2019 Electra glide standard

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by chickenhawk71, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Traxx

Traxx Taxation is Theft Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually that is good, I was wearing my lee parks lined gauntlets. Pulled out the heavier Rev-it gauntlets when I got home. They are just a pain to put on with the double liner gauntlet. I was just doing some grocery getten and didn’t want to go full electric.
    TurkeyRun likes this.
  2. Jed Clampett

Jed Clampett Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    For the bike: lowers and detachable tour pak to hold all my cold weather gear.

For me:
    layers...including glove liners. On really cold days, Gerbing electric jacket liner under a hoodie..under my leather jacket.
    Always carry my rain gear, which can be worn over all that as an extra layer of protection.

We've had a terrible ice storm this week. The good thing is it has turned to rain which will clear the roads of salt and let me ride this weekend.
    Traxx likes this.
  3. Traxx

Oddometer:
    I have been using LD comfort as a base layer then Kevlar jeans, thermal pull over and then Jacket with liner and Klim overpants. Boots and smart wool socks. LeeParks gauntlets.
    I haven’t done anything to the bike yet. But the soft lowers are on the list of to dos.
    AZbiker and Jed Clampett like this.
  4. StittWall

StittWall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Soft lowers make a huge difference, best part, they can remove quickly and stow in saddlebags when not wanted.
    rauchman, TurkeyRun and Traxx like this.
  5. rauchman

rauchman Long timer

Oddometer:
    How are these when running at elevated highway speeds? Like the idea of these. Any pitfalls?
    Traxx likes this.
  6. StittWall

StittWall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the HD nylon ones on my Road glide and Desert Dawgs for my Electra glide, obviously, they are interchangeable. I find them great at highway speed , for me they decrease buffetting, I do remove them in warmer weather, I like airflow.
    rauchman, MariusD and Traxx like this.
  7. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    For me, on the Road King, they increased buffeting. I tried them with different helmets, different riding gear, different height screens, different seat (lower standard style seat, and with the police seat), still buffeting. The only thing I didn't try was removing the fangs, which I may try later because the soft lowers do make a significant difference on air going to your feet and lower legs, and it would be nice to run them once the weather gets consistently cold/nasty around here.

But as evidenced by others who have posted in this and other threads, that's not everyone's experience. So I'm not sure what the deal is.
    Samspade and Traxx like this.
  8. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I go heated gloves once the temp drops below 55 and I'm going to be on the bike for more than an hour. I'm a sissy when it comes to warm hands, and no gloves other than heated gloves thus far have been able to keep my hands from freezing after an hour in the wind at 55 or below.

The problem with my Road King is there is nothing to block the wind to your hands. I don't really want to put hand guards on the bike, but I have thought about trying something like Hippo Hands when it gets really cold. Yeah, that would look funny on a Road King, but I already am wearing a Roadcrafter so it's kind of a moot point.

I'm not sure which Hippo Hands would work yet, though. Best part about the Hippo Hands over hand guards is that they are easily removable and stowable on the bike.
    Traxx likes this.
  9. Traxx

Oddometer:
    The heated gloves are they battery or wired?
  10. jersey jim

jersey jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    My limited has heated grips, down into the 40's I've been fine with unlined leather gloves and the heated grips, my hands are behind the batwing though.
    I generally don't ride in temps below that.

I highly recommend the heated grips, I'm sure they can be added to any touring bike.

I have had a set of HD insulated gauntlet gloves for decades, they have been my go to cold weather gloves on all my other bikes.
    Traxx likes this.
  11. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wired, connected to a jacket liner, controlled by a variable heat troller.
    Firstgear stuff, made by Warm 'n Safe
    Traxx likes this.
  12. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your deal is you are on a road king and we are on batwing bikes. Very different airflow on those two when you compare a barn door shield and an actual batwing fairing which at least attempts to route the airflow around you.
    AZbiker, Hammerdown77 and Traxx like this.
  13. Traxx

Oddometer:
    Ordered some Desert Dawgs this morning.
    StittWall and Jed Clampett like this.
  14. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had soft lowers on my '18 Heritage Classic and was very happy with them. They did everything they were supposed to do without any drama.
    Traxx likes this.
  15. TurkeyRun

TurkeyRun Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hahaha

True
    Traxx likes this.
  16. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    True.
    The Road King is about as aerodynamic as a vending machine.

I put the soft lowers on yesterday and did some riding with 'em. Seems to be less buffeting than I remember. Still have the fangs on. Not sure what the difference is, although I have my taller 21" cop windshield on the bike now and maybe I incorrectly remembered testing with it before. Dunno. Oh, taller, slightly wider handlebars. That might change something.

Interestingly, ducking down fully behind the shield (I'm on a police seat, and tall, so I'm still above even the tall sheild) had zero change on what buffeting there was. So it's definitely coming from below and around the sides of the shield.

The soft lowers make a huge difference on felt wind pressure on your legs. It's actually less fatiguing at highway speeds, because moving your feet around on the boards is a lot easier. And of course it's not as cold on your feets when the temp drops.
    Thinking more about getting hard lowers now for long trips...
    MariusD and Traxx like this.
  17. Traxx

Oddometer:
    Some good points, I’ll see when I get my soft lowers.
    A buddy of mine has a trike with the hard lowers and complains about heat on his right foot. Even put a 1” extension on the floorboards. I have never had any issues with heat, granted I did come off of Triumph Tiger and Trophy SE that definitely can cook your balls, lower legs and feet.
  18. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only heat I can feel on these bikes is coming from the catalytic converter under my right thigh/butt. I mean, unless you're sitting at a stoplight idling with your foot up against the engine.
    My 96 Twin Cam was the same way. Although it seemed worse.

I can't tell any difference running the soft lowers, although if I'm running the soft lowers it's because it's cool/cold, and I likely have on my Roadcrafter + jeans, so you're not going to feel much change through that.
    Traxx likes this.
  19. Traxx

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I don’t get it but I hate to dismiss it. He is planning on some expensive mods. Oil cooler etc.... But if the heat is coming off of the exhaust then will that really help.
  20. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    New exhaust that removes/moves the converter, re-program fuel map/engine mgmt. Problem solved.
    Traxx likes this.