2019 Electra glide standard

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by chickenhawk71, Mar 4, 2019.

1. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    sigh.

I mean, it's literally their job to know this shit. You or I don't work as an HD salesperson and we know about the bike. Sad state of affairs when you hire salespeople who don't give a shit about their own products.
    SmittyBlackstone and Mattbastard like this.
  2. Redrock54

Redrock54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought new Electra Glide Standard back in 2000. Put over 40000 miles on it with out any problems.
    Bill C, Richy, Oilhed and 2 others like this.
  3. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I wasn't nearly as impressed with the Sport Glide as I thought I would be. It's certainly no touring bike, even if you put all the extra farkles on it. It handles well, but I wouldn't want to sit for 6+ hours on it. The bags will basically only carry what you could put in a decent sized tank bag. The fairing doesn't really do much except create a bunch of noise and turbulence. The seat is really low, and combined with the forwards, feels like you've sat in a bucket that just collapsed.

For a real touring bike, one that is comfortable to take trips on, I'd much rather have the touring chassis with proper rear shocks and a real seat, not a low solo styling exercise.
    Pabst, Traxx and btl68 like this.
  4. Cactus67

Cactus67 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah the forward controls was a strange choice on the Sport Glide. I prefer the almost-mids of the low rider and street bob.

If the new touring chassis is as much of a handling improvement as the Softail frame was over the Dyna, then that’s something to look forward to.

I think Matt Laidlaw said 2020 isn’t happening, so maybe a new touring frame in 2021?
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  5. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wasn’t there a new touring frame just a few years ago. Are they doing a ground up, maybe mono shock?
  6. shupe

shupe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Or getting rid of the rubber mounts (not needed with the counterbalancers)?
    That could get some weight off.
  7. CdnGS

CdnGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    New frame was 2009 I believe, so ten years ago.
  8. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure if the majority of big Harley buyers are ready for that. Word is they were able to neutralize all the shaking but the focus group didn’t like it.

Wow, time flies. Evo, Twin Cam, Rushmore- it all seems like a few years ago.
    SmittyBlackstone and Richy like this.
  9. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's about 2000miles a year - should hold up.
    Crocodile Tears likes this.
  10. Crocodile Tears

Crocodile Tears Powerful Truth Angels Supporter

Oddometer:
    Local dealer has one - they took me in the back to check it out, it will be fully prepped and on the floor tomorrow.

It's a nice looking unit. I don't care for the tank graphic in photos, but it looks better in person.

Definitely a stripped bike - the inner fairing looks a little goofy with nothing painted and the open compartment, but all wiring is still included to add if you so desired. I still don't have an answer wether the connections are proprietary or not.

The primary and rocker box covers are not chrome - just polished. Looks a little odd next to the chrome hardware.

Short shocks - it's a low bike, and the solo saddle helps that even more. Obviously has the chrome crash bar - wish the standard Road King bag protection was included.

Overall, it looks promising. A couple choices I question, but it's clearly built for a guy who wants to go his own direction. I don't know what the market on these will end up being - 19k is not horrible, but I wouldn't be surprised if standard street Glides sell closer to that given the popularity of the special. If they become dealership boat anchors and they get down more in the 17ish range I'd likely jump at it. If they held firm at 19, I'd probably try to bargain down a street or road glide closer to the number.

I'll ride one soon enough - I think I'm still on team Road King if I get a touring bike, but the potential in this thing is there.
  11. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I already have the parts list I would want to add to the bike, so maybe at msrp those additional parts could be bargained for? Last time I dealt with an HD dealer was over 10 years ago, and at that time, they stuck to MSRP and all their crazy add on fees, which turned 18k bikes into 24k bikes OTD. For that reason I never bought one back then, but I hear now they are a little more sensible about their pricing and dealing. I think i'd bite if they gave me $1500 worth of parts to go with the bike for that 19k, before tt&l. You figure they have at least double the markup on those parts anyway.
  12. Crocodile Tears

Oddometer:
    The numbers are our there - the invoice on much of the stuff is generally 2500 under MSRP. I don't try to dick over dealers too hard - they need to make a couple bucks too - but they certainly do need to come down a chunk in the current environment, especially with the flagging sales. I'm 30, so I'm kind of the target market, and am hoping that helps going into the next couple months.

I dig the Roadster, but I can do what I planned with just about any 3k Sportster off Craigslist. Time to step up to a more "traditional" Harley to maintain some value. I'm pretty high on a reasonably modified Lowrider, but a RK or electraglide is certainly on the table.

Or ideally, a police road king with a 107 and the tractor seat. Hopefully for cheap.
    Traxx, SmittyBlackstone and MariusD like this.
  13. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now you’re talkin. I just got one myself. Can’t wait for it to be warm enough to ride it.
    Mattbastard, Richy and MariusD like this.
  14. Crocodile Tears

Oddometer:
    What did you pick up? Carmen Electra? :dunno
  15. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope. Police Road King with a 107.
  16. Cactus67

Cactus67 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My last and only new Harley was a 1200 Sportster in 1989 when I was just a pup. That was before the current fee insanity too.

I too am kinda thinking FXLR, but this bike and the RK are also on my radar. I enjoy city riding way less than I used to, and while something from the Softail line is better around town, the touring bikes would be great outside of town.
    SmittyBlackstone and Oilhed like this.
  17. Crocodile Tears

Oddometer:
    I continue to have visions of a FXLR with a small fairing, a taller rear shock, and easy brackets with pelicans. My initial visit to the dealer today was to check out a midnight blue lowrider in person - let me tell you, midnight is right! The front fender in direct sunlight was the only hint of the true blue color. Twisted Cherry is pretty dark as well, but not to the intense degree.

If I had to pick a purely stock bike, I like the cherry. If I was to customize, I'd start with black or blue.
    Cactus67 likes this.
  18. Cogswell

Cogswell Now living the new normal.

Oddometer:
    It looks like a great base platform to make what you want out of. It would be nice to have a color choice.

Suspension/height basic upgrades could be cheaper using low mileage stock take-offs. Lots available on the forum.

Anyone know if cruise control is standard ?
  19. Crocodile Tears

Oddometer:
    Cruise is.

Full height suspension I assume is a little difficult to find considering how many models have the short springs these days. Then again, Harley touring brakes ate good enough that to dump some cash into high end suspension isn't the end of the world.
  20. dceggert

dceggert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Metro Detroit - almost like offroad riding
    Easily fixed mining eBay for Ultra Classic or Ultra Limited new shock take-offs after they put 12" shocks on theirs. You could then sell the 12" and recoup your cost. They take about 15 minutes a side to change including sipping a beer.