+2019 GPX FSE250E Air Cooled Modern MX Mountain Goat

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Navin, Feb 5, 2019.

1. crackerguy

crackerguy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah the good deals on decent dirt bikes get snapped up really quick on CL and Facebook marketplace, at least in my area. Been watching for a few months, also sold a couple of street bikes.

See tons of Harleys sitting out there though.
    Pablogordo likes this.
  2. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    Seems like everyone who wants one already has one
    Whoscook and Pablogordo like this.
  3. BUNK657

BUNK657 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I sold two dirt bikes on CL in less than 72 hours of posting them. I didn't get what I was asking, but I the buyer gave me a reasonable offer. I've got an FSE 250E and a 300R coming.
    Bitingdog, crackerguy and Grreatdog like this.
  4. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I can’t see how Harleys have any resale value. Around here 1/3 to 1/2 of all used bikes for sale on any given day are Harleys. I always have to filter them out to avoid pointless Harley scrolling.
    Bitingdog, crackerguy and Bt10 like this.
  5. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same here, how do you filter on CL?
    Pablogordo likes this.
  6. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    "-harley" in the search box. CL is pure old school Boolean. Minus in front of a word eliminates it. A * before or after a word ignores additional letters, etc.
    Bt10, DeepBarney, Bitingdog and 4 others like this.
  7. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    Yep, -harley -hd is pretty much the first thing I search for. Or not for, as it were.
  8. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    Could've mentioned this sooner in my life.... :becca
    Grreatdog, Bt10, Nobade and 2 others like this.
  9. Pablogordo

Pablogordo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hahaha yep
  10. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We can't all be married to college reference librarians.
    Bitingdog and DeepBarney like this.
  11. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    In Utah we can. :deal
    Grreatdog likes this.
  12. Kurlon

Kurlon n00b

Oddometer:
    What offset are the triple clamps? They're listing 4in trail with a 27deg rake, thinking less than the current 22mm offset norm for KTMs and possibly viable sumo setup parts?
  13. bark sampler

bark sampler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone changed to other lock-on grips? The stock ODI style lock-on ones are not bad but if the throttle translates to a KTM it would be awesome. I’ve had mixed luck filleting off those bonded throttle grips.
  14. offroadtoys

offroadtoys Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use Torc 1 lock on MX grips on several bikes. Been happy with them.
  15. dedgerly207

dedgerly207 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone weighed one of these bikes? I see earlier in the thread that someone weighed theirs and it as 283lbs with some fuel in it I assume?

I currently own a XR400 but am considering selling it and getting a FSE250E. Primary riding is tight Northeast single track (New Hampshire). With stock gearing all of my riding is 1st and 2nd gear. My XR400 is set up as a dual sport but I do not plan to plate the FSE. I am 6'1" and 225lbs if that helps in anyone's response. I am thinking stock for stock the FSE suspension is better out of the box and of course I would get electric start with the FSE. No real issues with the xr400 but I think I am looking for something a bit lighter or that carries its weight a bit better. And of course electric start is always nice to have. By the sounds of it the FSE will be approx. 15-20lbs lighter ready to ride?

Dan
  16. bark sampler

Oddometer:
    As someone with both an XR400 (basic here, no extra weight on mine) and the FSE-E, I’m not sure it will feel much lighter. When things are super tight, you can tell the GPX has some weight. The one I have also came with very harsh suspension, so thats not going to be a win either unless the 2021 is much improved.

It’s also not anywhere close to the 400 in power and motor refinement. It’s a nice simple old school air cooled 250 (slow but fun).

What is better is the chassis balance and the fact it has all the dual sport bits on it. And the fact you can leverage KTM suspension stuff onto it makes it a good platform. It goes through rough stuff straighter than the XR but isn’t always easier because of equal weight and less motor. Ergos are modern and the fit and finish is nice, most wouldn’t guess it’s from China.
    dedgerly207 likes this.
  17. Chadzu

Chadzu Lost In Space

Oddometer:
    The triples are straight KTM copies. Take specs on their website with many grains of salt
    bark sampler likes this.
  18. Chadzu

Chadzu Lost In Space

Oddometer:
    The ODI grips for KTM are direct fit for GPX. You can reuse your stock throttle cam, or one of the supplied ones. I have used a few sets of ODI. Currently have progrip 714 installed on bare ODI throttle tube. Wish ODI had something like this as lock on option
    bark sampler likes this.
  19. dedgerly207

dedgerly207 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bark Sampler, if you had to have one or the other....which would you keep?
    bark sampler likes this.
  20. bark sampler

Oddometer:
    Don’t put me on the spot like that!!! I’d try to ride one if you can. I’m curious if the 2021 cleans up the package with the 6-speed and smoother motor. That could decide it.

For now: Stock, probably the XR. But I upgraded the FSE to 2018-19 spec KTM suspension now, so it is a super sweet trail ride. It doesn’t hold me back a bit on the single track and in total comfort. It’s way more composed in trail junk and whoops as the design feels the 20 years newer. So now the E.

The 400 is fast compared to the 250E. For organized 1t trail rides, that’s fine. But open stuff with hills, it’s at a drawback. That and the front end is heavy making it much harder to hop over logs and ledges.

Honda parts and reliability with the XR4 is a definition of a proven solid package. You have to be prepared for a little tinkering and tweaking on these things. It’s just contrasting.
    dedgerly207 likes this.