2019 Electra glide standard

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by chickenhawk71, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Ringosdad

Ringosdad Pennsyltucky hillbilly Supporter

Oddometer:
    It’s all good! It’s tough to tell humor from snarkism sometimes. Their are a lot of fragile people out there these days! I have to watch what I say more and more. Stay safe and ride hard!
  2. Cogswell

Cogswell Now living the new normal.

Oddometer:
    I was on my way to Max Patch years ago on my DR650. We were back in the forest probably 15 miles from the nearest paved road, and came upon a couple on an older Electra Glide just bumping along the road and having a blast. :clap
    marshrat and Ringosdad like this.
  3. Cogswell

Cogswell Now living the new normal.

Oddometer:
    From what I've read, Invoice on that bike is around $15.9K
    MariusD likes this.
  4. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    Yup Screenshot_20200105-082552.jpg
    rauchman and MariusD like this.
  5. Berardi3

Berardi3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    victor441, Berardi3 and MariusD like this.
  7. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
  8. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh taking me seriously is something even I rarely do. Carry on.................
  9. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    So how do you like yours so far? Have you modded anything yet, and what if any plans to you have to set it up for to your liking?

I'm gonna try to go see about making a deal on one of these this weekend, if the dealership next to my house will play ball.

Are there any "must have" accessories I should try to make part of the deal?
  10. dceggert

dceggert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Metro Detroit - almost like offroad riding
    Matt Laidlaw posted a vid on YT comparing the Street Glide, Street Glide Special, Street Glide CVO, and Electraglide Standard. He states in the vid that the EG Standard was supposed to address the criticism that "Harley's cost too much." The result was 'a few were sold and now the rest sit.' Meanwhile the Street Glide Special is selling (the best seller of this bunch of characters). I find it interesting that the Street Glide Special is almost the same price as the Ultra Limited but 'the style' apparently sells better than features.

MariusD likes this.
  11. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing this. I'm still not 100% sure I wouldn't be better off with a road king, and I definitely need to ride them both before I decide, but I guess my needs are more practical/functional and not at all focused on style. I wanna tour comfortably, and not pay for a bike full of stuff that doesn't add to that experience. The electra glide standard definitely seems to be the clean slate to build a touring rig with whatever features I actually want. Maybe what this means is buyers like me are actually in the minority.
    Traxx likes this.
  12. TurkeyRun

TurkeyRun Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    For your use as described, I’d definitely take a look at the Road King.

Disclaimer: I’ve owned 3 ElectraGlides and 4 Road Kings
  13. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh that's interesting... Care to share any more details on why? I thought the fairing would give me the best weather protection and least amount of fatigue after a long day. Is that not correct generally?
  14. TurkeyRun

TurkeyRun Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The ElectraGlides I owned had the stereo stuff so this may not apply. I like the lighter weight on the front end.

That big windshield does a pretty good job of creating a stable pocket of air. IMHO, add some zip on/off lowers, maybe “fangs” if ya need it. I really never noticed a big difference in air flow, but then - just my HO.

Yer hands may take some direct wind on the Road King, but gloves take care of that. I’ve never found it a problem.

If ya like, you can add a TourPak, and hard lowers to a Road King easy enough.

All that stuff pops off in a heartbeat (except for the “fangs”) and you got a whole different bike for the summer.

Not steering you away from the FLHT Standard, just sayin- ride both and consider the flexibility of the FLHR.
    MariusD likes this.
  15. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    The EG Standards don't sit at our shop. Haven't seen one stick around fr quite some time.
    Kevm likes this.
  16. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just remember you can put a fairing on a Road King as well. Several good options there from the aftermarket.
    MariusD likes this.
  17. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll give you my personal experience buying my Road King last year.

I went into it thinking I might want an Electra Glide instead of the Road King. I'd test ridden a Road King and a Road Glide before, but never a batwing fairing bike. I went to the dealer and took a Street Glide out for half an hour or so. Then I took a Road King out. Within the first 10 minutes on the Road King I knew I liked it better than the SG. Which was surprising, given how much I'd convinced myself I was going to get a batwing fairing bike (a police FLHTP, actually). But it was really clear after a test ride.

If I get a fairing bike next, it will be the Road Glide. I rode one of those around while the RK was in for its 1k service, and I still really like that bike and the way it handles and rides. Having the fairing sitting out a little further feels better to me, as long limbed as I am.

Test ride both and see if one really grabs you more than the other.
    Don03st and MariusD like this.
  18. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I came off a BMW K1200LT. Big fairing, radio, etc. I got a Road King (POLICE) last year and love it! The BMW could munch Highway miles all day long but I don’t do that all that often. Everything else I enjoy much more on the RK.
    MariusD likes this.
  19. Jed Clampett

Jed Clampett Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm glad everyone likes their bike, be it Road Kind or Electraglide. I owned the very first Roadking delivered to my dealer in Texas in 1994. At the time, I had turned my Classic into a Sport by taking off the fairing, rewiring, and adding the Sport windshield/speedo-tach-headlight/cluster. The only Electraglide sport with a factory wrinkled black and chrome engine I ever saw. Have had many RK's since. I bought the Standard because that's what I wanted. I like a fairing vs. a windshield at this point in my life. I could have bought a CVO, an Ultra, SG, an Indian Challenger.....anything. The Standard is what I wanted. Enjoy what you ride. I'm grateful the industry gives us a choice.
  20. Jed Clampett

Jed Clampett Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like it a lot! For a buffet free ride, I added the fork wind deflectors (fangs), lower fairing deflectors, and I also added the deflector below the lower triple tree. You'll want a different seat also. Not many miles on it yet, in fact the highway dept salted the roads last night, so I won't be riding it until a good rain. I've destroyed the finish on bikes in the past because of riding on salted roads. Keep us posted on what you do.
    MariusD likes this.