2019 Forza 300

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cabanza, Mar 9, 2018.

1. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    My 2014 Forza 300 was made in Thailand and held together with plastic rivets which almost all broke. I replaced them roofing screws with rubber grommets under the head.

It was a poorly made expensive Honda of poor quality. BUT it has over 100,000 km on it now.

It has some bad design decisions. To remove the rear wheel you also have to remove the exhaust and the false swing arm. The rear brake is almost impossible to inspect with an exhaust removal almost necessary. The front forks are only held on at the very top. There is very little suspension travel.

Mine came with no oil in the forks which made for very bad handling. Adding oil improved it a lot.

The Forza was expensive in Canada and it barely sold. They lowered the price and still it sat in the dealers. I got mine cheaper because the previous owner had it fall over in a parking lot. Our Government run insurance company wrote off a brand new, not even broken in scooter because it had bodywork scratches. The government also stole a billion dollars from the insurance company.

The 2014 underseat storage is really two holes with a short passage way. My helmet fit in none of the holes so I put a 55 litre top box on the back.

Riding a Forza is like riding a horse bareback. You have to learn to move with the fat assed bike.

I think all of the Forza are made only in Thailand.

My current top speed on the Forza is 130 km/hr indicated or probably 120 km/hr GPS. Not much considering it is a 300 (278 CC actually).

At top speed it is an unstable ride considering only your hands are attached to the scooter with your ass bouncing off the seat while your feet search for the floor boards.

I have ridden about 50 or 60 different motorcycles, lots of demo rides and owned a few. My 2014 Forza has 100,000 km on it and I like it BUT I would never consider it a great motorcycle. It scares me enough to keep me excited.
    FreewheelBurning and Blue&Yellow like this.
  2. HamsterTheRipper

HamsterTheRipper n00b

Oddometer:
    Regarding the design decisions about the forks and rear wheel, they seem fine to me as this is how ALL of such scooters are made, such as Yamaha Majesty, Honda Silverwing, Suzuki Burgman, Sym MaxSym etc, they only recently started making front suspension the motorcycle style (in early 2000s T-Max was the firs one if I recall correctly)

I am glad you like your Forza, I had a bunch of Hondas myself, starting from 1992 Honda Lead 50cc, 1991 Honda Dio 50cc, XR650R, CBR954RR and CBR250RR, they all were great bikes and reliability was never concern for me with those machines. With Yamaha I had only 1 bad experience with the 2nd gear popping out on Yamaha FZ6 2008, I later figured out it was quite common in those gearboxes, everything else worked just fine (I had 4 different Yammies, scooters and motorbikes), their engines are bulletproof and can spin in full throttle mode all day long.

You have an older Honda Forza, and I am talking about the new one.
    I do not doubt that Honda makes great drivetrains, yet the devil is in the detail as they say...
    Besides, you are not buying a new bike to pretty much replace every single screw on it, so as long as there are better alternatives on the market, sorry Honda...maybe next time....
  3. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    One of the best bikes I ever had was a Yamaha BWS 49cc scooter.

My Forza was not one of Honda's best, that is for sure.

My worst bike was a Kawasaki GPZ305. Almost all of them had oil pickup problems and broken engines. But I also rode that bike past a mushroom cloud at the Hanford Nuclear Reservation.

I need to get to sleep.
  4. aguim

aguim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So Honda builds some very tough mules, but their f...ing plastics are one stupid mess.

It took me a whole day of filing, dremel-ing, lubing , the main plastics so that they'd fit quick and easy on my own 2014 Forza. Couldn't help but break a few tabs while first taking it apart, as I'm totally impatient with that kind of crap. Hell, I can think of a hundred other ways to build panels that fit tight, and easy... So yes, Honda plastics are one very stoupid mess...and they just don't care about people complaining about it, period.

Not that Honda alone makes crappy plastics, though. EVERYBODY ELSE does, EVERYWHERE.
    Looks like the designer crowd is on dope, 24/7.

But the powertrains are good, so why complain, hey.
  5. aguim

aguim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Dave,

Happy 100K. Still have that silly water pump small leak ? Shit, this must be the longest lasting leak
    in the history of motor mechanics...without the thing blowing up !

Hey, I just bought a Zuma, too. Very easy to work on, plus the plastics are very cheap (to buy).
    A guy in Montreal bought my Forza and says it's 'the best bike, ever '. Isn't life GREAT !

