1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

2019 F 750 GS update

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Perazzi, May 7, 2019.

1. Perazzi

Perazzi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The following is offered for the individual looking – thinking about purchasing – comparing - a 2019 f 750 GS. Nothing real technical here but a few opinions this buyer might find useful. Please bear in mind – no one can choose a bike for you – what one rider likes another doesn’t. It’s ALL VERY personal. That said, here are one owner's opinions.

Personal info:

Male – 72 – 6’ – 31” inseam – 185 lbs dry. Fairly long on riding experience – maybe an advanced intermediate skill level. Hooligan days are behind me and I lean more towards the practical these days.

About the bike in no special order:

Color: Austin Gold. Many, many compliments. Glad I got it and not the white. The bike's color appears to change as the light changes.

Seat height: factory lowered. VERY reassuring at stops – both feet firmly planted.

TFT display: an absolute joy when riding (seriously) and a PIA to operate (seriously). It does exactly what you ask it to – PROVIDED you know what button or wheel to push / turn. It takes 6 separate inputs to clear the trip odometer. I finally wrote the steps on an index card in my tank bag. Works like a charm. PROVIDED…oh…I already said that. Along with all the usual, it gives you outside temps, freeze warning, low fuel warning, clock, and the list goes on and on. Consult your manual – which should be completely redone. Somewhere between shameful and pitiful. Owners deserve FAR better.

Miles to date: 2,500 – all is well. Bike is settling in nicely.

COG: Not high – but not low either. Definitely not tippy but at low speed, keep it upright or the weight will catch you out. Once underway, bike is stable – steering very precise. The bike goes where you ask it to quickly with minimal input. “Agile / responsive” would be appropriate.

Windshield: I HATE helmet shake. If you like the wind on you with no real ill affects at all – leave the factory windshield installed. I installed a fully adjustable MADSTAD windshield (my 3rd on different bikes) and wouldn’t own the bike without it. It’s that good! (For me)

MPG and range: Before purchasing I noticed this bike only having a 4 gallon tank. BMW says 55 mpg available. If your riding is more spirited – based on one bike’s results – 50+ would be realistic. If you ride more leisurely and keep your RPM’s in the 3,000 to 4,000 range @ 55 mph +/-, I can get 64 mpg – measured at the pump on my calculator. That’s a realistic 250 miles in a tank. I can stop twice in a few hours and still have at least 75 miles in reserve. That’s reasonable and comforting for local and distance riding. Cruising steadily on the BRP – my TFT has shown 70+mpg. I believe that’s possible.

Power: sharing the same engine size and torque figures close to the 850 GS – the 750 GS will deliver everything a reasonable rider will ask for – and then some! You can lift the front wheel on this bike, easily. That said, if that’s your wish bike – consider buying something else. 3rd, 4th& 5th are your workhorse gears. Lots of room between these gears takes the work out of riding. If you can handle the wind, 6th gear and 80 MPH on the slab for an extended period is easy. Best way to describe the overall feeling you get when riding this bike – composed. Maybe not as composed as a 1,200+cc cruiser but much less frantic than a high-spirited race bike. Not judging better or worse here – just saying apples and oranges. Choose what you like.

Seat: IMHO, not plush but surprisingly comfortable for 2+ hours, at least, and yes, I am a spoiled rider. YMMV.

Ergonomics: comfortable. A very nice compromise between cruiser and sport bike.

Heated grips: FANTASTIC. 3 seriously great settings. A truly nice advantage on a cold day.

Cruise control: EXCELLENT. Does exactly what’s expected. Adding or subtracting mph – very easy to operate and works in 1 mph increments with highly visible readout on TFT.

Luggage: I went with the black GS hard luggage which snaps directly onto the bike. NO luggage racks. Love that feature and they compliment the bike's appearance. Downside: they are side opening. I’ll deal with it.

Tank bag: Touratech - snaps onto the gas tank ring. It does what it needs to.

Accessories: I’ve added LED front lights, crash bars and a rear “back off” light. I especially like those PIAA front lights – and the rear light. I am seen coming – and folks really do back off behind me. They don’t like that added rear light at all! A heated jacket. Jacket cord snaps into a small, short plug next to my left leg. With the right pants, these vests / jackets will let you ride more often and in total comfort.

Electronics: 12V outlet on the dash. Cord goes into the back of my tank bag. In goes my phone – ez-pz. Ram phone mount is on the handlebar – currently empty. Aftermarket GPS? Jury is still out. Wrote about my concerns somewhere else in another thread and won’t bore you with those details here.

Summary: I thought long and hard between the 750 and 1250. I was willing to pay the cost difference but in the end I did not feel that that difference bought me $8,000 more bike. That's a compliment to the 750, not a criticism of the 1250 < which appears to be hands down more popular. I’m happy with my decision and every time I ride, I know again that I made the right choice. I’m planning my bucket list ride for September.

