2019 Electra glide standard

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by chickenhawk71, Mar 4, 2019.

1. jersey jim

jersey jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    My '13 had the cat in the headpipe right next to my foot, a long one day ride home from TN in 95-100 degree heat made me decide that it had to go. I'm happy I did it, but it got expensive.... Fuel Moto headpipe and Powervision went on. The cheap slip-on mufflers that sounded just right with the cat were much too loud and sounded like crap. Tried the stock mufflers, sounded like crap (weird drone at cruising speeds). On went V&H Monster Rounds, much better, nice tone and not too loud. But that was over $1600 in parts like 6 years ago, probably more now. Still, bike now runs cool, sounds good, maybe it's got a tad more pep. Maybe not. Some mid-range torque cams and a proper dyno tune are probably coming in the near future. The Powervision autotune is ok, but I feel like there is more to be had.
    Traxx likes this.
  2. Traxx

Traxx Taxation is Theft Supporter

Oddometer:
    Electra Glide Standard ADV bike.
    72BBAF0E-A593-4934-851F-8C9B7A385D74.jpeg
  3. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How are you liking the Tall Boy handlebars?
    Traxx likes this.
  4. Traxx

Oddometer:
    My hands are still behind the fairing, and I am not leaned over so much with the police seat installed. I haven’t tried it yet with the stock seat. Maybe I will do that after I change the oil tomorrow.
    Thinking about another inch in suspension in the rear. HD stocker 13” is around $550 and up from there for aftermarket. Not really interested in sporty handling just comfort on the shitty roads and some adjustability.
  5. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am going with Ohlins on the rear, just need to get off the wallet.

I wouldn't bother with the H-D 13" unless they were $200 or less. Even then, I'd just save for Ohlins.
    MariusD and Traxx like this.
  6. TALLGUY

TALLGUY Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or progressive, or legend. Then comes the front or maybe the new fronts are good stock?
    AZbiker and Traxx like this.
  7. Traxx

Oddometer:
    I am in spec shock.....Fox, Legend, Pro Action, Ohlins, progressive, etc.....
    Kevm and AZbiker like this.
  8. AZbiker

AZbiker Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer:
    I've heard Hagons are a pretty good value too.
    Traxx likes this.
  9. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the Electra Glide Standard the fronts are awful stock. I did legends front and rear and it's a huge improvement, although the front still feels a bit on the stiff side. Not sure where my dealer set The setting on the fronts, but legend recommended several thousand miles to brake in, so ill put some miles on it and we'll see. The bike handles a lot better, feels much more agile and composed and puts the stock suspension to shame honestly.
    Traxx likes this.
  10. Traxx

Oddometer:
    Well, you are on some rough roads, what about I-10 towards Lafayette? 90 between Lafayette and Morgan City?
    She handles well enough as is within the speed limit, its the long distance over shit roads.
  11. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The new Showa bending valve forks are much better than what used to come on the bikes, but I reckon they're still not as good as one of the cartridge kits from Ohlins. I don't know that I'd call them "awful", although they are definitely not as good over sharp impacts as, say, the stock suspension on my 2016 R1200 GS.

By all accounts the biggest improvement initially comes from replacing the rear shocks, especially if you have the 12" stockers.

This "base" shock from Ohlins for the touring bikes, $650, seems like a really good deal and the only reason I haven't bought them yet is because I'm trying to decide if I wanna step up to the next level ($$$) and get adjustable damping...
    https://www.ohlinsusa.com/parts/199...n-ultra-classic-harley-s36-twin-shocks-hd-022
    MariusD and Traxx like this.
  12. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    As to the muffler/cat replacement. When I had my 2011 RK I just bought a pair of stock take off mufflers from an 2009 (I think). It bolted right on and had no cat. No remap and it cut down the heat a little without the obnoxious extra noise that a lot of aftermarket pipe offer. IIRC, all of the EVO pipes are interchangeable by model and the OEM pipes didn't get cats until somewhere around 2010. Just a thought.

