2019 Forza 300

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cabanza, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Glen e

Glen e Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    T.S.Zarathustra likes this.
  2. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I rode a new model Forza for two weeks in Portugal last month.

1800 km riding gave me plenty of time to evaluate the scooter and compare it to my Xmax.

In general, I liked it a lot and, were it offered in the US, would probably choose it over the Xmax if buying now.

The reasons?

Motorized windshield. I enjoyed being able to lower the windshield at slower speeds and while riding twisty roads in the hills. When up, it provided great wind protection. When down, it disappeared from view, allowing me to see ahead clearly.

Less turbulence. My biggest problem with the Xmax is turbulence while touring. I always had my wife on board and I was riding with guys on Sym Joyride 125s (that would surprisingly cruise at 110kph), but I did push it to 120 a few times and the air on the ride was much smoother than the Xmax.

Lower feet. While I am comfortable on long rides on the Xmax, I find my feet too high related to ground, butt and hands. My Vespas are perfect and the Forza is almost perfect for me too.

Feels smaller. While the Yamaha is actually lighter, the Honda feels smaller. I think it is because it is narrower under the seat and at the rear. While I am fine with both, I usually prefer small over large.

The Xmax is definitely more powerful and accelerates quicker. The Honda engine is a little smoother and more refined.

Underseat storage is huge on both.

I thought that the Yamaha finishes and assembly quality to be better. It could be the white in my Xmax is much crisper than the bland gray on the rental Honda.

The beep to tell me to turn off the ignition switch on the Xmax can be annoying, but it is a great feature. I left the Honda ignition in the on position several nights because it doesn’t beep.

The Honda mirrors are terrible. I would add handlebar mirrors to the bike. It has the mounting holes still on the bars.

I truly like my Xmax and will keep it for a very long time, but Honda May have gotten it a little bit better.

Bill
    klaviator, kpinvt and sro99 like this.
  3. DRO4

DRO4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    > Is it possible that something in a pocket was pressing a button continuously on the FOB and running the battery down?

No. I keep it in a separate pocket, no mobile phone nearby.

@CashCow , I will purchase a higher windshield for my Forza, I get lots of buffeting with the stock one. The aftermarket one is 11.5cm (4.5") higher.
  4. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I installed a big Puig windshield after a couple of thousand miles let me know that the stock screen in either position was not good.

The big screen does a great job of keeping wind off my head, but I still get lots of turbulence from the sides.

And on both Maggie Valley mountain rides this year, I would have preferred to have a small screen.

The Honda offers high, low and everywhere in between at the touch of a button.

Bill
  5. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I put a higher screen on my 2014 and I had less air & noise. So much less that I did not notice I was going faster.

I got a speeding ticket. The cop pulled me over right before the entry to my place.

First speeding ticket ever in 42 years of driving/riding.
  6. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    I have tire pressure monitoring valve caps on my 2014 Forza.

The 2032 batteries I buy are sometimes dead on arrival.
  7. DRO4

DRO4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I found the stock screen to be good.
    I never went over 120 kph, but it didnt need to be any taller for me.
  9. Supertoon2

Supertoon2 Just be nice...

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about the suspension. That is the reason I am selling my 2016. That and the passenger comfort...
    Aftermarket will ( but shouldn't have to) fix the problem...
    Sweet looking bike...
  10. DRO4

DRO4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Now I have around 600 kms done by now, all urban. It seems that the suspension is getting better for some reason. I tried adjusting it using the provided tool at the lowest level (soft) but it was horrendous. I could not ride it. Left it on the middle level (factory default).

A pair of Ohlins shocks will cost me roughly 1000 EUR. That's steep. I will stick with the stock one for a while.

Other than that, it s a good scooter. I still have a buyers remorse for not going with a 2019 NC750X with a DCT gearbox.

Hopefully Honda will release some new models with their DCT gearbox. Maybe this November at EICMA2019 in Milano.

[​IMG]
    The Virginian, kpinvt and 87112 like this.
  11. DRO4

DRO4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Managed to drop the scoot today. Not me, but because of me. Left it on the side stand near a curb and for some reason the side stand did not fully extended. Did a couple of steps and heard a crash. So far I have to replace one panel which is roughly 200$ and I am thinking at replacing the front one as well which is $150.

20191112_144907.jpg 20191112_144930.jpg 20191112_145049.jpg 20191112_145126.jpg 20191112_145208.jpg
  12. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    Character marks, did they crack or only scratch?

My 2014 was dropped at low speed in a parking lot. The insurance company wrote it off because of the scratches.

I got a scooter at a very low price with only about 2000 km on the engine.

Honda never put any oil in the forks.

It now has over 123,000 km (76,000 miles)
  13. DRO4

DRO4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The rear left panel is cracked (visible right under the saddle), but I snapped it back into place, should be good until I purchase a replacement.

Luckily for you guys, you can insure your bikes. Where I live, we can't do comprehensive insurance to bikes. I mean, not fully insured. We carry basic insurance in case I hit another vehicle. The insurance will pay for the damage of the other vehicle. I fix my own.
  14. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    Full insurance in British Columbia, Canada is very expensive so I never buy it.

The full insurance on my 2000 4wd Dodge Dakota truck would be more than my truck is worth.

Actually, right now my truck is worth nothing with no front brakes.
  15. byee

byee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you considered a vinyl wrap to hide the scratches? I’m quite sure you can get it wrapped for less.

The cracked panel can easily be plastic welded using a thin sheet of ABS and a bit of methane chloride.
  16. Moat

Moat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Or ABS pipe cement from the hardware store + cloth patches - can be shaped/built-up/contoured/etc into whatever you need. Beef up cracked panels, re-attach broken tabs, repair stripped screw holes - all kinds of good stuff on ABS bodywork.

Bob
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    So IMS LB starts on Friday.
    No sign of this bike for 2020 in the US
    Honda's scooter offerings are weak, but I guess not surprising.
  18. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    No kidding, 49cc Ruckus is the only scooter for Honda in Canada right now.
  19. byee

byee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ABS pipe cement suggestion.
    Moat likes this.
  20. DRO4

DRO4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did, but the spare part is not that expensive after all, found it cheaper somewhere in Netherlands. I will order it and replace it next Spring.