I probably left out something important, that’s what 72 years will do. I hope this has been helpful.

Cheers everyone.
  2. slackline

slackline Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a great review!
  3. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
    Very positive. Funny, I feel very much the same about my F700. The TFT and cruise control would be nice to have, but I can manage without them. Where the fuel up high is manageable for you, I would find the higher cog a negative. I'm roughly your size, and age, but really prefer that weight as low as possible.

Good review and happy it's working out for you.
  4. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    I really don't notice much difference in COG between my 800 & 850. My wife has said nothing about it in here switch from the G650 (single) to the 750.
    I do feel more confident and planted laying the bike over in turns though but Is it the extra weight on the front wheel or the tires?
  5. Ackie

Ackie n00b

Oddometer:
    Picking mine up on Friday! Ordered the Large windshield, Navi VI, and Vario Bags and Top Box. I really enjoyed your review!
  6. apexal

apexal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm probably going to buy the F850GS or the F750GS and either one would be regular suspension and comfort seat. I, too, am 72 yo but I'm about 5'7" tall with probably a 28 or 29" inseam. I test rode the 750 and it's more than reassuring at stops, when maneuvering, etc. Today I'm going to test ride the 850 and if it feels okay then I will buy it. My thinking is this: if I can swing my leg over it and get it off the side stand then I can ride it. I rarely use two feet at a stop....usually left foot down and right foot on the brake pedal.
    Two questions:
    1. Why did you get a low seat on what already seems like a low bike?
    2. How comfortable is the low seat? I know that you mentioned it in your review but could you please tell me a bit more?
    If the 850 proves to be too tall then I need to look at the low seat option. The standard seat on the 850 is uncomfortable in the showroom, I've had good luck with BMW comfort seats but the BMW low seats have been 15 minute seats for me. If the 850 doesn't work with any seat combination then I'll get the yellow 750.
    Oh, by the way, thanks for the excellent review. Very well written and very informative!
  7. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Regular gas, or high test. Seems silly to have so many potential RTW bikes out there that only take premium gas.
  8. Perazzi

Perazzi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Apex...

Nice to see you too are riding. I've always been very strong and athletic and I've still got most of that - but I've had 2 or 3 bikes that were top heavy and I loved the bikes but hated the tippiness. I know - lots of folks don't mind that but I do. The COG on this bike is on the higher side - hence I want both feet flat on the ground when it's needed. I too usually stop with 1 foot down. For >me< the lowered version was all +'s with 1 minus - no center stand. I can get around that.

I like my seat - but can't tell you that you will. Very personal decision. There's a seat for every a$$ and this seat is above just acceptable. It ain't a custom Russel but 2+ hours is very doable with no aggravation.

As for the 850 - it was never in the running for >me<. I wanted the street oriented bike with the ability to do some off roading which we have a lot of around here. I've no doubt - those who've bought the 850's love them. I've been back to the store and looked at every 1250 in there multiple times. ALWAYS tempted - yer Sir - but in the end - there are very few things I could do on a 1250 that I can't do on my 750. Yes, my bike is still in the "new bike" stage but I gotta tell ya, I love getting on this machine. Fast and taking my time - on and off road - it easily checks all my boxes and let's me ride where I want - the way I want. YMMV. I hope you do find the bike that works for you.

Thanks for the kind comment - glad I could help in some way.

Cheers everyone.
    PSYOP SGM likes this.
  9. apexal

apexal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for getting back to me. Well, I bought the regular suspension 850 yesterday. It will have the comfort seat even though it adds 1/2" to the seat height. But I also bought a low seat so I will have the option of either seat. I agree with what you say about height and tippiness but for now I don't feel it when using one foot. I got to take an 850 for a test ride and was blown away by the power. You have to remember that I'm downsizing from a R1200GS and think that the 850 is a good compromise. If in a year or two the 850 becomes too tall then I can look into lower suspension components from somebody like Touratech.
    Perazzi likes this.
  10. mikefromohio

mikefromohio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to write a thoughtful and real world review of your new bike. I recently bought a 2016 f800gs and need to buy a windshield, because like you I much prefer still air when riding. I would appreciate if you would share what model Madstad windshield you bought and when it is in the fully raised position are you looking over it or through it? I am 6'2'' with a 32 inch inseam and weigh in at 185. I have one other wrinkle to work out, which is that my bike is a standard f800gs, but the previous owner converted the windshield to a Adventure model shield and hardware, so I think I have to buy a shield for the adventure model of which there seem to be fewer available. I'd appreciate any advice you may have. Thanks, Mike
  11. Perazzi

Perazzi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Mike.

You're very welcome. Glad it was helpful.

