+2019 GPX FSE250E Air Cooled Modern MX Mountain Goat

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Navin, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shoot your FSEe info this way and send me a PM to "sticky" stuff in post one.

image.jpeg

MODEL
    GPX MOTO FSE 250E
    MSRP $3499.99
    ENGINE
    Lubrication Oil pump with cartridge oil filter
    Engine 249cc 4-stroke
    Bore and Stroke 71 mm Bore, 62.2 mm Stroke
    Induction Carburetor
    Ignition CDI
    Compression Ratio 9.0:1
    Valve Train 2 Valve single cam
    Starter Electric start 12v with back up kick starter
    Transmission 5 speed, Optional EFM/Rekluse auto clutch
    Final Drive TBD
    CHASSIS AND DIMENSIONS
    Rake 27.10* (Caster angle)
    Trail 110mm (4.3 inches)
    Wheelbase 58.3 inches
    Seat height 37 inches
    Curb weight 248 lbs with light kit / 243 lbs without light kit
    Fuel Capacity 2.5 Gallons
    Ground Clearance 13 inches
    SUSPENSION
    Front Telescopic, cartridge type, compression and rebound adjustable, 12.2 inch travel
    Rear Linkage, spring preload w/ fully adjustable compression and rebound, 11.81 inch travel
    WHEELS AND TIRES
    Front Tire 80/100x21
    Front Wheel 21 inch alloy
    Rear Tire 100/90x18
    Rear Wheel 18 inch alloy
    BRAKES
    Front Brake Hydraulic disc 260mm rotor w/ twin piston
    Rear Brake Hydraulic disc 240mm rotor w/twin piston
    ADDITIONAL FEATURES
    CNC Billet Triple Clamps Standard
    Digital Speedo W/ Trip Odometer Standard
    Hand Guards Standard
    Head Light & Tail Light Standard w/ Race plate
    Kick Stand Standard
    Skid plate and Frame Guards Standard
    Taper Handle Bars 7061 Standard
    Tool Kit Standard
    Available Colors White / Black

Oil Capacity: with filter inspection 1.1 qt.

Air filter- +17 KTM/Husqvarna foam and cage

Wheels- +2004 KTM +2014 Husky

Forks - 48mm WP fit clamps/ later model KTM/HVA calipers fit

Chain sliders +17 KTM/HVA

OEM gearing 13/46t

Front sprocket CRF230 f
    Rear sprocket +2000 KTM/+2014 HVA

JT rear sprocket pn: JTR897- (# of teeth) i.e. JTR897-44

FSER Rear brake switch, banjo bolt, rear brake light taillight part confirmed.
    https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1195/25925/Tusk-Hydraulic-Brake-Switch-Nissin-Brakes

Front wheel bearings #6905
    Rear wheel bearings #????

KTM wheel bearing and seal kit will fit, inner spacer tube may not

%%%
  2. ChiefOshkosh

ChiefOshkosh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally! Thanks Navin.

One thing to add for Generation 1 Models. Rear brake light. I think you have this on the TSE forum too. :)

FSEe Rear brake switch, banjo bolt, rear brake light taillight part confirmed.
    https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1195/25925/Tusk-Hydraulic-Brake-Switch-Nissin-Brakes

Spliced into one of the grounds. Then connected to the remaining positive. Ran the wire under the frame saver and then under the tank.

Works great.
    Navin likes this.
  3. ChiefOshkosh

Oddometer:
    "Per Gary" We have had a few guys ask how to change from KPH to MPH on the digital display...
    Push the + and - at the same time until the odometer section comes up (not clock or trip) once the odometer and kph are showing release the + and hold down the - button for 3-5 seconds or until the mph is displayed. repeat if necessary.
    GreenMT_rider and Navin like this.
  4. Cascade Adventurer

Cascade Adventurer All the gear, no skill

Oddometer:
    Continuing the FSE 250E suspension conversation I started in the combined XTR FSE thread here.

I just brought the forks to Les at LTR because I don't know enough to realize that the harshness I've experienced could be due to the shock. I don't have a good frame of reference for offroad suspension so I'm learning the hard way! If the shock is not adjustable to provide a smooth(er) ride on trails at my speed and weight then I will definitely pull it and have it worked on. On bumpy rocks & roots I'm working really hard and at a cardio level to the point where I have to take lots of breaks. Some of this is probably just low skill and over-working, some of this I suspect is the suspension moving me around a bunch.
    Navin likes this.
  5. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Having the suspension set to your weight, skill and terrain makes everything work better, bumps, steering, brakes and even you because you arent fighting things getting past the suspension. I agree do one then the other. That will help you figure out what is changing and how it works too.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  6. ChiefOshkosh

Oddometer:
    @GreenMT_rider
    - Can you share who you sourced the rear spring from? Or do I just look for an XX sping for a XX shock?

