2019 first Baja trip with trailer that got solo

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by duggram, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think it's important to have the discussion before you leave with a guy/group about the possibility of it not working out, and to not take it personally if you decide to split off. If you get feedback that you've raised some hackles, then you've seen the writing on the wall. Hey, we all have different personalities and sometimes it'll work and other times it won't. Life goes on and at the end of the day, we all just want to make the best of each and every day we have left on this earth.
    You've clearly demonstrated that you have a ton of patience, but, you paid the price for being that kind of guy.
    I've been in similar situations, but being the "fixer" made my trips much less enjoyable, so now I travel solo or with guys that are similar minded and know what to expect from each other.
    Viva Mexico!!
    davide, td63, chilejack and 2 others like this.
  2. duggram

duggram Happy to be Retired Supporter

Oddometer:
    Something else I should have covered is the cost. I spent way more than I needed to and still only spent about $650 on my ~ten days on my trip. I know I could have cut that cost a lot by camping more. Everything else was so cheap. For sure I will do more camping in the future. How much do you camp when traveling in Baja? What kind of places do you look for? Do you think about security when looking for good spot? I saw a beach near Gonzaga Bay that looked like it would have been good spot for a night.
  3. Snownut

Snownut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree, I've seen situations where splitting off creates bad feelings but I don't feel personally that its always a bad thing. Spending a lot of time with one person can create a situation where someone needs a break. For the good of friendships sometimes it may be necessary, heck, sometimes my wife tells me to go get on my bike and come back in a few days!! And I'm not saying I don't agree with other comments about safer being with another rider. Having been in a serious accident in baja before having someone with is definitely a good thing.

I think I'm similar to you Hill Climber in being a fixer, always wanting to make sure the ride is great for everyone else at sometimes my own detriment.

I always take a tent and sleeping bag just in case but generally rooms are so cheap I really don't camp much. I'm not sure I would camp by myself on a beach but if I was riding with someone or there were other campers there I don't think I would worry too much about safety.
    R.E.D., td63, duggram and 1 other person like this.
  4. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sir, this was an excellent report. Great patience with your "partner". As to cost, people ask me how much my travels cost and I replay that I do not track it, nor do I care.
    Drybones and Snownut like this.
  5. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    Great report Doug, that sounds like a great adventure and intro to South of the Border.
    duggram likes this.
  6. td63

td63 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    A nice book end to that other recent RR by the Canadian guy complaining in equal length about how slow his partner was, on their trip up to Alaska. Sounds like in both cases y'all didn't know the other dude before setting off (and both other partners were on meds!) so it's kind of like shacking up on the first date, so maybe that's the larger lesson: don't commit to shacking up with someone based on their Tinder profile? :)

On last summer's cross country trip my roommate and I, who I'd never met before face to face, emailed at length about our riding and travel styles and he kept writing that he was exactly like me so it'd be awesome. Turned out he was exactly unlike me in nearly every aspect! So the other problem is that most of us don't really have a good, objective bead on who we are, how we like to ride and travel etc....

Off bikes, I can really only travel at length with my wife, my daughter or my brother (and when he was alive, my dad), and that makes me realize each of those relationships either took decades to iron out or, with my kid, brother and dad, it's because she, we or they learned how to travel together from birth.

Anyway, great report!
    duggram likes this.
  7. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you think some of the extra cost was caused by "partner"? Also it would be hilarious if "partner" was an inmate and joined the thread.
  8. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to post your report. I'm curious if your intention to pack less stuff on future rides includes omitting the trailer.
  9. liv2day

liv2day Life is all about how you handle plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    @HellsAlien strikes again! Good on you for heading down to Baja for the experience, had my first ride down there in November and cannot wait to go back. As others have said, your patience is to be commended and it's great to hear that the various issues encountered didn't detract from your trip. Hopefully, you'll be able to grab a good friend for the next jaunt south :thumb :thumb
    duggram likes this.
  10. CaptUglyDan

CaptUglyDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He is, I met him exactly once. Duggram is spot on.
    td63, nk14zp and duggram like this.
  11. duggram

Oddometer:
    If he did I'd hope that he could take it constructively. I did.
    nk14zp and Motorius like this.
  12. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was

Oddometer:
    Doug,
    'twas Providence we crossed paths in the middle of the street. Will ride with ya somewhere/sometime for sure!

You would have a gas living/riding from your toy hauler down here. Excellent camp just down the road from my place. Hauling big rigs here is doable, but also nerve wracking.

Great read, to read the 90% of your adventures, we didn't have have time for a cervesa.

