2019 in pictures - BikeWeek, Moab, MABDR, the UP, WY/UT/CO ... and more Moab :)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DYNOBOB, Feb 5, 2020.

1. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog Supporter

Oddometer:

We stop for lunch and fuel in Pinedale. It was here we discovered John's 640 was only getting about 28mpg. We've run about 230 miles since leaving the truck which should have been no problem with his 6+ gal tank, but he was on fumes when we fueled up. Had he not taken a couple gallons from Wild Bill's gas cans yesterday he would run out of gas a good ways back. He'd also noticed the bike was down on power as soon as we left the truck. Weird stuff since the bike ran great in Idaho last year. Over lunch we figured out the only thing different was filter skins, so we pulled it off and the bike jumped back to 40+ mpg at the next fill up.

From Pinedale we run a bit of slab and then start up to Union Pass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

B10Dave, twowings, pratered and 2 others like this.
  2. DYNOBOB

Oddometer:

Cows with a million dollar view!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bomose, DCrider, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  3. DYNOBOB

Oddometer:

Dropping down to US 26 and heading west to the Tetons.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shooting back toward Union Pass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tonight we'll grab a cabin in Coulter Bay Village and eat dinner at their restaurant.

[​IMG]

Our plan tomorrow is to head up and camp at Clover Meadows Campground in the Gravelly Range.

BillUA, Muscongus, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  4. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I guess you din't make it to the Museum of the Mountain Man, a small museum dense in knowledge, in Pinedale?
    https://museumofthemountainman.com/
    One of the things I learned there is just how short the age of the mountain man was, only about 20 years.
    If interested I recommend the book The Saga of Hugh Glass by John Meyers - not so much the movie and novel, The Revenant, which takes far too much poetic license for my liking. There are many books about Hugh Glass, but Meyers makes an attempt to piece together the most probable, factual story from letters, newspaper articles, military records, etc.
    My summary: Book written in 1963 about life in the early 1800's. Hugh from Pennsylvania, captured by pirates while at sea, forced to be a pirate, escaped, later mauled by a grizzly in the mountains, robbed of his gun and everything else and left to die. Went on a 2000 mile quest north, south, east, west to settle scores and get his rifle back. The Revenant gets the ending in particular VERY VERY wrong. Sometimes I hate Hollywood.
    B10Dave and DYNOBOB like this.
  5. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually you don't need to read the whole book, The Saga of Hugh Glass. Bouncing off the fore mentioned Museum website, I found an excellent shortened version of his story. Click on "The Real Story" on this page: http://hughglass.org/
    bomose and DYNOBOB like this.
  6. DYNOBOB

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the book recommendation, I actually just watched The Revenant last week. And thanks for the heads up on the museum in Pinedale, I might be through there w/ Wyn/Tristan in July (I marked a spot to truck camp up near Union Pass). He would love the mountain man stuff.

7. pratered

pratered Jackpiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    DYNOBOB,
    An OLD Ohio boy here, I’ve really enjoyed your ride reports, especially the parts around my adopted state ( been here in Wyoming for 37 years ).
    You really can’t get a much prettier spot to truck camp then Green River Lakes, take a canoe if you can!
    Take Care,
    Ed.
  8. DYNOBOB

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ed. I have it marked as a waypoint but have never been there. The other place I have marked was just south of Union Pass that has a view across a huge valley, it may be able to see GRL. Can't beat camping right on a lake though! Glad you're enjoying the pics!

[​IMG]

9. DYNOBOB

Oddometer:

Monday Sept 16 - Coulter Bay Village to a great campsite on Smiths Fork Rd - 166 miles

Our original plan for today was to head northwest into Montana. We've been watching the forecast for Ennis, Montana the last couple days however, and unfortunately they're calling for snow tonight. Our planned campsite up in the Gravelly Range is at 8'000 ft so we decide to turn south instead. I'm bummed, Clover Meadows Campground is one of the best places I've ever camped, but waking up in snow could be dicey. On the upside, this will put us 2 days ahead of schedule which means we can hang out in Silverton a few days and do a bunch of passes in the San Juans.

