2019 Ford Ranger

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Chillis, May 29, 2018.

1. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    She's back!

Got to see it in the flesh on the road yesterday. They do preproduction hot weather and altitude testing just outside of Las Vegas(Death Valley and Mt. Charleston). We always see the new goodies before hitting market. Sometimes in disguise and sometimes production ready units. Also passed a diesel JL testing on the mountain.

Looks good. Thought it was going to be larger but my unscientific flyby(had to catch up as it passed me entering the highway) it seems it is Tacoma sized or maybe slightly smaller. Don't quote me on that though. Could be the same size as the rest of the small come medium sized trucks nowadays.
    OConnor, toddiscdn and a1fa like this.
  2. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like a new sport trac.
    9Realms, AdamChandler, ohgood and 2 others like this.
  3. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is what I thought as well. With some Tacoma mixed in.
  4. Crocodile Tears

Crocodile Tears Tiny Swedish Climate Demon Supporter

Oddometer:
    Roll bar looking thing is pretty gross. Same with the ginormous contrast colored RANGER in the tailgate. And the side steps need to go.

This truck does it’s engine right though, 2.3T should make nice usable power in this platform. When they were redesigning the Tacoma for 2016 many people were hoping for an optional revised version of the 2.0T out of the Lexus NX, which was right on par with the 4.0 in power.
    ohgood likes this.
  5. tomcat125

tomcat125 Lazy Bum

Oddometer:
  6. RomaDakota

RomaDakota Experts agree!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ugh, it's a Taco.
    My '99 will keep on going.
    lkr57, ohgood and BillsR100 like this.
  7. Bovino

Bovino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Slighly tweaked global Ranger.

When I was shopping trucks last year, it was the most tinny one of the offerings, the inside is cheapo too.

I do like the looks of it though, and I sure am jealous of that 2.3T.
    Maggot12 likes this.
  8. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    Funny how "small" trucks are now bigger than the old chevy I had way back when. too tall, too big, too useless. Beds too small to carry anything. nothing but styling. Give me an old truck with a proper bed that can actually carry something, even the older "small" trucks could carry a decent load. Also give me an interior I can hose out, rubber mats, vinyl seats, etc. I don't need a luxury truck, I need a real truck. Hell, give me manual wind up windows!!
    Uke, YJake, ragtoplvr and 9 others like this.
  9. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has a better looking front end than the new Tacoma's.
    Ragin Rabbi, ohgood and Chillis like this.
  10. RustyStuff

RustyStuff Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've posted about it before but making the cars bigger is a way to cheat fuel economy regulations. A larger car has lower standards with the same engine. So puff that new econobox up until it can pass with a 10 year old engine design and shove it out the door with a $5000 price increase for the trouble.
  11. Bovino

Bovino Been here awhile

Oddometer:

After looking at it on the big screen, that thing looks like the same old Wildtrak from over here, including "Wildtrak" and "4x4" stickers:

https://www.ford.co.uk/shop/price-and-locate/build-and-price-ranger#/catalogID/SU_NG/?code=CD223

Can't see what it says on the fake vent on the fender, but it looks like the 3.2 Diesel one.

So nah, this ain't yer new Ranger in that video.
  12. SteelJM1

SteelJM1 Former Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer:
    An inch smaller than an f150. Whoopdee doo.

My 95 isuzu has a bigger bed, that's lower to the ground, and you can actually reach into the bed from the side to grab stuff.
  13. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

I'm glad someone pointed that out.

these trucks are jacked up .... why again?

the bed is so high they're putting step ladders in the tail gates (as an option of course!) and steps in the corners.

I guess the profits are just too hard to resist, and pickups really are dead :-(
    BillsR100 and RustyStuff like this.
  14. SteelJM1

SteelJM1 Former Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer:
    Not to mention it averages 27mpg.
    Chillis likes this.
  15. Bovino

Bovino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, these trucks now actually are pretty good offroaders.
    All the Jap trucks tend to have good ground clearance, big-ish wheels and a 100% push-button difflock nowadays. Like since just a couple of years.
    Just now the do what it says on the box.
    My '17 Hilux returns the same mileage a petrol Golf gets you, whilst having a literal ton in the back.

I think if something is useless, it's a low-down 2WD truck. It's a friggin van, just the rain pisses down on your cargo.
    nevermind likes this.
  16. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Want a truck in the next 2 years, an off-lease Colorado is likely the pick, ZR1/ZR2 due to the diesel. This looks like a Tacoma and of course the bed is really tiny. there isn't a single truck that really sings to me currently available.
    Hot Dog Stu likes this.
  17. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

truck off-road? I haven't seen a truck off-road in a decade, unless it was stolen/burned. gravel roads and dirt roads is about the limit for these $50000 glamour wagons.

either your Hilux is getting a strong tail wind, or the golf is pulling a school bus, they get terrible fuel economy compared to cars. like 15-19 mpg ?

the beds are uselessly small, and to high to load anything into.... see all those trucks pulling trailers instead of using the bed? yup, it's easier that way, and it negates buying a truck completely, might as well have a sedan.
    Uke, Liko, EZMoney and 3 others like this.
  18. Bovino

Bovino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We trashed a then new 07' Mitsubishi L200 a few times literally through the Sahara, first stock then with some Hot Bits fully adjustable. Nowadays the layout of a Hilux is very close to a Landcruiser, maybe a tad more overhang in the back.

As for Fuel, on average I get anywhere from 30 mpg (US) to 25 when you floor it on the Autobahn. Doing 170 klicks for a few hours it'll never gets worse than say 20ish. We did a 7000 km roundtrip last October. Loaded, on Motorways and crossing the Picos de Europa offroad we averaged 9 l/100 km or 26 mpg.
    Those figures go for all Japanese 4-pot Diesels really, the modern ones at least.

As for the bed, oh well, it's a pain to get in. A decent 4WD VW Transporter would have cost pretty much double, so if you need 4x4 and cargo space there ain't much choice over here.
  19. Weekend_warrior

Weekend_warrior Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Speaking of Mitsubishi... I wish they bring Phantom to the states.

On the Ford Ranger.... I saw one back in December in San Antonio. It came from the mexico side of Laredo, TX and had Mexico plates. They just stopped selling them here. Then redesigned it and released it for other countries. Several years back. The US model likely has a bit more stuff to make it 50 state legal than a international model. It was pretty cooling looking and will defiantly be "on the list" to drive when the time comes for me to upgrade.
  20. Lesharoturbo

Lesharoturbo Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I personally have no issue with the bed height. Sounds like a lot of short people (<6') here.

I also don't have a problem with the short bed .With the tailgate down, you can still carry what you need, but not have the extra 2' of bed length fur every day driving.

I do agree that small trucks are larger than necessary.
    vegasphotog likes this.