2019 Indian Chieftan

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by MHaz01, Sep 7, 2018.

1. alekkas

alekkas Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I don't get it. Lots of gnashing of teeth. That's why I asked my question earlier in this thread. Indian is still building the 'original' Indian bike and now offering another look for those who didn't like the valance fender and original fairing. I liked the original look but, of course, many didn't. So Indian responded by offering another choice. Why complain about that?

Though Polaris totally missed the plot with the 156 bike, Indian has now responded (maybe- we still have to see how it performs) with the FTR. Before any other US moco announced a sporty bike (whatever type of bike they each ultimately become) with promises of a sporty liquid cooled ohc 1200 motor.

Why the hate for a company that deems it good practice to listen to consumers?

Which, of course we all know any corp only does this to ultimately increase sales. But that's a different story and applies to all brands....
  2. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW!

Oddometer:
    Ok, I want to take a moment to look at this from a different direction.

I love the fact that Harley Davidson has competition. I don't think anyone will really argue that competition has pushed HD do to improve their product. Better reliability, motor, comfort...the product as a whole.

What challenges the competition, singularly, is that HD is a Marketing Company that builds biles. (*really, freaking amazing in truth. Perhaps one of the Top 5 Global companies that come to brand recognition!). They have done the impossible and defined the genre. Anyone competing against them has to compete against a predefined set of rules.

And therein lies the problem. I loved where Victory was going...I'm not a huge fan of Arlen Ness but I could see where they were going. Five more years...I mean, I wanted five more years. They were close...

Indian comes along and dang, I love the look of that motor. I really do. Retained all the classical lines...got the modern power and (hopefully) reliability.

Still...and I can't quite put my finger on it. It's just...too...clean. Victory kinda got away with it via Arlen Ness styling. But...no, really. The original Indian's had this great sorta industrial look while being "complete". I can't quite put my finger on it. I try...but I just don't quite get there.

So the Chieftain works for me...but I don't care to think of it as more than a Yamaha Stratoliner...which I can buy used for $4500.

I struggle with it. I absolutely WANT someone to throw down agains HD's crumbling fortress. I want Indian to succeed.

The problem is, I don't see how Indian can do anything that Victory hasn't already done. They haven't moved the market forward. The paradigm is still defined by what HD has done.

That bothers me. Entropy kills slowly.

I really want Indian to do something so big that HD gets shocked like some teenager entering the workplace for the first time...

Sadly, I just don't have that answer. I wish I did.
  3. TALLGUY

TALLGUY Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Victory was the answer.

All they had to do was be patient and let the base grow.

Entry level models with lower prices wouldn't have hurt either.
  4. TALLGUY

TALLGUY Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. IMAWILDPARTY

IMAWILDPARTY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My last bike was an electraglide and my current ride is a road glide. I like the 2018 Chieftan better than the 2019, and if I was in the market to pay what these things cost new, I'd want my Indian looking like an Indian. If It's going to look like a Harley, I'd stick with the Harley for the dealer network. I was hoping that any new fairing would be frame-mounted. Also the stock exhaust sucks on all the Indians I've been around, hopefully that's an improvement for 2019.
  6. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because they did exactly NOT that... they didn't offer "another" look, they offered a Harley-fied Indian. If I wanted a Harley looking bike... i'd buy a Harley... this "new" look is down right embarrassing in my view. HD is supposed to be Indian's arch nemesis rival, so copying them is NOT the way to distinguish yourself. If this is a "if you can't beat them, join them" kind of a thing, then Indian is done for. Their only saving grace is they will continue to offer the classic. They can get rid of their Harley-fied models later when they realize no one wants one.

I can be wrong, and time may prove that, but that is my personal view.
    rauchman, BIGGERJIM and alekkas like this.
  7. alekkas

alekkas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well it is certainly a fact that time will tell on a lot of our motorcycle ideas and opinions. I get what you are saying and just see it differently.

The only thing I am sure of is that I haven't been your way for nearly two years and that sucks. Did have 50lbs of crawfish flown in this summer though. A great boil for a bunch of my sons' friends. And, of course, the house recipe gumbo! Aaaaaaeeeeeee.... :clap
    MariusD likes this.
  8. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    Again there are only so many ways to shape a fender, fairing, or bag on a large classic touring bike. That doesn't mean they directly copied.

And no that doesn't make them less Indian. As far as I'm concerned the most important thing on a motorcycle is the MOTOR, followed closely by the chassis.

The motor and frame design is what sets it apart and it's a nice piece of kit.

Frankly my biggest problem with Victory was always how they tried so hard to be different aesthetically they found ugly.
  9. Spool77

Spool77 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Shawn Smoak's first ride and impressions

10. MHaz01

MHaz01 I Used To Be Faster

Oddometer:
    I enjoy Smoak's ride videos. He's an interesting guy and gets to ride a lot of different motorcycles.

Because he's a dealer employee riding dealer bikes, his reviews are nearly always flattering. Sometimes I'd like to hear him be a bit more critical of a motorcycle's weak points, but I doubt that will happen.
  11. Dr. Breedlove

Dr. Breedlove Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Harleys and Indians have always looked very very similar. In fact, if you removed the emblems (and the later skirted fenders), the vast majority of motorcycle riders couldn't tell which brand was which.

21 indian.jpg 21 hd.jpg 35 indian.jpg 35 hd.jpg
    Eddy Alvarez, Kevm and EZMoney like this.
  12. Dr. Breedlove

Oddometer:
    48 indian.jpg 48 hd.jpg
    Kevm likes this.
  13. rat

rat Dirty Hippie

Oddometer:
    Maybe Indian is gambling that the segment of people that buy (or in this case DON'T buy) based on their political leanings will swing on over to them, with this model.
  14. shupe

shupe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This!
  15. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    That would be pretty dumb considering that Indian is shifting EU manufacturing overseas as well (to an existing Polaris plant in Poland).
  16. rat

rat Dirty Hippie

Oddometer:
    sssssshhhhhhh.
  17. easyrider88

easyrider88 POsIng PrO

Oddometer:
    I don't think the new chieftain is very pretty.the victory vision tour is my idea of beautiful
    ragtoplvr and Rollin' like this.
  18. rat

rat Dirty Hippie

Oddometer:
    I can honestly say that there wasn't a single Victory bike that I thought was good looking, and some of them were downright ass-ugly... the Vision leads that pack.
    johnr733 likes this.
  19. Crocodile Tears

Crocodile Tears Tiny Swedish Climate Demon Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hated the chieftain. I don’t hate this though. The classic bags are so round and odd looking, and the fairing isn’t much better. This new one is a pretty blatant ripoff but it does look nice.

Then again, at those prices you might as well just get the real harley and embrace that healthy aftermarket.
    Monkeyshines and rauchman like this.
  20. Dr. Breedlove

Oddometer:
    People complain about bikes looking like Harley clones, and when Victory released a fresh new bike like the Vision, they complain about that.

I love the Vision, and when I have the cash, it'll be the next bike I own. I find HD to be the most boring, predictable cycle company on earth. Their styling is stuck in the 1990's, and now the old guys who buy their stuff are getting too old or too dead to ride. As of today, they really only have 3 motorcycle designs - the Sportster, the moronic Street series, and a zillion variations on the Electra Glide. Or Road Glide, or Street Glide or Highway Glide or WhatevertheHell Glide. The VRod had potential, but they couldn't figure out what to do with it. And I've seen their concept bikes they hope to release in 2020. They'll be obsolete before they hit the showroom floor.

Thank God Indian is out there giving them a run for their money.
    ragtoplvr, BIGGERJIM and Rollin' like this.