Also, I second the notion that the rear shocks make a huge difference going from 12" to 13". Not only better ride, but I think better handling. To me that extra inch of lower the back end changed the handling characteristics to the negative for whatever reason(s). Not to mention what that extra inch adds in terms of shock absorption.
    Traxx likes this.
  13. Traxx

Oddometer:
    Changed the oil today and swapped the stock seat back in. Was planning on a wash n wax, just didn’t get around to that.
    So in the morning I’ll get the cleaning done and then hit up Lonestar for a solo tour pack mount. Maybe go for a Birthday ride.
    MariusD likes this.
  14. Jed Clampett

Jed Clampett Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Happy B-day!
    Wattner and Traxx like this.
  15. Traxx

Oddometer:
    Thanks, they seem to come quicker now.
  16. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah man, Happy Birthday!
    Traxx likes this.
  17. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're absolutely right that "awful" is a relative term, so for reference, if youve ever ridden an indian chieftain, then most likely you know what I mean. The chieftain eats the road instead of making your shoulders, butt and back do it, and still somehow manages to handle very well. Having said that, legend suspension really has transformed the EGS. I never imagined I would be throwing around a batting bike like I do this one with this new suspension setup. The difference is night and day.

Which brings me to another point: spend the money on adjustables. Do it once and do it right. That's the only way to get 100% out of the riding experience this bike can deliver. It just needs to be setup right. You won't regret it.
  18. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha! Seems you know the roads around here, and yes, they are all bad. Especially that stretch of 90 you mention.

I bought this bike primarily cuz I wanted to try an HD and I bought the batwing because my riding style is to get lost for hours and several hundred miles. I assumed the touring platform would be setup for this out of the box, but to my disappointment the suspension is severely lacking. I guess the EGS is kind of an odd ball with the 12in rear shocks, and so maybe HD didn't really intend for it to be what I assumed it was. Either way, after spending a bunch of money on a stage 3 big bore kit (107- to -114ci) and and the legend suspension, I really can't get enough of this bike. It's just completely different bike and a pure riot to ride now.

Oh, and happy birthday bud!
    Traxx likes this.
  19. Traxx

Oddometer:
    Sweet, Marius can you tell me more about the legends suspension?
    I am originally from N. La and have lived in Lafayette for a short time as a teen and then have worked offshore since 98. I guess you can say I have run the major roads down there quite a bit.
    Even on past Triumphs (Tiger XRX and TrophySE) I have had to be careful on 90. Easy to bottom out the suspension there.

Thanks for the B-day wishes.
  20. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh wow, that's cool. I really want to do some more riding on the central/west side of the state and get some good boudin (LOVE THAT STUFF!). If you got any suggestions for good routes through the area, I would appreciate it.

As for Legend suspension, I will try to give you an idea best I can. Simply put, as soon as I pulled away from the dealership after having them installed, the bike felt much more together, composed and just felt "right". The first ripple in the road that I hit told me the suspension was doing a better job taking the "edge" off as well. The bike just feels planted, glued to the road, and can carve through traffic with confidence and precision. I remember thinking: why doesn't it come like this OOTB for a 20k bike?! That actually made me a little annoyed at HD frankly...

My only gripe so far is I feel like the front is still a little stiff on impact of road imperfections. Legend said several thousand miles to brake in usually smoothed things out, but I also didn't tell the dealer a specific setting to set the fronts to, and now know that for a 180lb solo rider, you need to be at the softest setting in the front. My rears are the revo-a version, which I can adjust the firmness on if I need, but the dealer did dial it in already upon install for a rider my weight by setting the sag according to instructions. The rear feels perfectly fine to me.

Overall, absolutely worth it! Like I said before, it's night and day in how the bike handles. You won't believe how aggressively you can ride this fat bagger with quality suspension. Legend specifically is considered to be a more touring focused suspension. If you want even better for spirited riding you might look at Ohlins or RDW are both super well regarded. I also absolutely think that the adjustable versions of whatever suspension you get are worth the extra. Everyone is different weight and even guys at the same weight have different personal preferences for suspension stiffness. Getting the right setup that you can dial in for your preference is the only way to get the most out of your bike and your riding experience.

Sorry that got long. Hope this helps.