2019 Ford Ranger

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Chillis, May 29, 2018.

1. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I like the increased height, provided they keep the ground effects to a minimum. That stuff just gets ripped off on the rocks and logs.

That particular Ranger looks like an Explorer with the rear cargo area replaced with a half bed. I'd really like one with a standard cab and a standard bed.

My work truck is close. It has an extra cab (which could theoretically seat two more people), and a standard bed. Before my department got it, it was used as a survey truck. They had added additional leaf springs in the rear to carry all the equipment. When I got it, I cranked up the fron torsion bars a little to level the truck. Now it's a pretty good off roader, even if the turning radius is a bit wide. The extra space behind the seats comes in handy for my work tools, so I guess it's a trade off. The 4.0L V6 is a gem, but I wish it had a manual transmission so my co-workers would quit asking to borrow it. :lol3

My personal truck (short cab, short bed full size Chevy) will make tighter u-turns, which is handy on cliff side switchbacks.
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    at 6'4" I'm not happy about reaching up and over a bed rail to get to heavier pieces. it just doesn't make sense to lift the body so high, other than marketing/image.
    EZMoney likes this.
  3. ausfahrt

ausfahrt mach schnell Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am the same height and I don't get the jacked up thing either.:dunno

It's good to see the Ranger back on the market.
  4. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most pickup beds seem to have a +36" load height and to comfortably load a larger bike I would want a long loading ramp that would take up most of the remaining bed space. Because of this, I'm looking into a cargo van as my next vehicle.
    Grainbelt and shores like this.
  5. toddiscdn

toddiscdn Take off, EH!

Oddometer:
    Ive been waiting for it and will likely buy when the time comes, biggest disappointment is the single engine option. Ive drove and towed with the 2.7 and 3.5 ecoboost and they are quite capable, might take a while to wrap my head around the 4 banger though, needs a diesel. I need to tow a 2 bed enclosed sled trailer and a 16' tin fishing boat.

27 mpg looks fab to me, my 4.0L Frontier gets 16-17mpg, its a pig.
  6. Lesharoturbo

Lesharoturbo Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am a couple inches taller than you and don't usually have an issue with that. My issue is fitting in the cab.

For the general user, I agree with the lift being silly. But I lived on a gravel road in rural Michigan for about 8 years. The extra lift is almost required when the roads do not get plowed for weeks after a major snow event.
  7. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Plus fucking a million. They are just god damn SUVs with four foot beds on them now. Because everyone wants a "truck" and "trucks" are what sell, even though they are used to drive to and from work every day and never haul anything. Those stupid beds are useless, difficult to load, and actually waste space compared to an SUV or minivan with the seats down.
  8. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Living where 4-wheeling is done in forested areas, the goal is to get the axles as far off the ground as possible, while keeping the body as low as possible. There have been times when I've scraped the frame rails on a boulder, and the roof on a tree limb at the same time. If I had simply jacked up the truck as much as possible I wouldn't have made it. I also wouldn't have made it in a stock height truck.
  9. Nico

Nico The Sexiest of Silverbacks.

Oddometer:
    A lot of complaining about what other people like/choose going on in this thread. :norton
    EmmEff, SocalRob and JustKip like this.
  10. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    Hi peckerhead, its because facebook. . Of course its for profit.. why else would they put 4 doors on a truck?
  11. SteelJM1

SteelJM1 Former Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer:
    More like people complaining that the manufacturers arent making trucks that they want to buy ;)
  12. Nico

Nico The Sexiest of Silverbacks.

Oddometer:
    They're selling a lot of pick up trucks. Seems they're making trucks other folks do want to buy. I agree the new trucks are bloated and too tall for my use, plus tens of thousands more expensive than I care for, but I'm (we're) in the minority best I can tell.
    ohgood likes this.
  13. longjt

longjt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't for the life of me figure out why ford stopped making the last Ranger, especially the standard cab. I still see a ton of them used by gardners and contractors everyday. I've just retired and wanted something a little bit taller than my 95 tbird, and was hoping for a comeback of the standard cab small trucks. :(
    Maggot12, ohgood and Nico like this.
  14. straightrod

straightrod Long timer

Oddometer:
    Plus an AM radio and an air conditioner that's it.
  15. shores

shores ElBandido

Oddometer:
    My f150 stock height is damn high
    And my ramps are not arched ones so steep when you get to the tip where you are the most unstable
    Weestrom with a full tank is damn scary going up and even more going backwards down

Would love a small toyhauler ot enclosed utility trailer but not in the budget for another year or two
  16. HapHazard

HapHazard Waiting for Gudenov

Oddometer:
    I had a 93 Ranger super cab 4.0 v 5 speed 4wd off road. The last vehicle that I factory ordered with exactly the options that I wanted. It was great. Towed my boat fine. Big enough, but not too big. Gas mileage, high teens to low 20s. At 110k, 5th gear stripped all of its teeth. When I shopped for a new truck in 2005, they hadn't made many changes to the Rangers, one that they did was to get rid of the twin beam front end and go to a conventional independent setup that didn't ride OR handle as well as the twin beam did.

