2019 Indian Chieftan

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by MHaz01, Sep 7, 2018.

1. keithg

keithg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You really have to own a HD or Indian/Victory to comment on these bikes. I have owned HDs since 1990 and my wife and I still do. My first bike was a HONDA CB450 in 1972. Then a CB750 and CX650T which leaked more oil than a shovelhead. WE had FXR's on 1990 and a FL in 1993 so our son could ride with us. Always had a bagger and still do BUT I had a VTR1000(Motor self destructed in 20002007 Aprilia Tuono and a 2011 Concours as its like golf clubs-you need more than ONE. HD is an aquired taste but riding 5-600 miles a day is MUCH more relaxing on a FL!
    I have bought my last HD as I need a T120 NEXT!
  2. MHaz01

MHaz01 I Used To Be Faster

Oddometer:
    OP here. For the record I the motorcycles I have owned (or now own) include(d) these touring bikes:
    Goldwing 1800
    BMW K1200LT
    Victory Cross Country Tour
    BMW K1600GTL
    HD Ultra Limited M8

I have not owned a Roadmaster, but I've spent hours on a Roadmaster owned by a friend, and have gone on numerous Roadmaster demo rides.
  3. rat

rat Dirty Hippie

Oddometer:
    You specifically said "who knows if that STYLE will still be current...". Now you're moving the goalposts.

As to the Visions "greatest appeal"... if it was such a "great appeal" it would have sold better. It did not. I would say the non-existence of said model (and entire range) speaks louder than any forum debate.
  4. Dr. Breedlove

Dr. Breedlove Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Me - "But I can absolutely guarantee one thing - the performance of that HD will not come near that of the Ducati or the Kawasaki. "

You - "You can't "guarantee" anything, BTW... you can speculate, you can pontificate, but you cannot "guarantee" anything about it."

Not moving goalposts.

Lots of bikes that were great ideas didn't sell. Crocker, Vincent Black Prince/Knight, Matchless Silver Hawk... The prices of those bikes today speaks louder than any debate.

5. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    Why does it have to?
    sloryder and rauchman like this.
  6. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I remember the first time I saw a Victory Vision, first thought was WTF were they thinking! Wife saw it and said "don't ever bring one those home!" No problem I hate the Vision.
    A few years later we were at a new Victory dealer and they had a new Vision 8-Ball in the middle of the showroom. I stopped and said "wow!"
    Wife says "you aren't thinking buying one, are you?" Me "no, I hate the Vision"
    About a week later I went back and bought it. :D

Rode Victory's for 10 years, rode the Vision for 5 of those years with no issues.
    It was an adventure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I liked it but woulda bought this...

vision.jpg
    MHaz01 likes this.
  8. rauchman

rauchman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I understand your being honest in your opinion of HD's soon to be new offerings, but my opinion differs. I am becoming gaga over the PA and really dig the look of the SF. I very much applaud HD for developing some non cruiser type bikes, and this is from a current HD cruiser owner. Sure, the markets they are attempting to play in are pretty well developed, and to some degree, already saturated. Having said that, like how other companies put out cruiser offerings to get a slice of the cruiser market pie, why shouldn't HD play in other bike sandboxes to get some love there as well? I can't speak globally, but at least in the U.S.A., these new HD offerings have a shot.

Have to agree with Kevm, in that the age of the average HD rider more or less correlates to the average age of a luxury car owner. Since I've gotten into motorcycling in 2002, I've read the same thing every year..."HD's customers are growing older, and their base is dyeing off". Bullshit. Yes, as people age, they will die, but I have never ever seen someone say, "what about the current 20-30 year olds that in 10-20 years will be the next generation of HD riders?". I am one of those people. To me, it sounds like HD almost has a guaranteed continual customer base because.....people age. People refine what they are looking for based on their personal experience. I don't know, but I would guess a good chunk of current HD riders came from other brands of bikes, or at the very least, have experience on other bikes, to include more than just cruisers. Yet with all that experience, they are choosing HD at least 50% of the time in the US for large displacement bikes. Current HD cruisers benefit from HD finally getting off their ass and truly making a rider's bike in the format of a cruiser. Current HD's kick ass. I truly look forward to see what these new bikes are like. I can only imagine what it's like to be an engineer right now at HD. Finally, the gloves are off!

As for the Indian, I went with my buddy 2 weekends ago for him to look at a used 2016 BMW R1200RTw an Indian dealer had as a trade in. While the paperwork got filled out, credit cards got used, and excitement was in the air for my friend (I am very happy for him and crazily envious of the deal he got), I walked the dealership floor to sit on a few bikes. No question, they make a nice looking (and from reviews I've read) and functioning motorcycle. While the historical aesthetics on Indian's previous offerings give a way for Polaris to connect to their consumer in a way that Victory couldn't, I applaud them also for giving their consumers an option with evolved styling. Something else...if you will. Personally, I'd rather get an HD because of aftermarket and dealer network, and .....I like HD's.
    shupe likes this.
  9. 2tallnwide

2tallnwide Long timer

Oddometer:
    The new base Chiefglide looks better to me, and I'm glad they released them. The Indian pages were getting a little stale, but not since this release...ohhhh man. :lol3

I haven't seen so many grown men whining since I left GSpot. :augie As for the new Chiefglide itself, why not copy one of Harley's best selling motorcycles when you're trying to take sales away from them?

