2019 Electra glide standard

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by chickenhawk71, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Crocodile Tears

Crocodile Tears Powerful Truth Angels Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just stopped by on my way home, confirmed 17.5 listed price, though in just bullshitting about old sportsters with a salesman I asked if they had sold many of the Electra. He said they had probably only sold one other one, and were having a hard time ditching this one.

So I’d assume someone could scoop this thing in the mid 16s. I’ve never bought from these guys, so I don’t know how much fee BS they’re going to tack on.
    MariusD likes this.
  2. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's probably highly dependent on region, as most of the model sales are. Our dealer had three at one point when they first came out and they were all gone in short order.

Best thing I've found with Harley dealer(s) is to negotiate on out the door price. Figure out what you think they bike price should be, then add in what you think reasonable "dealer fees" should be, then work from there. I've done it on bike price before and ended up getting really frustrated when I kept seeing huge fees tacked on every time the finance person printed out a new sheet for me to sign. Just get the final price in your head that you'd be ok with and pretend like the extra fees aren't there when you see them on the paperwork.

Financing rate can also be negotiated. They won't come back with the lowest rate on the first shot. They get paid extra for the amount over the rate you can actually get. Don't let them convince you only qualify for a certain rate if you know you have good credit and can get the lower special rate they are advertising.

Oh, and FYI, the whole "assembly fee" thing is a dealer add-on. H-D pays the dealers for putting the bikes together, don't let them try to convince you otherwise. It even says so on H-D's website. But again, you may be wasting your breath arguing that with some dealers.
    Traxx and MariusD like this.
  3. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    I haven't paid msrp for a new Harley since the 90's when there were waiting lists. The last two (in 07 and 17) were the most heavily discounted bought as previous year leftovers for a couple grand off msrp and very little or nothing in fees.

Can you elaborate? It sounds like you're talking about dealer prep (uncrating, installing/adjusting handlebars and the like). But that is most certainly not only real but they have separate prep manuals that cover the steps.

Whether or not that should be covered by MSRP or dealer profit is arguable. Can you point to a definitive answer on the Harley website that says it shouldn't be a separate fee?!? Or do you mean something different?
  4. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, it's #6 on the Disclaimer list for the Specs and Pricing page for each bike. There is a line that states, "Harley-Davidson reimburses dealers for performing manufacturer-specified pre-delivery inspection and setup tasks."

Years ago when I tried to buy a bike from our local dealer, before they changed owners, they wrote up the deal on a Road King and it had a $1500 dealer prep/assembly fee on it. I objected. They responded, "That's what we have to pay our techs to put the bikes together. They don't work for free." I again objected, they wouldn't budge, so I walked.

This last time I just haggled on out the door price. I chuckled when I saw nearly $1k in "dealer prep/assembly" still on the final writeup, but it was in the out the door price I agreed to so I just shrugged and happily rode off on my new motorcycle.

I object to them flatly claiming H-D doesn't pay for the prep so the customer needs to do it. That is, according to the disclaimer, false.

Either way, just wanted MariusD to know that he could point that out during negotiations, if need be.
  5. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    All this is why I’ve been buying barely used or demo bikes. No set-up, no delivery and sometimes the first service is already done. Plus being in Connecticut not paying property tax the first year is a bonus.
  6. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    Go to the HD website, look at any MSRP price, then follow the little number next to the price down to the fine print. It clearly says dealers are reimbursed for any setup incurred.
    MariusD likes this.
  7. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    Capture.JPG

Second to last sentence
    MariusD likes this.
  8. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    We get no cash for that. It's all on paper. And freight is getting to be a mother.
  9. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    Yeah so Hammer, Matt, Another? Anyone recall when that line was first added? Or has it been there since the start of the web and in the brochures before that?

I should go check a few of the old brochures.

Anyone know if another manufacturer says that?
  10. jmlmjmjm

jmlmjmjm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Read the prior sentence......yes the manufacturer pays for its prescribed set up but the dealer may think it’s not sufficient or thorough enough. Hogwash for sure but something they can say to justify additional charges.

