2019 Indian Chieftan

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by MHaz01, Sep 7, 2018.

1. MHaz01

MHaz01 I Used To Be Faster

Oddometer:
    The Indian loyalists aren't taking the 2019 Chieftan design changes very well. People on the Indian forum refer to it as the Chiefglide.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Bors and husky390 like this.
  2. Sailorlite

Sailorlite Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF

Oddometer:
    The old fairing kinda came up short, IMO. I don’t mind if it kinda looks like a batwing or shark nose as long as it doesn’t look like a copy. I just hope it retains the power windshield.
  4. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF

Oddometer:
    2019 Indian Chieftain.jpg

Not bad looking and not too much like the HD, IMO

For comparison
    [​IMG]
  5. quasigentrified

quasigentrified Bikeslut

Oddometer:
    apropos of trolling, i suppose, but i do NOT get baggers. i had a street glide as a loaner for a week and oi it was NOT fun. slow as a pig, clumsy as all get-out, and i felt like i was driving it rather than riding it. i suppose if your tendencies within the hobby lean to hauling your partner on the freeway free of elemental distractions, it'd be your bag, but i found it to be the most joyless experience on two wheels i've had.
    Endorphin and jimmex like this.
  6. SocalRob

SocalRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the front fender. Indian often has too much for me.
  7. Super Sneaky Steve

Super Sneaky Steve B@nned Club :D

Oddometer:
    Wow, that's a direct copy! Look at the exhaust, shape of the seat, shape of the tank, wheels. Put a little indian head on the HD and it's the same bike.
    husky390 likes this.
  8. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have to say, its sure looks a lot more Harleyish than they used to.
    Whether you liked it or not it was unmistakenly an Indian.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    rauchman likes this.
  9. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF

Oddometer:
    I still prefer the 2018 Chieftain Limited to both the Harley & the 2019 Chieftain.
    8B0647FD-73FE-466F-BFB4-3E1AAFFCFD04.jpeg
    Maybe I can get a discount soon.
  10. vicster

vicster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, at this point I'm not liking it.
    It looks too like Polaris might be doing the same thing here they did with Victory - make a big splash with the new model then slowly "decontent" them over the ensuing years. Then try and figure out why the hell current owners don't "trade up" to newer models.
    husky390 likes this.
  11. Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did they steal HD's design on the fairing with the air intake to stabilize turbulance?
  12. MHaz01

MHaz01 I Used To Be Faster

Oddometer:
    The fairing design does have some elements of the Victory Cross Country design in it, but still, it's very Harley-ish.

I don't know if that means Indian wants to increase market share by copying some things that represent Harley Davidson, of if they are out of design ideas.

This half-hearted attempt at a fresh design has the same feel as Polaris tinkering with Victory but not making an investment in updates, and then killing off the brand.
  13. pm9654

pm9654 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like it, though I really liked the original style as well. The big question to me, is how do the two compare? If the new one cuts wind better, and the bags are better, I'm all for the change. But I sure do see why some folks are not happy!
  14. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    Three things jump out at me: Fairing, Seat, Bags.

* Fairing - I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. I like that it is less busy than it was previously. I don't care if it looks a little like a Harley, there's only so many ways to make a fairing look on a classic styled touring bike. The important thing is how does it work

* Seat - I much prefer the look. Studs and excessive piping do nothing for me.

* Bags - I also prefer these. The older ones seemed a little too rounded. But that might be me applying a Harley aesthetic to what I think looks "right".

I could add that as much as I'm drawn to Indian based on good mechanical design choices I tend to still go for Harley on better (to me) aesthetics and design points. I guess I could add the front fender into my list above as another like. The deep valenced ones were very Indian but a bit to much for my tastes too.

I hope the whole package works well and is well received because I like having choices.
    rauchman, MHaz01 and Ginger Beard like this.
  15. BIGGERJIM

BIGGERJIM Yippee !!!

Oddometer:
    Kevm-nailed it, there are design limitations
    On bags and fairings.i own a 2017 indian springfield, and i love the looks of it.you know its an indian when you see it.
    Please don't turn these bikes into a
    Polaris Harley.
    Sailorlite likes this.
  16. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    I think the fender looks much better. The bike is less 'not a Harley' now. I think it will appeal more to folks who really want a Harley, but are conflicted.
  17. alekkas

alekkas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry - but ignorant to this.

Have they changed them all or do they still offer the traditional Indian fairing / valance on certain models and the new design on others? If the latter is the case, good for them - and cruiser riders for choice.

If there is no choice, the old fairing had driving lights integrated. Adding them to this would likely be even more Harleyish.
    Monkeyshines likes this.
  18. chickenhawk71

chickenhawk71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Indian's website still list the chieftain classic with the otner fairjng and bags for 2019 so looks like they're is a choice
    alekkas likes this.
  19. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black?

Oddometer:
    Another thing that Polaris learned from Victory was the more they look like a Harley the better they sell.
    The Cross Country was the nicest Harley made by Victory. :D
  20. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    You would have thought that the brand that claimed to be an original would have tried to do something original. Sorry Polaris/Indian... but at least to me... Harley still builds a better looking Harley than you...

Terrible...

I much prefer the 2018 Chieftain. Time/money would have been much better spent focusing on improvements of the experience on the already great bike, not some cosmetic copycat trickery. Ive pretty much lost all respect for Polaris/Indian after this move.
    rauchman likes this.