  10. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Before you buy a windshield take a look at this. Very effective at a fraction of the cost.
    Traxx likes this.
  11. Crocodile Tears

Crocodile Tears Powerful Truth Angels Supporter

Oddometer:
    Made a big difference on my quarter fairing I had on my old Lowrider. Made the interstate significantly quieter. Wasn't mad about the install though, and had an instance of the thing coming loose on one side going about 90 down the interstate. The adhesive cut loose before the Velcro.

And yes, I did a thorough cleaning on the fairing :lol3 May have just put it in a bad spot.
    Traxx likes this.
  12. Traxx

Oddometer:
    I ran one on a F800GS and it did help some. But I will be going a cleaner route.
  13. Jed Clampett

Jed Clampett Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know you guys love your police seats. I probably would have tried one in the future. But all the talk of new bars, sag, windshield replacement, mirrors, and kongs, has spoiled me on the idea. My stock replacement "Limited" seat and backrest just got to feeling extremely good.
    Traxx likes this.
  14. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    I can't imagine I would have bothered to seek out and install the Police seat. Hell I was PLANNING on replacing it until I rode the bike home.

I didn't HAVE to change anything since it was a police model. The stock windshield provided decent coverage. (Edit-hell in retrospect had I changed it the bars would have been too high and I would have probably had to change them too).

I changed the windshield for something that was shorter but still worked as well, had a vent, and lastly was tinted which long term does a much better job hiding bug guts.

I haven't changed anything else with regards to ergos and don't really plan too.

The only real downside of the Police seat (to me) is caused by the same thing that contributes to the upside; the height.

The height helps with comfort, with sight lines, probably benefits both handling and conspicuity, but it does add to how you feel the weight. It makes it top heavy those few moments each day you push it around delivery the saddle. That's it, that's the only negative to me.

A few here say the seat locks you in and you can't move around. That's not entirely untrue. It's comfortable enough that even on my marathon days I'm not uncomfortable. I do move my legs around a good bit on the floorboards but I'm not really shifting in the saddle.

But most of this stuff is super subjective anyway.
    Jed Clampett and Traxx like this.
  15. Traxx

Oddometer:
    You have a point there Jed. It is growing in to a pain in the ass.
    Jed Clampett likes this.
  16. BarKnee

BarKnee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh. the irony:lol3
    Traxx and Jed Clampett like this.
  17. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have gone back and forth between both seats. (both came with my bike)
    I put the standard seat back on when my wife was going to have to ride back from Houston on the bike, since I wasn't sure the passenger seat I had, would work well with the police seat and I didn't want to buy anything since she does not like to ride as a passenger (she has her ninja) and I don't think it would be worth the money for the 1 time a year she might be on the back.
    The bars that came on the bike are wonkey with either seat, so I need to address that at some point.
    I think all of the accessories seem to work better with the standard seat and I keep toying with a heated seat for the winter cause I occasionally see them cheap used.
    That being said, the police seat moves me up and forward just enough that I can more easily move my weight to the floor boards. It is not a huge difference, but it does allow me to move my body weight a bit easier.
    Traxx and Jed Clampett like this.
  18. Laconic

Laconic Disenfranchised

Oddometer:
    Go Russell Day Long or go home. Pricey but the best money I ever spent on a motorcycle accessory. I have almost talked myself into another one for my S10 because the stock and Sargent seats I have ain't worth a pinch. I have done a couple 700+ mile days on one and my butt was the last thing on my mind.

https://day-long.com/
    Traxx and StittWall like this.
  19. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of my big concerns with getting a Street Glide or other batwing fairing bike and putting a police seat on it was the handlebar situation. This was before I knew that a real FLHTP had a little higher handlebars. I thought the bars on the standard Street Glide with stock seat were already low; they'd be ridiculously low for me with the cop seat. The Road King, on the other hand, already had the heritage style bars on it that the cop Road King came with, so I knew it would be better. And then there was the whole changing bars on a fairing bike. Looked like a pain.

That said, after having changed bars on my RK, and watched many videos of changing bars on a batwing fairing bike, I don't think it would bother me now. The Electra Glide bar change is certainly more involved than the Road King, but the concepts are the same, it's just a few extra steps to get the fairing out of the way.

If you like the cop seat and think the bars need to go up, I'd contact KST and see what they recommend. 10" bars will put your hands right near the top of the fairing, so you still get protection. Your stem mirrors should then work fine as well.

Taller bars will change the way you sit in the seat and the pressure points. I think the 14" bars on my Road King actually improved the cop seat comfort for me. It took away a pressure point that had been bothering me sometimes on longer rides.
    Traxx likes this.
  20. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    i think mine are 16" bars and I want them much lower, even with the police seat. I think I would prefer stock bars with the police seat. The current bars give me tyrannosaurus arms. If I rotate them forward they run into the windsheild and put my wrists at a funky angle. What height are the stock bars? I am thinking 8" would be right.
    Traxx likes this.