2019 Electra glide standard

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by chickenhawk71, Mar 4, 2019.

1. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    they have monster 18mm shock shafts and huge springs. I guarantee they’re firmer than stock

5C6A511B-EC85-4947-B82F-F4E09EEB918A.jpeg
    rauchman, Chuck Pryce, Oilhed and 3 others like this.
  2. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    New seat still working pretty good a couple hundred miles in.

I was getting some buffeting at the top of the helmet. Mind you, I prefer a naked bike, but I bought one with a batwing, so now I gotta make it work.

got online lookin at screens, $150-250, etc, not wanting to go that route til I know what I want, I hopped on eBay and found somethin interesting for $16 shipped.

B855F4E9-AB9A-4E1E-8A6E-F19E227819B3.jpeg 88CA5B2E-0C68-4497-96C2-7692869DEF52.jpeg 9808B1E0-81A2-438B-ABF9-CAE4A5171635.jpeg 33E8229A-16D2-4BD8-903C-CE4F38FA9372.jpeg

4.5” tall, little recurve, etc etc. quality is better than I’d expect for $16, but not a klockwerkes screen that’s for sure.

Jury out, took the mellow way home today vs freeway (mad traffic), but I’ll get a good idea how it is in the morning on the freeway.

Edit for links

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-5-6-7-8-...8&pageci=91ed3f04-3c59-491f-b804-7d0d045c91ed
    rauchman, Cogswell, Traxx and 2 others like this.
  3. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    My buddy used to rock a Klockwerks on his batwing. He liked it, but I hated it whenever we swapped bikes. He has longer legs and I have a longer torso, so I sit taller in the saddle. For me the buffeting was horrible.
    Traxx and villageidiot like this.
  4. RevnUp

RevnUp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Klockwerks is what has alleviated a lot of buffeting on my 2003 Electra Glide Classic--not perfect, but very helpful. However, I just put on a police seat which will raise me higher; so I'm a little concerned about Kawidad's experience . . .
    Traxx likes this.
  5. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    I’m same, Long torso, but I don’t like being fully behind a screen, I like my head in uninterrupted air.
    Traxx likes this.
  6. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So the other day I adjusted the tall boy handle bars back about 2” and swapped windscreens from the big touring to the 10” wind splitter.
    I think I will put the bars back forward. Just not as comfortable as I thought it would be.
    The windsplitter defiantly flows more air and bugs to the helmet area. Not sure how I feel about it yet.
  7. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Even on the batwing fairing bikes you still have the issue of air coming up underneath the fairing, up from the forks and alongside the tank, and causing turbulence on your helmet. They make deflectors that go on the bottom of the fairing (the Ultras come with these), and then there are the fork fangs we've often talked about.

Every batwing bike I've ridden pummeled my head with turbulent air. Same with a Road King (except for when the windscreen is removed, obviously). The Road Glide, for me, doesn't do this for some reason (or at least it's not as noticeable).

I'd recommend trying something that blocks/diverts that air coming up from underneath and around the tank.
    Traxx likes this.
  8. Traxx

Oddometer:
    You mean like this?
    35E94280-7DCE-433F-BF8D-B66B0FDB28C7.jpeg
    Kevm and Hammerdown77 like this.
  9. dceggert

dceggert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Metro Detroit - almost like offroad riding
    I ran a 10" Windsplitter on my Ultra Limited for the 2020 season and was disappointed. It seemed to cause a high frequency turbulence around my helmet causing an almost 'buzziness' above 75 MPH. For 2021 I put the stock shield back on and in tests already this season the buzziness is gone. Below 75 MPH the two shields seem to be identical.

As far as other buffeting goes I have none and I do not ride with the fangs. I do have the vent in the fairing open all the time. If I close that I get buffeting.
    Traxx likes this.
  10. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    Yeah so this little screen looks great, but it’s way worse. Will put the stock one back on today.
    Kawidad and Traxx like this.
  11. Traxx

Oddometer:
    Good point, I am not getting the same buffeting as before the fangs with the 10”. I may try the stock screen just for kicks. I have been running the 14” touring screen since I got the fangs, partly due to the cold weather. Now that it is warming up I may move things around for more air flow.
    I am at an impasse between more air and more bugs. I can see over the touring screen and not get a buggy face shield, not so much with the shorter screens.
    dceggert likes this.
  12. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    it’s probably because the shark nose is way out in front and far from flat. The new version is very vented.
    Traxx likes this.
  13. ready2ride

ready2ride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    villageidiot, dceggert and Traxx like this.
  14. Traxx

Oddometer:
    Didn’t even know they made em for HD. Cool. If you get one let us know.
  15. dceggert

dceggert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Metro Detroit - almost like offroad riding
    This was on my short list to try next. But instead of changing screens I may be changing bikes! I have an order in for a Pan America Special so if the test ride and delivery go well I will be making the change. If for some reason the deal falls through I will likely be getting a Madstad as well for the Limited. I have had feelers out to the community for a couple of years now and those that have gone with the Madstad say they are great. However, people think a lot of things they try are great especially if they spend more for them so I have always been skeptical of glowing reviews. However, in the case of the Madstad brand it appears that everyone on any bike that tries them they like the improvement. True for the calsci screens as well but the calsci is not adjustable.

The only other screen that seems to get great reviews after many other attempts is the Freedom Touring screen. It is wide like the Windsplitter but has a recurve top edge.
    Oilhed and Traxx like this.
  16. Mr Pou

Mr Pou Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Traxx likes this.
  17. ebbanflood

ebbanflood Riff Raff Supporter

Oddometer:
    I swear by this company. He asks for a few line of sight measurements and then sent the perfect height first time. You can try it and send it back for higher lower etc as many times as you need to. The shape allows the same wind protection as a shield that is 2" taller. I can clearly see over the top of mine with plenty of room to spare and there is no buffeting. He's a one man operation and his quality is awesome.

https://freedomshields.net/product/electra-glide-classic-windshield/
    Traxx, dceggert and villageidiot like this.
  18. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    was looking at those last night. I’m going to measure what I have this morning and order one from him.
    Traxx, dceggert and ebbanflood like this.
  19. ebbanflood

ebbanflood Riff Raff Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm glad to hear that. I hope that you have the same results, it's truly the best upgrade that I,ve done to mine.
    Traxx, dceggert and villageidiot like this.
  20. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    He’s also got a blem section on eBay. And the blems aren’t really visible
    Traxx and dceggert like this.