I picked up a FSE250e last week myself. So far I'm really impressed with the bike. Have about 8 hours on it now. Definitely a sleeper bike with good potential. Yesterday was the first good ride with the bike getting closer to being set up how I like. So far I have replaced the tires and tubes, jetted it, added a 4 tooth bigger rear sprocket and o-ring chain and a stiffer shock spring.
    The feel and handling is on par with my KTM's. The suspension has more of a mx feel than a enduro. It has a slight harsh feel over the choppy trail trash. The suspension does work great going over big stuff and woops. It also sets up well cornering. I will play with the clickers some more. The motor is great . Excellent bottom to mid but falls flat up top. Good for tight singletrack but lacks for the open stuff. The ride I did was very telling yesterday. I did a quick 20+ mile loop of thight singletrack. With my ktm 250 xcw I can average a 15mph pace at my 90% pace. I averaged 14mph with the GPX running the same pace. It didn't feel to far off.
    The build quality is good for the most part. Some of the hardware needs to be upgraded and I had a wire come out of a connector.
    Overall I've been really pleased with the bike. Time will tell how it holds up.
  7. GreenMT_rider

GreenMT_rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm using an oem KTM spring that came off a 2017 xc linkage bike. They are about 10mm shorter than the stock spring. After setting sag I have about 4-5 turns of threads left. Same ID so the fit is good.
    Navin likes this.
  8. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

What is your weight, old and new spring rate?
  9. GreenMT_rider

GreenMT_rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    215lbs without gear . Old spring is a 4.5kg new is a 4.9kg. the spring rate feels pretty good maybe still a little soft. I'm needing to loose weight and get back to 200-205lbs. At that weight it should be fine.
    It was cold today, about 25f. I can definitely say it needs to flow more oil. As the shock heated up with use it started to feel better. Just way too much damping even with the clickers backed all the way soft. Im kind of curious if all the shocks are the same or different in valving. I'm going to pull the shock off my 17 KTM xc and see if it bolts up. If it does I'm buying a used one off eBay. I can get a take off shock for $300 so it's not even worth messing with the stock one if it fits. The shock is my only bitch about the bike. Reality is for most guys it's probably fine and it does a good job over the big stuff.
    Navin likes this.
  10. GreenMT_rider

GreenMT_rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much. It worked.
  11. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I came across a vid from overseas of a gpx owner correcting his air filter cage with pressure and a heat gun. Ive binned all my OEM cages to delete the backfire screen on the 2T but just a FYI. If your cage, sans foam, rocks when locked in the air box, set it on a table, apply downforce on the center pin and heat the edges.

Continue until the cage sits evenly at the sealing edges when in the clip without a filter on it.
  12. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pulled from FB. Looking sharp.
    image.png
    Rider dad and Lutz like this.
  13. wiswoodsguy

wiswoodsguy Hickster

Oddometer:
  14. Cascade Adventurer

Oddometer:
    C5D78105-3E8C-4E89-B5DD-B2A5A9A07575.jpeg Unofficial service bulletin for 250E owners to inspect the cable boot on top of the Kei Hin carb. Mine cracked and dust was pulled into top of carb. (Carb teardown and cleaning pending) Problem caused by tight radius of cable at top of carb. Thinking about routing cable through upper frame tube and down through existing notch in tube that’s above carb to increase radius and relieve strain. I’m also planning to seal under the boot using fuel safe RTV to prevent future leaks at this area.
    Navin likes this.
  15. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

What is under the rubber sleeve? Threaded cable adjuster or just a female cup the cable rests in?
  16. Cascade Adventurer

Oddometer:
    760096A7-26C8-42C6-8726-CC743991BAC0.jpeg Female cup that metal cable housing rests in - under spring tension. My earlier idea of routing cable more directly from the top would require different cable end since this one already has a tight 90 degree bend which I just realized. (Edit: I pulled cable housing out the female cup for this picture.)
  17. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im surprised it sucked dirt in that area but a rubber hose, or a zip tie and a schmere of sealant on the original sleeve, should fix it. Check with @Pitster on it. Im sure he has something to replace that rubber.
    Pitster likes this.
  18. Bt10

Bt10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have seen heat shrink tubing work in this instance also. Just make sure it is in the bend you need before you shrink it - it gets a little hard to bend afterwards.
    Navin likes this.
  19. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bigger enduro OEM tanks have arrived!

Waiting for the official measure of actual capacity.
  20. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    ACA3CE39-AD16-4C64-81B9-9CD0A73529FC.jpeg