Regarding the MADSTAD windshield... Once I knew that I was going to buy the 2019 f 750 GS - I called MADSTAD and gave them my measurements and bike information. Nice people - easy to get along with. They shipped the "appropriate" windsheild to EuroSport in Asheville NC who then installed it. Like most folks, I look over the top of the shield - in my case - by a comfortable margin. If I could do it over again, I would order the next height up as I could still look over that one as well. That said, for >me< the shield does about all I could ask for short of a barn door. Call MADSTAD and ask them about the 750 shield they shipped to ESA early 2019. Don't know if I can be of any more help but if I can, I will. :-)
    bobw likes this.
  12. Daryloftexas

Daryloftexas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wait... I cant get over the fact that your 6' and bought the factory lowered suspension... why?
    SnoDrtRider likes this.
  13. Perazzi

Perazzi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Daryl...

Maybe cuz my legs are shorter than most? Not kidding. I must have a higher torso or something. Whatever the reason Daryl...I cannot get both feet flat on the ground with the standard height seat. Even the folks at the dealership were a bit surprised and why they asked me to sit on the lowered version. Voila!!! NOT a small difference. I'd have preferred the standard height seat with the center stand - but gave up that stand for the lower seat height advantages for >me.< Call me irregular.

Cheers.
    Tigershark48 likes this.
  14. bikeymikey70

bikeymikey70 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good review, agree with your comments, love the 750.

I bought a white one with all the electronics, have replaced the windscreen, the pegs, and have added bark busters, and a aluminium top box. Will get frames and soft luggage when funds allow

What amazes me about this bike is how well it handles, and great off road
    BygDaddee and PSYOP SGM like this.
  15. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's your previous bike you rode most before the 750?
  16. bikeymikey70

bikeymikey70 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I learnt to ride on the farm, on ag bikes, and had a F650GS thumper before the 750. I’m a slow rider, but the 750 just feels very confident on gravel and single track for a road bike
    PSYOP SGM likes this.
  17. Perazzi

Perazzi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bikeymikey...

I am not a serious off-roader but do ride and enjoy off-road. Before I closed the deal on my bike, I specifically asked the salesman what I could do on the 1250 that I could not do on the 750? He said: nothing. Now, maybe that was a negative aimed at me - but I didn't read it that way when he said it. This salesman is a "very" serious and experienced rider / instructor who could probably do single track on a Goldwing. :clap The bike might not do very well but HE WOULD! He has the creds. So I believe him and trust his judgment. Again, this is all my opinion but at my age, I take advice very sparingly and he's been right so far! I'm sure the 850 is better set up for more serious off-roading - which I don't need - and why I bought the 750. It's capably handled everything I've asked of it. You are dead right about the handling. Glad you are enjoying yours as well.

Cheers.
    bobw, stegs and bikeymikey70 like this.
  18. TitanRanger

TitanRanger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Traded my R9TurbinGS for the F750GS 2 days ago. I’m already close to scheduling the breakin service. Windscreen (windstamp is more accurate) has got to GO! ztechnik sport/tour windscreen on order. Want wider pegs...any suggestions? Crash bars are on the short list of wants, still researching on the google machine. F750 is perfect fit for me. The seating position of my TurbanGS was to compact and aggravated arthritis in my hips/knees. I opted to get the silver vario panniers because my dealer made the deal to shweeet to pass. Rubber side down.
    bobw, Perazzi and Tigershark48 like this.
  19. Arby60

Arby60 Bluegrass Rider

Oddometer:
    This thread is a great read and very insightful for me as I can relate. I have had 9 bikes over the years and 7 have been BMW's; F models, R models, K models, and a trike.
    I'm approaching a very health 75 years old. 2 years ago, after dropping my R1200GS in the driveway I came to the realization that maybe it was time to switch to a lighter bike. I sold the GS to a fellow Bluegrass Beemer Club member who added a sidecar, and I bought a 2017 F700GS. I now have the F700GS and my 1973 R75/5 Toaster. My first mod to the GS was the windshield. I have to have wind protection and I added a Madstad screen with the little wings on the side. I really like this screen with the adjustability, but my arms get blasted with air at higher speeds. Second mod was a Sargent seat. I've had them before and like them but on this bike it pushes me back a bit more so I'm leaning a bit more forward than I like. I'm considering handlebar risers. I had Verholen risers on my 1200GS and they're great. Pricey but my friends say if you ride a BMW, don't complain. Only problem is where to mount my Nav VI if I do that. I would really like the GPS higher up in my field of vision but I haven't found found a mounting solution for that. Anyway, I'm rambling, but I just wanted to say that I enjoy all of your posts and hope that you will continue as you enjoy your rides and make modifications. I would love to see pictures if that's something you could do.
    bobw likes this.
  20. TitanRanger

TitanRanger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Arby, check this out...
    bobw likes this.