I bought a Chevy Colorado with the inline 5 and 5 speed manual. It has very little low end torque, and was practically undriveable, until I had a guy tune the ECU. When I tow my empty aluminum snowmobile trailer, I can feel it dragging down the motor. My boat and trailer weigh maybe 1200 pounds, and there's no comparison with how the Ranger handled it. Gas mileage is the same as the Ranger. Handling is not as good. It has been reliable, but its not nearly the truck that the Ranger was. It's only advantage is the electric locking rear, which works better than the Ford's limited slip.

The new Colorado is automatic only, and the same size and price as a Silverado, except for the width. No thanks. Dodge (Ram) killed off the Dakota, and I haven't heard anything about a replacement, although that truck was never "smaller". Nissan Frontier is in its last year (again) probably, before they offer a backless Rogue or similar. The Taco is what it is, and I just don't care for it.

The 2019 Ranger is a turbo 4, automatic only SUV with the back roof cut off. I'm very disappointed. I'd hoped that Ford would have been smart enough to make an actual smaller truck. They'd have the market to themselves in the US, and I think that there are lots of us who'd welcome something other than what's being offered now. :gerg
  17. RustyStuff

RustyStuff Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ]
    Ford said it cost too much to update it like they do f150's and that it's sales were bad because of it.
    My speculation was that it cut into the F150 profit's.
    longjt, ohgood and HapHazard like this.
  18. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It sounds like Ford wants me to replace my last remaining F150 crew cab with another Colorado crew cab like the one that replaced my other dead F150. This R&T article does not sound like work trucks are even a real consideration for these new Rangers.

Too bad, because I will be truck shopping at the end of this year to replace my last rusted out, beat to shit F150. My guys are happy with the reduced height and width of the Colorado. But even the six foot Colorado bed is tight for our gear. A five foot box kills these for me.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sh...21/2019-ford-ranger-debut-release-date-specs/

"......... while SuperCrew Rangers will only get the shorter bed."

"The lack of a stripper model with plastic wheel well trim pieces leads us to believe that higher-volume, lower-profit fleet sales/work truck sales aren’t as high of a priority."
    ohgood likes this.
  19. Weekend_warrior

Weekend_warrior Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The bed height issue is one for me with a 29 inch inseam. I load two bike regularly in a 08 full size GMC. I don't want anything taller. I have thought about putting in a stiffer leaf and flipping the block to level the truck by dropping the rear. I just don't want he headlights to shine up when I have something in the back (I.E. 800 pounds or bikes and gear). Thinking about a small toy hauler or fold up kinda to make it easy. I like the idea of the kendon 2 bike folder. Easy to pull in and hose the bikes off in the car wash on the way home and "air dry" them. I can pre-load the trailer on sat... store it in the garage and make a quick departure in the morning.

The trailer thing will solve the height issue. I wouldn't mind an "SUV" type truck as I do haul a few people around a do a lot of "city" driving. Parking, errands, etc.... It would be nice. I think it will do most of what I need, but not sure I want to pay for it.

The Ranger will be on the list, as will the canyon (GMC), and the Honda Ridgeline. If I do get a trailer it will be small and open or if I get a toy hauler it will likely be small and light enough for any one of the smaller trucks or SUV to handle it.

Though I have a full size currently I really don't tax it often. If I do need to "haul" anything my brother has a F250 with a 7.3 and a 14 foot dump trailer. He will always have something larger enough to haul with as he needs it for his business. I won't lie and say its not handy.

I don't want to get punished with 13.5 mpg forever and not use what I'm paying for. My unless my needs change something that hauls 4 folks and does the light duty type stuff with nothing more than a boat, bikes, and goods from the home depot I think I will be fine with a bed that will at a minimum hold a 5x8 sheet of wood without much fuss.
  20. HapHazard

HapHazard Waiting for Gudenov

Oddometer:
    Since I got my tilt-bed snowmobile trailer, warrior, I've never loaded any wheeled vehicle (bike, garden tractor, quad) into my truck bed, and can't imagine why I'd want to.
    Towing can be more difficult in certain situations, but the ease and safety of loading and unloading are more than worth it to me.
    Also, I can haul much more brush onto the trailer per load than on the truck.
    Uke and RustyStuff like this.