Will make up for that down the dusty road.

Ride on!
    Oldschoolrocker likes this.
  13. duggram

Oddometer:
    Al you're the best. And thanks for all the help. Something to remember is partner found a new tire in Loreto the next day. Maybe Alonso the tire guy in San Ignacio came up with a good contract. The Tuesday Brewsday crew (there's a thread in the Rockies section) I hang out with here in T or C has a friend living in Mulege. On here their handle is princess jamaica. I'm going to stay around there a lot longer next time. On the toyhauler, I think it would be best to come on the highway 1 side right to Mulege. I've driven the Alcan a lot and a few times with my trailer, and it's not nearly as rough as highway 5.
  14. CaptUglyDan

CaptUglyDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was a few yrs ago, He wanted to meet my riding pal and I to ask about riding Baja or Alaska.
    Weird vibes, You have the patience of an Angel.
    1/2 hr was all we could take.
    duggram and td63 like this.
  15. Racerlarry

Racerlarry n00b

Oddometer:
    I really enjoyed your RR. I never thought about riding to Baja, but now I am. I understand what you went through with your partner. I left on a rode trip with my neighbor. Tulsa to Maggie Valley,NC. 1st day there and he heads home alone. Lol He could not ever ride the speed limit. I wouldn’t hesitate to go on a road trip alone now.
    duggram likes this.
  16. Ratman

Ratman Lucky Rider

Oddometer:
    You are or seem to be a Prince of a riding partner, Doug. I don't think that there is one in a hundred riders that I could spend a week with. I have ridden with high school best friends to AK and back. That ended that friendship. Maybe being a geezer has made me harder to get along with. LOL.

Actually, in this case, he had freshly retired, and has no 'sperience at tripping.....hence, all his suggestion sucked. For instance, we were riding side by side on the road to Inuvik. I wanted to be side by side because we were cutting our gas range close. I didn't want the lead guy not to notice that the trailing guy was missing for 10 miles or more and then have to double back and use up that extra gas. But my friend was nervous with me by his side. At one point he said, "Either go ahead or get back behind me".

It was obvious that his lack of experience showed he couldn't appreciate the situation, that if enough shit went wrong that one or both of us could have a tough time (or die). Anyway I dropped back but not very far. I remember taking a rock to the lip at one point. I dropped back farther.

On the way back I ran out of gas and he didn't notice me gone. I had gas but my bike was starting really hard. I could hear the starter beginning to slow down when it did finally catch.

Thanks for the report. Your time with partner is what made the report so interesting as most of us were waiting for the shoe to drop again, and again, and again.....

Last time that I was down there was me guiding 11 guys and gals on street bikes (The gal was also riding her own bike) that hadn't been there before, down to Guererro Negro to watch whales, and then on to Mulege. We had a need for a chain that time....and other times tubes. My experience was there were none of those things between Ensenada and La Paz. I'm glad to see that has improved.

If I'm there alone, I camp anywhere. It doesn't have to be on a beach as I'm mostly just going to sleep. I do like to get out of sight, though.
    duggram likes this.
  17. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Doug! Wow what a trip. Guess your too kind to insert “jack ass” in place or “partner”. Some partner.....NOT. Really cool you met Al down there! He’s a great guy. If you come up to do the VBOM in 2020 you’ll get yo ride and camp with him. Really enjoyed your report thats for sure. I am really looking hard at Baja now thanks to you and reports from inmates up here. Who knows maybe we’ll join you! Cheers!!
    duggram likes this.
  18. liv2day

liv2day Life is all about how you handle plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not to butt in, but from a fellow PNWer...do it :D :D. Sure, it's a long arse haul to get to the border, but riding down there is nirvana. And that's saying something given what we have access to here.

Funny how many people know Al, seems he gets around :lol3 :lol3 :lol3. He's great people :-)

@duggram - I'm a believer in Karma (sorta) - you sure as hell built a ton of it on this trip. You're due good fortune on the next adventure :thumb
    duggram likes this.
  19. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    For sure!! I follow all you guys and man it does look like a good time. And we know the winters wear on one up here. Cheers!
    duggram likes this.
  20. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was

Oddometer:
    I agree on hwy 1 south, easy peasy. Can feed you detail on that later.
    We usually go back north through Tecate with trailers, just easier than dealing with TJ in the afternoon rush.
    Details details....

Coming out of T & C might mean different, but getting to the freeway from Tecate is no big deal.
    Going to be a while before Mex 5 flood damage is rebuilt.
    duggram likes this.