Can’t get a big discount and not pay a hefty “prep” fee. It’s one or the other. What matters is how much is the bike with freight, prep and doc fee. Tax and license vary so much state to state asking “what’d you pay OTD” is senseless.
  11. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    There are a lot of factors, but the more popular the model, the smaller the dealer motivation for negotiation.

That said it is absolutely possible to get a big discount and not pay freight or prep, it just has to be a bike that has sat long enough.

Examples

On our 07 XL1200 it was $2k off msrp, no freight or prep because the bike was a year old, the 08's were due out and the dealer had taken a bath on their 06 BTs when the 07's had been introduced the year before (suddenly everyone wanted the new 96 and not the showroom full of 88s). So the dealer was nervously dumping all their 07 leftovers before the 08's were introduced.

My 16' TC103 FLHP sat for more than a year and the M8 was announced, so there were multiple reasons the dealer was willing to drop thousands off the price and cut freight and prep (though I did pay $100 for half of the civilian conversion - harness removal, lens swapping, reflash).

But try to the same on a new model that hasn't sat and it's much harder, not impossible, but harder.
  12. Ringosdad

Ringosdad Pennsyltucky hillbilly Supporter

Oddometer:
    :imaposerThis bike will suck off road!:rofl
    Pabst likes this.
  13. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I recall seeing another post in the last year or two where someone said it used to be on the price sheet dealers hung on bikes, down in the fine print, but I haven't been to a dealer recently that actually puts prices on bikes, not even the MSRP. I know some do, but none around here.

What they don't say is how much that compensation is. Freight is clearly listed, but not time/labor rate for the prep/assembly. And then @anotherguy is saying they don't see money for that, which is even more confusing. Do you mean that you, the actual employees don't see that money, or that the dealership itself doesn't even get it? I could see if was actually not passed on to the techs, but why would they put that in the disclaimer if even the dealership doesn't get it?

Anyway, the dealer can certainly say, "Our techs/staff do more than is required, and their time is money, so..." And that's fine. Prep fees, handling fees, doc fees, convenience fees, whatever. It's all part of the game. Gotta pay your people and the rent on that big building.

I also recall reading that H-D dealers have a good bit of margin to play with when making deals on bikes, unlike some of the Japanese manufacturer dealerships. Several thousand at least, if I recall the sheet I saw posted here or maybe on HDforums at one time.
  14. jmlmjmjm

jmlmjmjm Long timer

Oddometer:
    It could've been a 4K discount with 2K in freight and prep. Does not matter how you get to the number or how the dealer wants to present it. The selling price can be negotiated any way you desire.
  15. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    I understand what you're saying in the total paid for the bike (excluding taxes and tags) is "the price" but then it matters not that you got it for $2k under msrp if you pay $2k in fees, then you actually just got it for msrp.

Perhaps your statement that I quoted was too subjective. But I was pointing out that when historically dealers were trying to stick with msrp and add fees, it was still possible to get discounts under MSRP AND not pay any fees.

The net result being a bike well under msrp with nothing else added.

Anyway with how you were looking at it you might as well just negotiate the OTD price. Which is a legitimate technique since it's all bet net at the end.
  16. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only if you do.

Pabst, Monkeyshines and MariusD like this.
  17. Ringosdad

Ringosdad Pennsyltucky hillbilly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Funny. No mud or logs.
  18. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    S'posed to be funny.
  19. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    I think the point here is that they don't have a leg to stand on charging setup fees anymore, as long as you read the fine print.

I was tire kicking over this bike at Rossiters in Sarasota last summer and straight up told this to the guy about the Setup Fees line on the hang tag. He said, and I'm quoting, "Look, I'm not gonna argue over $300 if it means I'll get the sale".

MSRP + TT&L = honest sale for both parties. Any less and you got a deal, any more and you got screwed. Let the damn bean counters work out the details behind the numbers.
  20. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Vehicle sales is a load of shit. No reason for all the smoke and mirrors other than greed.
    Traxx, Mattbastard, Don03st and 2 others like this.