Interesting side note: We found out later that the Gravelly Range made the national news today when 2 different pairs of hunters were attacked by a grizzly over the course a few hours. Best I can tell it happened maybe 3-5 miles from where we planned to camp. In fairness, those guys were down in draws hunting elk where humans rarely go, maybe that pissed off the bear ... who knows? A week later another hunter was also attacked. All of them survived their injuries, a couple got pretty lucky. Bears are the real deal out here folks. We were all carrying good bear spray and hung our food at every camp on this trip.

https://www.kbzk.com/news/montana-n...-2-grizzly-bear-attacks-in-gravelly-mountains

https://www.kpax.com/news/montana-n...r-in-gravelly-mountains-within-about-one-week

Clover Meadows on our 2014 trip...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway, today we'll take the time to enjoy the Tetons, have lunch in Alpine, and follow the Greys River south to a great campsite I marked back in 2014.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MYUMPH and poppawheelie like this.
  10. DYNOBOB

Oddometer:

Around the corner from our cabin, great views of Coulter Bay on Jackson Lake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pratered, simmons1, Muscongus and 4 others like this.
  11. DYNOBOB

Oddometer:

Jenny Lake

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Instead of riding pavement through Jackson Hole, we jump a little west and use Fall Creek Rd.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pratered, Muscongus, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  12. DYNOBOB

Oddometer:

After lunch in Alpine we head south on Greys River Rd.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few from John ... thanks for getting a couple of me!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pratered, simmons1, Muscongus and 4 others like this.
  13. DYNOBOB

Oddometer:

While I was getting a pic of these fellows, their buddy snuck in from the right and almost got my bag of snacks from the top box. :-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting later in the day - Smiths Fork Rd is narrower and has a lot less hunter traffic then Greys River.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pratered, simmons1, Muscongus and 3 others like this.
  14. DYNOBOB

Oddometer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We messed up and rode past this campsite in 2014, ended up at a much less remarkable spot that had been burned by the Fontanelle fire. I knew we'd be back to this spot some time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dangeross, pratered, simmons1 and 5 others like this.
  15. DYNOBOB

Oddometer:

Tuesday Sept 17 - Great campsite to Flaming Gorge, Utah - 243 miles

We got up this morning to dark skies and impending rain. We packed the tents before even having breakfast and it was a good thing, 10 minutes later it started raining while we were eating our Mountain House. I have concerns about the section of road ahead marked "bad if wet", I can remember from '14 them being basically dirt roads.

Sure enough, we got just a few miles south of camp, turned off Smiths Fork Rd (green track), and it went to snot slick mud. It was like riding on ice. We all came to the same conclusion in the space of a hundred yards - there was no future in this. Somehow we all got turned around w/o any drops and we made our way over to US 89 via Smiths Fork Rd (blue track).

[​IMG]

My camera didn't come out this morning, luckily John got a few.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BillUA, B10Dave, poppawheelie and 3 others like this.
  16. DYNOBOB

Oddometer:

So we'll run south on US 89 and UT 30 to re-intersect our intended track in Kemmerer. We grab lunch there and continue south on the section of the Emigrant Trail that brought them into Ft. Bridger. Fortunately the rain had stopped after about an hour and the rest of the day was picture perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sometimes Jim gets bored and takes the hard track just for fun. :-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. DYNOBOB

Oddometer:

South of Ft Bridger we kept the hammer down until getting into northern Utah and turning east for Flaming Gorge. This part of Utah is fantastic.

[​IMG]

We're just ahead of peak color.

[​IMG]

China Meadows area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BillUA, B10Dave, poppawheelie and 3 others like this.
  18. DYNOBOB

Oddometer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Deep Creek Rd.

[​IMG]

Eating lunch in Alpine yesterday we called ahead and made a reservation for tonight at Flaming Gorge Resort.

[​IMG]

Evidence of our morning mud adventure.

[​IMG]

Tomorrow we'll head for Dinosaur National Monument.

bomose, Ducatijim, BillUA and 5 others like this.
  19. kennyh

kennyh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great stuff! Thanks for all the work to do this.
  20. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    WOW! All I can say is wow!

Fantastic pics, thanks. Stay safe.
    DYNOBOB likes this.