Last time I used the Forza I ended up so wet I'm now a few inches tall, so I thought, better
    stop the brave act, and get a car. So sorry, I won't join the 100K club.
  6. 87112

87112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had my 15 Forza over a year and completely happy with it, its got a low center of gravity and handles very easily considering its weight. I think the low seat height helps a lot.
    The dash looks like it was designed by the people at Acura. I find by moving my butt up and putting my legs under me that it rides quite a bit different than sitting back and legs stretched out, almost like a different bike. It handles better this way.
    I think 1st gen Forza is unique looking scooter, the Lights are as big as a alien bug. I won't ever sell mine.
  7. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    I still have an ugly smearing of oil from the water pump.
  8. Oldie

Oldie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The build quality of the Italian built 2019 Forzas appears to be very good. The engine and drivetrain are smooth and will do a true 85+mph, which is plenty. The whole package is modern and it's a joy to ride. No complaints here. I've never ridden the old model but you guys make it sound like it wasn't quite the finished article. Still plenty on the road though.

My only dislike on the 2019 is the poor coverage given by the mirrors but you learn to live with it - no biggie really. It really is a great scoot considering it's about $6,500 (£5,000) OTD.
  9. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    Where are they being built in Italy?
  10. DRO4

DRO4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. MarylandStrom

MarylandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Honda is famous for setting up assembly plants near their largest market. Helps with shipping.

Maybe European scooters come from Italy, but I suspect here in the states, they will come from Indonesia somewhere.
  12. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    My 2014 came from Thailand.
  13. Lethe.au

Lethe.au Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if Honda's OEM phone cradle for the Forza 125 is compatible with the new Forza 300? The handlebar setup looks the same, but it's not on Honda's list of accessories for the new 300...
  14. DRO4

DRO4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wishing we could buy new '19 Forza 300 here in USA.
  16. Lethe.au

Lethe.au Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One would think that means it is incompatible with the new 300 also. Disappointing, but thanks for spotting it.

P.S. I am shortly to get Honda's OEM heated grips fitted and will provide feedback accordingly.
  17. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    I sat on a new Forza at the dealer when they first came out, and my first impression was, no way. I like the XMax a LOT better, but didn't realize it had VVT. Years ago Honda put VVT on the VFR800. Having the valves adjusted cost over $600, and that must have been 15 years ago. At the time it was said that adjusting the valves on a desmo Ducati was a lot easier than on the Honda.

It is almost impossible to find a bike that will support 2 large riders. I had an '85 Goldwing, which had a weight limit of 400 pounds (I wonder if it would have been 500 pounds if you removed the fairing, bags, and trunk) with me (240 pounds) and my youngest daughter (135 pounds) it constantly bottomed out and pounded my back good. That was a 1200cc cross country touring bike. Strangely enough, the weight limit on my XT225 dual sport was also 400 pounds, but I had to spend almost $1000 on suspension to make it handle my weight and about 35 pounds of tools and spare parts. I have never had a pleasant experience riding 2 up on any bike. 2 150 pound riders and some cargo would max out a new Goldwing. I wouldn't even be looking at scooters. With my weight on a Burgman 650, it would probably wear out a rear tire in 2500 miles.

I cannot recommend a BMW anything. Everywhere you look you find the same thing. The only company that has worse reliability (but probably a better warranty) is Can Am, and they don't even make motorcycles or scooters. Even H-D came in three steps above BMW. Yamaha comes in at #1.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/04/who-makes-the-most-reliable-motorcycle/index.ht
  18. DRO4

DRO4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I came along this interesting post on an Italian speaking forum regarding the crank to wheel power loss of the new Forza 300

The comparison is made on a dynojet by the italian bike magazin motociclismo.it with the Piaggio MP3 350, the article is here

https://www.motociclismo.it/prova-s...mp3-350-test-motociclismo-pregi-difetti-72086

Seems like a pretty serious power loss.

The new X-MAX, even though it has a slightly larger engine (292 cc) gets a real 24 HP https://www.insella.it/prova/yamaha-xmax-300-2017/come-va

[​IMG]
  19. DRO4

DRO4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Forza 300 got delivered to the dealer a few days ago. Can't wait to bring it home.

62449455_2383113088592122_8365726106464026624_n.jpg
    Ivabign, Rudderpedals, kpinvt and 4 others like this.
  20. DRO4

DRO4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, my scoot is still on the dealer's floor, I did not had time to pick it up since it's roughly 400 miles away from me and I don't have means of transporting it. Hopefully it will be home next week. It's been a month already since it was delivered to them.

Meanwhile it had the registration papers issued by the equivalent of DMV and some temporary tags.

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-26 at 10.29.27.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-06-26 at 10.29.28(1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-06-26 at 10.29.28(2).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-06-26 at 10.29.28(3).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-06-26 at 10.29.28.jpeg
    The Virginian likes this.