Nice to see the tacky plastic off centered chrome strips removed from the bags. The bag lid fit still isn't great, but they look a lot better than the classic. Hope they lose the K-Mart blue light special passenger pegs soon too.

Still need to frame mount the fairing before I'll be interested enough to test ride one again, my last test ride was a Roadmaster at Americade last year, it only made me like my Road Glide Ultra even more.

As always, Y'sMMV
    bobw and Kevm like this.
  10. alekkas

alekkas Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, you don't. In fact, these bikes are being built exactly for guys like me that DON'T own an Indian or HD. Guys in the US that DON'T share some of your thoughts - if that sounded confrontational, that was not my intent. Really :D

I want to buy a US built bike that speaks to me. I am in my lower 50's and can afford one given a reasonable value proposition. I am confident the HP and torque will be enough for fun on the street - and it doesn't have to be 160 HP or whatever. Less than that is plenty for aggressive / fun street riding. Weight and suspension and handling are the key factors.

I owned a sportster and a RK at one point. They didn't do it for me enough to still be in the garage. I do look forward to something that was promised with the 156 but never delivered. Who knows, maybe the hipsters will latch on and I'll be in style. I just know the bike I want and other guys I ride with at a pace that we consider sane but cruisers can't hang in the tight stuff.
    c_m_shooter and rauchman like this.
  11. rauchman

rauchman Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Gotta tell ya. I've followed some of your threads. You should be paid a royalty from Polaris. You made one of the ugliest bikes every made.....cool.
    Rollin' likes this.
  12. tennmoto

tennmoto Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe in test riding.i tested some of the new HD 107s and wow, the small Street Bob with that new motor, wow!
    I test rode the Indian Vintage which isn’t a bagger but still a pretty big bike, but it was a nice ride, like a Velvet
    Carpet ride, didn’t fell big.
    As far as who’s reaching the market, no one knows everything, Ducati is increasing sales, Indian too.
    Some brands are held together by their forums like Moto Guzzi and Bmw, Triumph. My belief is a reasonable
    Price simple motorcycle is a good idea for all. There’s gotta be a ceiling for $30k motorcycles. I don’t even want one
    That’s not elemental motorcycling.
  13. Spool77

Spool77 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree to a point. Sometimes he is a little critical but never overly so. I've always gotten the impression that he is one of those guys that just absolutely loves nearly all motorcycles, so even when he rides one he isn't super enthused about he just focuses on the positive aspects. But yeah, taking out dealer bikes and then slamming them in the process probably wouldn't go over too well lol
    MHaz01 likes this.
  14. quasigentrified

quasigentrified Bikeslut

Oddometer:
    about 150 lbs lighter, no weight on the front forks, far better at both low speeds and in the curves (more clearance, more centralized mass distribution, better suspension, narrower profile tires), more elemental exposure and less dashboard geegaws (a plus for me)
    jimmex likes this.
  15. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    Actually not all of this is true:

I mean if you're comparing the Heritage to the Street Glide or Street Glide Special the numbers are actually:

* There's only about ~101-113# lighter - Heritage (723# 107 / 728# 114) vs. SG (829#) SGS (836#)

* There's LESS ground clearance on the Heritage (4.7") vs SG (5.3") SGS (4.9")

* There's LESS cornering clearance on the Heritage (27.3/28.5 degrees) vs SG (31/29 degrees) SGS (32/31 degrees)

* And the reverse triple trees on the FLH models have long made for very light/very effective low speed cornering.

I'm not going to tackle the subjective "better" suspension, I think that's arguable either way. I'm very happy with the FLH suspension (but I've got the last year of the airshocks apparently). The new Softails certainly have decent and arguably more taught/sporty suspensions, but that doesn't always translate to better.

Granted, I'm a fan of the Heritage, but everything isn't roses.
  16. quasigentrified

quasigentrified Bikeslut

Oddometer:
    i'll defer to your data, but the heritage feels so light and flickable both in parking lots/deep traffic and twisties alike, while the street glide feels wallowy and cumbersome -- in my experience. i had to hang off the seat to get around tight city corners at a decent clip.
  17. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think it's that touring frame and rubber motor mounts.

I wish they would make a touring frame with a monoshock next and then rigid mount the counterbalanced M8.
  18. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    Well, "feelings" are subjective and they can be quite deceiving, though I do wonder if the 19" front wheel the Street Glide uses contributes to that feeling.

Obviously you don't HAVE to hang off an FLH seat to corner tightly...

I will admit that I miss the days when the RK was the same weight as the current Heritage, and the RK used to come on 130/90-16's front and rear!
  19. 2tallnwide

2tallnwide Long timer

Oddometer:
    Obviously one does not even have to own a motorcycle, or know much about them to comment here. :lol3 :augie

I had a rental M8 SGS for a few days. It felt smallish, and nimble to me. I did manage to make it a tad "wallowy" feeling pushing it hard in tight curves but hadn't adjusted the suspension, or checked air pressures either so not sure if that would have cured it or not. My '16 Road Glide Ultra has never done that, period. (perhaps owning the RGU is why the SGS felt like a mini bike to me. :D )
  20. Dr. Breedlove

Dr. Breedlove Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Because HD is jumping into a market they do not define. HD defines the cruiser market, so any entrant into that segment has to exceed HD's performance in order to stay relevant. But the streetfighter market is defined by bikes like the Triumph Speed Triple. So unless HD can meet performance figures like a 10.5 sec. 1/4 mile and 0-60 in under 3 sec., they're wasting their efforts.