2019 Electra glide standard

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by chickenhawk71, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Geoff

Geoff Long timer

Oddometer:
    What happened to the auxiliary lights and full rider/passenger seat? Both were included on the original Standard.
    e.t. likes this.
  2. mitchxout

mitchxout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pay more, get less.
    Pabst likes this.
  3. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Curious if anyone's bought one and have some miles on them by now. Any likes/dislikes? The more I look at this bike the more I like it. Simplicity and function all in one!
  4. Trackjunkie21

Trackjunkie21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't see why they wouldn't, It's the same as a regular street glide minus the radio.
  5. rauchman

rauchman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm on a Dyna Switchback, but go into my local dealer frequently...just to see.

I sat on the EG and then immediately, sat on a standard RK. The EG felt lighter coming off the stand by a smidge. I guess without the stereo and speakers, the fairing is really a bat wing shaped windshield with pockets/compartments to add the stereo / speakers.

My Switchback came with the polished engine parts, which I've mostly switched out to chrome. I'm not a fan of the polished aluminum look, and don't like it on the EG either. If you have to have a batwing on the cheap, this fits the bill. Personally, I think the RK offers more and overall looks more finished.
    MariusD likes this.
  6. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, so glad you mentioned chrome. Right now I have a bike with a good bit of chrome on it, and given that it's 13 years old and it spends a good bit of time outside under a cover, the cheaper chrome parts are impossible to preserve without them starting to pit. The painted parts on my bike look brand new, cuz I'm always washing and waxing the bike, but I've really learned to hate the chrome.Too high maintenance...

So how are the aluminum parts holding up? Do they discolor over time or pit any way like chrome does?

Starting to think I could probably wrap the aluminum parts in flat or gloss black and that would give me the more blacked out look I like anyway.
    rauchman likes this.
  7. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also, I'm generally curious when do dealerships start to get more flexible on price on 2019s? If I can get it under MSRP and not get screwed on fees then I probably would be even more tempted.
  8. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If there's one thing H-D does better than anyone, it's paint and chrome. Chrome on H-D seems to look really good for a long time with at least some minimal maintenance (i.e. wash your bike if you've ridden it through road salt...).

My experience with aluminum vs chrome is that chrome is far easier to keep looking nice, but hard/impossible to bring back once it doesn't. Non clear-coated aluminum requires constant care, in my experience. Aluminum, if it's clear coated, is the exception and is really no different than any other painted part.

If I were you I'd powder coat the pieces you didn't like. Or you could save all that money and get a Street Glide Special for the only $10k more :D
    MariusD likes this.
  9. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's definitely encouraging that HD does chrome well and I like the idea of powedecoating the parts I don't like in aluminum. It's a lot of work, but I can do it a few parts at a time. Any idea what powder coating normally costs?

With respect to the street glide special.... I honestly just like the looks and the wheels on the Electraglide standard better, so paying 10k would be really just for the blacked out look and the 114 engine of course. Meh...
  10. Crocodile Tears

Crocodile Tears Powerful Truth Angels Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure Appleton HD up here in WI had theirs marked at 17.5 just before christmas. I rarely see the discount prices advertised online.
    MariusD likes this.
  11. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh man, if I can get it at that price in my area, I'd be freakin' tickled pink! Thanks.
  12. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We had one or two under $17k at the local dealer with some test ride miles on 'em (couple hundred if I remember). Deals on 'em will probably be available over the next couple of months due to lag in riding season and dealers wanting to get rid of leftovers.
  13. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you considered a police EG? The 2019+ bikes come standard with the 114, and have the standard height suspension and passing lamps (and other things) standard. Usually can get those for around $18k or sometimes less, depending on how motivated the dealer is to unload one.

Granted, you usually don't have a lot of color options to pick from (basically whatever the local PD in that area uses) and it's harder to just go down to a local dealer and get one unless you're near a dealer who regularly supplies police bikes for local LE.
  14. Jed Clampett

Jed Clampett Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I found one marked down for a "Saturday before Christmas only" price of $16.3k. The only one they had. It's in my garage.
    rauchman, Richy, Oilhed and 5 others like this.
  15. Jed Clampett

Jed Clampett Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It has the traditional floor boards, a fatter side wall front tire, and a real taillight. All the things I like better than a SG. I never listen to the radio in my truck, don't need or want it on the bike.
  16. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow! Do you mind sharing what other fees they might have tacked on top of that?

A local dealer has 3 2019s ... I'm betting they will want to move them before long. And if I can get the 1.9% rate then that will make for a very comfortable note on a brand new bike!
  17. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well thanks for bringing this up. I knew there was a RK police version, but didn't realize this is a thing with the EG. From what you describe that bike is setup exactly how I would want it, so it would make perfect sense to pay up a little for it. I did see just now where someone noted that the wiring is different on the police models, so upgrading them with standard EG electronics isn't really easy, but I need to research this more, because I don't think I'll care.

I would love the 114, the taller seat, and more suspension travel. Not to mention it looks like the police version comes in colors other than black, lol
  18. rauchman

rauchman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't say I've experienced pitting on the polished aluminum, but it does lose it's luster and doesn't look all that great. I use Mothers aluminum polish and some elbow grease to make it shine a bit in the beginning of the season. By the end of the season, it's back to the dull luster.
    Richy and MariusD like this.
  19. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the electronics and wiring are very different for the police models, but if you aren't going to want to install any of the H-D infotainment stuff later, it doesn't really matter. Several companies offer essentially plug and play kits for the police bikes if you want music. Other stuff like additional lighting, you may have to peruse the HD forums and get a police bike wiring schematic, but enough people have done this with these bikes I wouldn't worry about that.

Jerry Palladino talks about some of this on his YouTube channel. He recently got a new EG police and has been adding some things to it.
    MariusD likes this.
  20. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sweet thanks for your input. I will check this guy out on youtube. :beer