+2019 GPX FSE250E Air Cooled Modern MX Mountain Goat

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Navin, Feb 5, 2019.

1. crackerguy

crackerguy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I guess it is a 172FMM-5, to answer that question...
    oldie230 likes this.
  2. BUNK657

BUNK657 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, when mine arrive and I get them put together, what's the best break-in oil and coolant to use? Should I do heat cycles on both bikes with the stock oil, or change it immediately? Engine ice, or regular coolant? These will my first brand new bikes, my others were bought used.

I know, I know, dumb questions, but better safe than sorry!

Kind of a bad thing, but not really. We won't be able to ride the new bikes every much after they arrive. Our trails close 11/15 to transition to snowmobile season, some years sooner than that. I'll be putting these together and prepping the sleds at the same time. The struggle is REAL!
    Navin likes this.
  3. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

I ran my FSE250R on the included oil for five hours without mercy. Stock coolant is still in it at 35 hours. I think i did a few hundred miles on the E before changing it to T4. Nothing wrong with the stock juice.
    Fallacy likes this.
  4. BUNK657

BUNK657 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Navin!!
    Navin likes this.
  5. bark sampler

bark sampler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ran mine for about an hour. Changing to a decent oil makes the clutch and transmission work mucho better. You may want to do that after a few heat cycles and before your ride just for the sake of how the clutch feels.
    BUNK657 likes this.
  6. crackerguy

Oddometer:
    Silly question...what weight oil are people running in these? 10-40?
  7. bark sampler

Oddometer:
    It’s only 1 liter, so something good. I chose a 20-50, but 10-50 seems more common now. 10-40 should be fine too, especially if it’s cooler.
    crackerguy and Pablogordo like this.
  8. crackerguy

Oddometer:
    Another silly question. How does the air filter come out? Wanted to oil it a bit better and I'm stumped.

Is there a service manual floating around out there anywhere?
  9. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

Pull the left side cover, its held by pins, then depress the tab at the bottom of the filter and press inward on the cage (inside the foam) to detach the pin on the cage. Then the cage/foam will pull out with a downward tug to release the pin on the opposite side at the top. If its not easy, you are doing it wrong.

The retention tab in red circle.

A708447B-DE85-422A-96D0-A457EDF86D8C.jpeg
    Bitingdog and crackerguy like this.
  10. crackerguy

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I have a crappy startup vid on smugmug but it won't let me embed here

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-psPTJvV/0/640/i-psPTJvV-640.mp4

Seems smoothish for a 250 thumper due to balancer, but not glassy or anything. I havent revved it much yet though. Grunty for sure, feels like a farm implement after riding the 300 two stroke. I didn't realize it was coming with a tach and a gear indicator on the dash, so bonus there.

Handling felt funny on my ride around the block, realized I hadnt aired the tires down from 58 PSI. Better now, it seems like the steering angle is sharper than the ol' KTM. Fun fact: it is taller than the 300 but with less ground clearance.

Speedo not working (i guess I placed the sensor incorrectly) and back brake may need more bleeding (it had fluid but zero pressure out of crate) but otherwise good to go.
    Bitingdog and Navin like this.
  11. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like my E, and I guess thats the 21 KTM tail on there? Overlapping edges at the side panels and rear fender? I was just admiring one at the dealership. Very smooth lines from the back and my friend who races one says its got great feel, very skinny ass end thru your boots when you are standing and back.
    Fallacy and Bitingdog like this.
  12. Cascade Adventurer

Cascade Adventurer All the gear, no skill

Oddometer:
    Looking for a cross reference on a replacement petcock gasket that's similar to this Honda gasket. I was able to extend the life of mine by flipping it around but on borrowed time and would like to replace with new and have a couple of spares. Thanks!
    petcockgasket.jpg
    Bitingdog, bark sampler and Navin like this.
  13. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think they are just off the shelf XR50/pitbike petcocks if I recalling correctly from the early batch where the pressed in tubes pulled out. Prob cheaper to buy the whole thing from ebay. I see them under $5 shipped there.
    Bitingdog and bark sampler like this.
  14. novaks47

novaks47 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    172FMM-5

Doesn't the -5 denote number of gears? Are these still 5-speeds? Or does that number not correlate to the tranny?
    bark sampler likes this.
  15. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are 6ers. It must mean something else or its just a common case to both motors.
  16. bark sampler

Oddometer:
    Or our -3 models are a 3 speed!? Come to think of it, it kind of was a 3-speed with the stock gearing. I only used 3-5th with 2nd as a bail out! (It’s pretty flat here)
    Navin likes this.
  17. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its another nod to the Navin International Five Day Editions. :lol3
  18. Franque

Franque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think there are different sub models, and the -5 is the 5th or 6th revision.
    oldie230, novaks47 and Navin like this.
  19. novaks47

novaks47 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ah, that makes more sense.
  20. BUNK657

BUNK657 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have you gotten your bike put together yet? If so, what connects to the small electrical connectors on the back side of the clutch lever? My bikes came in and I've got them 99% done. However, I can't find what connects to the clutch. Thanks.
    Navin likes this.