+2019 GPX FSE250E Air Cooled Modern MX Mountain Goat

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Navin, Feb 5, 2019.

1. BUNK657

BUNK657 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Update for all those who have a 2021 on order:

I spoke with Mardi yesterday. She said the new bikes are on the train and heading towards Lindon. She advised that they should be able to ship them out to buyers by next week!
    Navin and crackerguy like this.
  2. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

Push that lil button on the bars trailside in a sweaty huff and you will know! Comparing to a XR400 is an odd choice, the 2V 250 is pretty much right between the XR200 2v and the 4v XR250 motor wise but the rest of the bike is the real story. Im pretty sure the new engine is going to be a treat. Im kinda bummed I dont need a new bike right now. I may have to snag a new gen crate motor for my E, and I like the original 5 speed just fine.
  3. dedgerly207

dedgerly207 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was hoping you would chime in Navin. I understand in the motor department the Xr400 will have more but I do not find myself out of 3rd gear often. I guess what I am saying is that i am OK with less power. And then there is that magic button! I would not be purchasing an FSE until December timeframe so I guess I have some thinking to do. I will either sell the XR and purchase a FSE or keep the XR and have the suspension redone for my weight and riding type.
    Bitingdog, bark sampler and Navin like this.
  4. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

With the stock low gearing on the 5 speed E it will climb a wall like a banana spider. These Zongshen mills are all alike in that regard, they deliver flat, thick torque without a spike anywhere. It feels like it has as much power at 2000 RPM as it does at 5000. Sixth gear is just going to make it better. If my E doesn't have a balancer in it, well Im going to be shocked and the new one must be incredibly smooth. Only at the very top of the RPMs does mine vibrate and thats street ridden on smooth tires so I can always feel it if its there.

I cant say I dont want one. That I dont NEED one is the problem!
    Bitingdog and bark sampler like this.
  5. Franque

Franque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just make sure that you get the lower front motor mount with it, too, (it may potentially require modification to the cradle, too) as the counterbalanced motors have a bulge in the front for the counterbalancer.
    Bitingdog, bark sampler and Navin like this.
  6. bark sampler

bark sampler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great summary on the torque. Mine doesn’t seem as smooth as you describe, not offensive, just not as refined.

Even with the 40 tooth sprocket I have torque for any slow situation. No gaps in gears. I just have the option of using 1st gear to start instead of always just going to 2nd. I don’t want a lower first even with taller gearing. One more on top would be nice at >50 mph on the road.
    Bitingdog and Navin like this.
  7. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its gonna be hard to justify as my E really does all I need from it as a neighborhood get about and dirty road light use DS. Still an engine its less $$$ than buying a full exhaust system for my KTM. (Which Id never buy anyway. )

Id bet a nickel it falls right in the frame since they shoved the 450 in it. Frame gap has its advantages! :lol3
    Bitingdog likes this.
  8. Franque

Franque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I just looked at your Fantic replica thread (assuming my memory is accurate and it's based off of this model), it'll take cutting and welding the front mounts to put it in.
    Bitingdog and Navin like this.
  9. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, maybe.

My 5 speed is darn good now. Drat, cant own them all!

7B90CF2C-A4F4-4616-A435-D59098A7F9F9.jpeg 072E604F-0728-4521-81C7-A5460FC6F856.png
    Fallacy and Bitingdog like this.
  10. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure this can be done on the non retro enduro models but Ive always had a little notch in the throttle action at just opening position. I attributed this to the 90 in the cable end at the carbs cap. So, with a $12 ebay throttle kit I swapped the cable and housing, running it up from the carb thru the frame back bone... ohhhhh thats nice. Totally cured the little glitch. The stock throttle tube fit the universal housing perfectly. The new cable didn't work with the GPX housing.

While I was in there I leaned the needle a clip and got my AS back to 1.5 out. It had been at 3-3.5 all summer. See whats what when it really cools off.

Jobs 1 and 2 done, might as well push my luck and delete the darned key... Ive been lucky with it working fine but its lead a charmed life. I had the hidden ignition up n running in about ten minutes. I was expecting Murphys law to strike me dead but everything fell together. The tank never even came off!

E2DCFB8E-A57F-4A78-9903-CC6161DB17F2.jpeg 04B19B66-6D50-4F08-8245-14E0CD651BBC.jpeg 8334B5F9-1AB2-4344-BA06-34B0F26BC053.jpeg

If this was wearing stock tank n plastics, Id still try to route a cable through the frame and pop a hole up front to pull it out. Fine throttle openings/control would have motivated me much sooner on an off road bike. On the street it was an irritant at worst.
    Fallacy and Bitingdog like this.
  11. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anybody know if the FSE250S little wheels is gonna come with the 6 sp FI motor?
  12. oldie230

oldie230 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting that Gary says the bore and stroke specs for the new 6 speed are correct on the website. (facebook post)

71mm x 62.2mm

To me that is not the 172FMM 3A engine!

That sounds like a bored version of the 69 x 62.2 AJP ZS type engine, which would make sense as it is easily bored to 71mm with plenty of meat left in the sleeve.

Has anypne seen the new engine yet and know what the engine designation on the side is??

If my supposition is correct, that means that there are many more options for big bore, cams etc than for the 172 3A engine
    Bitingdog likes this.
  13. dedgerly207

dedgerly207 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe a dumb question but I connot seem to find a straight answer; do these bikes come with a title from the factory? Or just a certificate of origin? I live in New Hampshire and we can plate dirtbikes here as long as they have a title. If they do not have a title than we have to have the police do a vin check and than apply for a title through the state.

Life would be much easier if these came with a title.
  14. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    New vehicles come with a MSO, these have one that should be fine for you. The state issues a title.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  15. crackerguy

crackerguy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Look what arrived in my driveway yesterday

[​IMG]

Pretty good first impressions on build quality, came with a nice big toolkit too. No documentation at all but pretty self explanatory. Should get it together today.

I'll get some photos of engine info later as requested.
    novaks47, nuggets, Franque and 5 others like this.
  16. BUNK657

BUNK657 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @crackerguy

Awesome!!! You might be the first to have one of the 2021.5s.

Mine are due to arrive 10/06. Send post some pics of when you get yours put together.
    Navin likes this.
  17. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do not need another air cooled bike. I do not need another air cooled bike. I do not nee...

So lets hear how she runs as far as engine vibes and the six speed! Chop Chop! Im going to ride mine to the Gulf for lunch and I expect to read a full report at my picnic table! :lol3
    novaks47, Bitingdog and Fallacy like this.
  18. crackerguy

Oddometer:
    Will try to at least get a cruise around the neighborhood later, headed out to the Hill Country late next week for the full shakedown.

Also trying to finish up the frame up rebuild of my 2007 300 XCW, off to the garage...
    Bitingdog likes this.
  19. crackerguy

Oddometer:
    Engine Pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    novaks47, nuggets, Lutz and 2 others like this.
  20. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finally a nice flexy GPX shift lever!
    Fallacy, bark sampler and Bitingdog like this.